posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:29 PM
a reply to: nonspecific
Yeah I've juiced myself a couple times. The worst was maybe 7-8 winters back when the main breaker went on our breaker box at just about 9:00 PM. I
ended up running out to Home Depot and buying a whole new box and wiring it by flashlight. I was putting in the last couple breakers and I'd already
flipped the main on to get the heater running. Long story short, I was pushing one of the breakers in and my hand slipped and hit the bus.
That's nothing to my latest DIY injury though. I was putting in new hardwood floor in the living room a few months back and at the literal last piece
— this small strip before the transition to the kitchen — and the first piece I cut was a bit too narrow. It was like 11:00 PM on a Saturday, I'd
been working on it for a few days during the night and then most of Saturday and I really wanted to finish it up so I could move in the furniture. So
I went back to the table saw and cut another piece. As the two halves were coming off the back, I was afraid the one piece might kick out so I went to
grab the pieces and lift them off quickly and I was paying way more attention to my left hand and not enough to the right. Ended up brushing the blade
with my thumb and THWACK. First thought was that it was cut off. Second thought was OMFG, I've just mangled myself for life.
I'd post the picture from the ER but I'm pretty sure it would violate T&C. I didn't really have the stomach to look at it before it was being sutured
except a quick glimpse as I put a towel on it. The nurse at the reception desk looked at it though and then she called back for a room. The person on
the other end of the line must have asked what my injury was and she said, "he cut his thumb with a chainsaw." That momentarily freaked me out of the
haze of agony I was in and I was like "wtf, how bad is it?"
I lucked out though. Bone was untouched, no damage to tendons/ligaments, etc and the cuts (scar looks like a 7) went right around to the nail but
didn't break it or cause it to come off. However, the doctor could only suture a little under half of it because there was a big chunk of tissue
missing. All in all, very lucky and it's mostly functional again now if a bit chewed up looking!
Here's to all those who have given blood offerings to — or have been filled with the electrifying spirit of — the gods of DIY!
edit on 2016-4-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)