It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Brokered Convention: Great Television, Bad Politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

The last thing…the very last thing…the Republican Party needs is to see the nation flooded with images of a “brokered convention” that in fact reeks of contempt for the average conservative voters who have thought long and hard about their choices and, collectively, have emerged with two out of the original seventeen.

If one thinks one knows the outcome of this volatile race, one is a fool. But it is far from foolish to understand that based on the most basic experience of television coverage of political conventions, the televised coverage of a “brokered convention” - now supplementing the television networks with cable news, freelance cell phones and social media - would be anything but an utter disaster for the nominee and the party at large.

Brokered convention selfies, anyone? No thanks.
A Brokered Convention: Great Television, Bad Politics

Should Democrats be cheering on a GOP brokered convention? It looks like a win by Trump in the first round of voting would assure a Democrat win. Barring a miracle, it looks like a brokered convention will guarantee a Democrat win as well.

I suppose Democrats should have a preference for a win by Trump in the first round of voting.

After all, the craziness of a brokered convention could somehow produce a candidate that could conceivably win.
edit on 4-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
Well, we can hope against all odds that the American people at least begin to see through the facade of the 'two' political parties that have a stranglehold on the country, if there are brokered conventions.
It isn't looking nearly as likely that the Democrats will have a brokered convention, but that will hinge on whether or not Hillary has any legal problems to deal with before the convention..... or, if by some miracle, Bernie could garner enough votes to keep her from getting the required number of delegates.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

This was an obvious Democrat win all the way back in mid-2015. As soon as Trump joined the GOP race and altered the course and dynamic of it, that was when they lost. What's going on now is just the death throes of the GOP playing out the remaining cards in their hand.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I must say, this cycle of presidential nonsense has been one of the most disturbingly comical farces, that I have witnessed since the assembly of the Liberal Democrat/Conservative coalition government that was in power in my nation for a while last parliament around.

The individuals who remain in the running are about as different as it is possible to be (by which I mean that both of the front running candidates, republican and democrat, go to the same parties, have the same people on speed dial and mistakenly believe they have earned their money, rather than just benefiting from the efforts of others).

What I find ironic about this whole situation, is that both the republicans, and indeed the democrats, have more genuine, grassroots options than you can shake a stick at. The republicans could have had the eldest of the Paul family, if someone had thought to motivate the fellow after his last attempt, and similarly, Bernie at least DOES represent an alternative to business as usual hyper capitalism, which although terrifying for some, is at least different to the eternal cluster bang which has prevailed thus far.

And yet, the front runners are predictable puppets of this interest group, that hedge fund (Trump has no interest in preventing government over reach or curtailing the power of corporations to crap all over people's freedoms, privacy, and all that jazz. It would cost him too much to run his own affairs fairly, after all!), and the other "hidden" agenda.

What I would like to know, is why? Why is it, that it is only those who are MOST notable for their failures and excesses, who have been recognised by the population of the USA, as potential leaders? Are we seriously at a stage where Americans are choosing between the gossip queen who cannot keep a secret properly, or the fat kid who cannot stop eating innocent people's lives and wallets?

What the heck is that about, exactly? I have been paying really close attention, and all I can see is a nation setting itself up for a fall!

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
What I would like to know, is why? Why is it, that it is only those who are MOST notable for their failures and excesses, who have been recognised by the population of the USA, as potential leaders? Are we seriously at a stage where Americans are choosing between the gossip queen who cannot keep a secret properly, or the fat kid who cannot stop eating innocent people's lives and wallets?

What the heck is that about, exactly? I have been paying really close attention, and all I can see is a nation setting itself up for a fall!

I wrote about part of my answer to that in the following thread:

IQ only measures capacity, consider the implications of that in terms of 'Idiocracy'

I believe Americans have completely lost touch with reality for the reasons discussed in the thread above and other reasons. I believe that was orchestrated intentionally by TPTB.

To answer the specific thing that you brought up, I think there was something that happened that TPTB never saw coming. I don't think they ever thought that dumbing down the masses and attempting to destroy the health and well-being of the masses would end up destroying them as well.

They've been caught in their own spider's web so to speak. And, the really frightening thing is, just like everyone else, they're probably not even aware of what has happened.

I believe that it may be an irreparable problem. Add in Fukushima radiation and its effects and it probably is.
edit on 4-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

That is a very well constructed theory.

The idea that what we are seeing now is simply an unforeseen consequence of runaway side effects of the wool that has been drawn over the eyes of populations for generations, makes sense of a great many things. The possibility that you are right however, has some very dark implications for the future.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The GOP gave the Dems the White House the moment they turned on their front-runner. Sure, he wasn't the one they wanted, but they basically doomed themselves as a party when they did so, rather blatantly. Neither Trump nor Cruz now, can beat Hillary or Bernie in the general election. The GOP fate is sealed.

My prediction is that come 2024, the GOP will no longer be a political party. A new one will rise before then. One with conservative fiscal values and for small government, but without the religious hang-ups of the old Republican party.

If Trump is obviously the front-runner, and the GOP pulls something to push forward another candidate, I will have NO problem voting Dem right down the ballot, and many other Republicans feel the same. Ignore our primary votes at your own peril.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Good for the ratings no doubt.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

If Trump is obviously the front-runner, and the GOP pulls something to push forward another candidate, I will have NO problem voting Dem right down the ballot, and many other Republicans feel the same. Ignore our primary votes at your own peril.

That, sir, is exactly what needs to happen. They need to get the message, but I have a feeling they wouldn't care anyway.
As much as I shudder at the thought of a 'President Hillary' or a 'President Bernie', I would shudder at the thought of any of the D or R candidates being elected.

edit on b000000302016-04-04T09:29:35-05:0009America/ChicagoMon, 04 Apr 2016 09:29:35 -0500900000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

America still has the libertarian party.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

All I know is commercials during the televised GOP convention will go for top dollar. The media knows everyone is going to want to watch the circus unfold. Pass the popcorn!

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I won't be paying any attention because as you point out, a Trump win insures Hilary and a Trump loss insures Hilary.

The only way I'd watch the convention is if there's oodles of violence.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Agreed.
I would watch it for that reason.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

My prediction is that come 2024, the GOP will no longer be a political party. A new one will rise before then. One with conservative fiscal values and for small government, but without the religious hang-ups of the old Republican party.

I totally agree...except who's going to pay for it?

All of american politics is now about money. Money.

Unless and until we fix that - we're doomed.

On a side note - there will be 2 brokered conventions unless Hillary gets indicted first.

And that's a *fact*.

Interesting year, n'est pas?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Can the Democrats even have a brokered convention without Bernie taking New York?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Trump can definitely win in November whether he's up against Hillary or Bernie because of turnout. This is objectively true. Otherwise, there would be no point in desperately, blatantly trying to steal the nomination, which is extremely risky for the party for the long run.

It seems mostly like a Bush gang thing. They'd rather lose than lose control of the Republican party. Trump will out last THEM and the country will be much better off for it. Romney, Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz have all basically destroyed their future political careers already by being openly plotting to steal the nomination by any means necessary. The Republican party establishment is basically worthless and is overdue for a performance review and a refresh. "You're fired."
edit on 4-4-2016 by 11andrew34 because: clarification

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
why is everyone so hardset about trump not being able to beat hillary? you really think hes gonna hold off on dropping blows on her?> literally?
he will expose her for what she is, and make democrats think about their decision.
research clinton body count
research bill clinton children
research benghazi
research hillary email servers

she has lil to nothing on donald. trump himself said this was a test... and he is the front runner. everyone thought hed be out by november, yet hes the front runner...
he will gain traction, and i think theres so much we as ordinary citizens dont know about hilldog. trump has been backstage at her concerts, and im sure theres a couple of groupies that had some stories.

but... when it all boils down to it, #voteforjessieventura! jessie will enter this race, and i think he will be a breath of fresh air

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Get your popcorn ready then. One of the only things Trump is right about is when he said there would be riots if his voters are disenfranchised. There will be if the GOP props up another candidate in a contested convention. If people are appalled by the minor outbreaks of violence at his rallies, wait till Cleveland. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

new topics

top topics

join