It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why white people need to stop saying 'namaste'

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

i know i hat when i hear hindi store owners say whats up thats how
americans greet each other where im from
so i dont go to their stores no more i mean its bad enough they are hindi owned
lol .......sorry i cant even finish it i love the hindi people i go to ameristop all the time
but if i made an artical lik ethat i would be strung up

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Its hilarious when you do another culture badly.

But in the end, we are all humans, and our collective cultures are the property of all of us.

The same way we have "Cultural Heritage Sites". We all are an amalgamation of that which comes before us, and what we leave will be the precursor to whatever comes after us.

Our culture, or civilization, is the heritage of our species. Both beautiful and ugly.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist Maybe folks that use Yoga for health and fitness should call it something else, same with Tai Chi or Qi Gong if it makes your body healthier, then anyone should be able to practice it for free.

I read a Christian article saying how Christians should stay away from Yoga all together because Yoga is worshipping different Gods.

Your post was very thoughtful, thank you.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Yeah, only white people do that. Black people aren't allowed to do yoga.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: peppycat

Its hilarious when you do another culture badly.

But in the end, we are all humans, and our collective cultures are the property of all of us.

The same way we have "Cultural Heritage Sites". We all are an amalgamation of that which comes before us, and what we leave will be the precursor to whatever comes after us.

Our culture, or civilization, is the heritage of our species. Both beautiful and ugly.
Nicely put, I agree.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: darkbake

Yeah, only white people do that. Black people aren't allowed to do yoga.

I think I read that in the handbook.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
With the practice of yoga in particular I do often get irritated by the way it is practiced in the mainstream of the United States. This is because for me Yoga is a spiritual practice that is supposed to be used for energy work, body-mind-spirit cleansing, and for transcendental experiences. The classes I have gone to a few times are superficial and just focus on the flexibility element for some reason and I get confused on what is the actual perspective of the people in the class. There is also the feeling that some of the people are Christians which wouldn't make sense when Yoga is still cerebrating Hindu, Buddhist, and pagan ideas at one level or another even for Western Yoga. The energy is really off and there is a lot of passive-aggressive vibes going around from my experiences in a typical mainstream class. I guess they are never going to satisfy my expectations of depth psychology and subtle energy practices lol...

I'm just going to stick with my community I'm apart of that actually knows how to properly use Yoga in combination with visualizations, chakra centers, tai chi, qigong, and other subtle healing martial art practices...

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
i'm essentially cutureless and caucasian myself, I could latch onto any of my choosing, yet some would deny based on pigment

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Which manual? The oppressive white male one or the yoga cultural appropriation one? I haven't read the yoga one, but I bet it's in both.

The world and cultures are meant to be shared. That's how we get better. Smash all our crap together, pick out the golden corn kernals, plant them and watch humanity grow.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The saddest part of the entire article is this:

Instead of complaining and demanding people stop using a word, perhaps she could be a teacher and ask the instructor what the word means. If the instructor understands what it means and the class embraces it, perhaps it would not be such a bad thing.

Namaste in short roughly translates out: I bow to the divine in you.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Which manual? The oppressive white male one or the yoga cultural appropriation one? I haven't read the yoga one, but I bet it's in both.

The world and cultures are meant to be shared. That's how we get better. Smash all our crap together, pick out the golden corn kernals, plant them and watch humanity grow.

Well...not to mention the inconvenience to the author of the article having terms like "Indo-European" actually exist.

It all sprang from the same well to begin with. Then was shook up and mixed around a few hundred times afterwards, for good measure. And now we have an illusion of being different as a catalyst for discussion.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

And you know what the funny part is?

Most of this 'white hatred' you see, is from whites on Tumblr and other social media.

Good old SJW's who think that culture appropriation and micro aggressions are a real thing.

White people are just eating themselves alive from the inside out.

~Tenth

Because they have been taught to do otherwise is racist.

People like the one writing this article make me want to vomit.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I love how the nutty left wants to tell us they believe in a multicultural society, but then accuse anyone that partakes in multiculturalism as a cultural appropriator. It's kinda like the whole feminist thing, open the door for me, and you are sexist, don't open the door for me and you are sexist.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I actually think she is partially right. In a time when cultures live together so close like never before, we should foster our own heritage.
I mean sure everybody is entitled to live like they want and say what they want, but in general those born and raised at place x should sound that way. Or there won't be a multi coloured society.
For example, if you visit Paris, or Munich, or Houston you want to hear salut, servus etc. and not namaste, right?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: xicor
With the practice of yoga in particular I do often get irritated by the way it is practiced in the mainstream of the United States. This is because for me Yoga is a spiritual practice that is supposed to be used for energy work, body-mind-spirit cleansing, and for transcendental experiences. The classes I have gone to a few times are superficial and just focus on the flexibility element for some reason and I get confused on what is the actual perspective of the people in the class. There is also the feeling that some of the people are Christians which wouldn't make sense when Yoga is still cerebrating Hindu, Buddhist, and pagan ideas at one level or another even for Western Yoga. The energy is really off and there is a lot of passive-aggressive vibes going around from my experiences in a typical mainstream class. I guess they are never going to satisfy my expectations of depth psychology and subtle energy practices lol...

I'm just going to stick with my community I'm apart of that actually knows how to properly use Yoga in combination with visualizations, chakra centers, tai chi, qigong, and other subtle healing martial art practices...
I couldn't agree more. Western yoga classes, certainly the ones I have been to tend to lack the spiritual aspects and if truth be told, I find it a little disheartening when the teachers start going on about chakras and visualising balls of light.

I'll expand a little more on this subject to highlight what I feel is lacking. If you study any form of cultural system that uses our conciousness, life force and spirituality you will see that there is wealth of information out there that contradicts itself. Did you know that most Satanists, for example don't believe in the traditional 7 chakra system, instead opting to use a 13 point system. If on top of that we compound language and cultural concepts that are alien to people from a different cultures then what happens is the original teachings become lost.

Many people get confused over what namaste means. Could it be the offence that taken over this is because when a westerner,who usually doesn't have an smidgen of spirituality starts using this word they don't understand what is the divine?

Imagine if you will, an agnostic or atheist using this word to someone who doesn't just believe in yogic practices, but lives them and has done since very young... I can see the offence this would cause. Half these teachers don't know what they are talking about, preferring to regurgitate new age dross wholesale. Some don't even understand what is the divine, preferring to see themselves in the whole as it.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Why white people need to stop saying 'namaste'

So, what you are sharing is that some racist moron somewhere has an ignorant opinion (imagine that!) and I should give a crap why?
There's enough similar racists here who are thrilled to share their opinions!
Namaste, and count my fcuking corn rows! Bruh! *__-

edit on 5-4-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Namaste niggah!
pc police mf.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I as a white man (if that's what I am labelled as) feel no guilt but then again as I have explained before, I was born in Northern Ireland, I'd never seen a different colour person in the flesh or even in colour on TV before I came to London, I had no built in preconceptions so to be honest I never saw myself as a colour, just another life form trying to get on with life on this often miserable planet and I'll be damned if someone will try and change my ability to speak as a person or control my feelings towards what I'm allowed to say or do based on incredibly stupid social rules.

The text from the girl in the lead post just reads like a reverse BNP racist leaflet, its an incredibly depressing and deep thought process believing you have right of denial based upon skin or culture.

The world is preoccupied with collating and pigeon holing people, giving them social boundaries while others are excused when they tread all over this principle, I personally refuse to be put in that hole and told what is appropriate for my colour class or social standing by people whose arguments don't stack up. This planet is already heading towards a prison state way of life, what liberties we have get eroded daily but while I'm treading this planet the liberals can throw insults my way and they will wash of me but dare they stand in my way and try to control me and that will be a heated day.

Respect and morals, two principles long since trashed but not in MY universe...
edit on 5-4-2016 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think the girl in the OP is wrong. I equate this to the black girl who accosted the white kid for having dreads. Its ignorance.

That said, I often find that the people who rage about so called white guilt and take offense to SJWs who care for minorities are nothing more than bigots or full blown racists. The first page of this thread reads like a comment section from a white nationalist blog. If you don't understand why "sjw" white men and women care about the minority in america, maybe you need to check your lack of empathy

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This is exactly what the Yoga trainer is GTA5 says all the time, basically to give off the impression that he is a total douche. Is it some sort of joke or stereotype among Yogi's? Lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join