It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On posting in ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I feel like there's a science to it.

From the visual layout of posts (walls of texts make the brain tired, so they are less successful) to the content and flow of thought (is it an easy read?).

And I think there's a psychology to it, like people who often write one-liners in comments. Why do they do that? Or others who write six paragraphs in a response(like me- and it's definitely because I always feel like I have so GD much to say, it's kinda embarrassing) or those who write between a combination of one-liner statements and paragraphs (those are my favorite type who I aim to become like one day).

Maybe there's even an evolution that happens... like the walls of texters become the balanced compositors of a short series of one-liners who then slowly evolve to become the one-liners.

Also, where your response lands on the page seems to matter. Is it at the top of the page? The middle, or the bottom? And if the thread is already four pages long, do you feel like your response might not be read/won't matter as much as, say, if yours was one of the first responses on the first page? And also, if you've created your own thread... at which point do you stop feeding it? And do you stop so as not to appear too needy and desperate? Idk the answers to these questions, but if you do... let a gal know, please.

And on another note, the starring system at ATS actually does elicit a real emotional response in me. To the point where sometimes I even feel a little unloved when my responses go ignored/unstarred. But when there's an explosion of stars, flags, and responses going on, I won't deny it... it makes me feel good and giddy inside like I just said something really, really important! And all that reinforcement isn't for naught, no! The little rush inside gives me all the more incentive to shoot for the stars again (quite literally in this case with ATS's starring system) and it's what really keeps me around. So the starring and flagging system? I'd say it's pretty efficient in terms of producing emotional incentive to stick around.

I know it's silly, but tbh, if all of you ignored me all of the time then I'd feel less and less inclined to participate and come back.

But before I gave up, I admit... I would try to figure out what I can do to resolve that situation and increase starring attention. That doesn't mean that I'd gladly get naked to gain attention, but it does mean I will try to do better and "be so good that they can't ignore you," as steve martin puts it. And if I still didn't get the desired attention despite all my efforts, I might resort to a little trolling at that point before I left for good. Just being honest.

And there you have it. My deepest thoughts about participating on ATS.
edit on 2-4-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise
In my school and college days, i was feared for my whole-page paragraphs. And also my paragraph-long sentences. A tutor grumbled at me "Why do you keep joining sentences together with "and"?".
Posting threads on ATS has taught me my current technique of starting most sentences on a fresh line, with gaps between paragraphs.

My responses on threads will be long or short depending on what needs to be said, though I tend to go up to the character limit (7413) on my own opening posts.

My threads don't last long enough for "when do you stop?" to be an issue.
I let them go when people have stopped responding, or when the last response was trolling.

edit on 2-4-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

OK.
I ruined it.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The gaps are soooooo important! ^5!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

lol, how?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Some members who have been here a while tend have done the 6 paragraph thing, so the one liners are all they have left in them!

You are right the first page of replies tend to get the most stars. The psychology behind that is (I think) people skim the first posts and then tend to follow less the longer the thread goes on, unless members engage in debate or dialogue going forward.

Regarding your personal stars, I for one really enjoy your posts and thought just the other day what a pleasure it was to have you on ATS. Focus your thoughts in your posts, don't worry about the stars, instead be comfortable you got out what you wanted to say.

Your not on ATS to get stars (they are useless anyway the starring system is glitched ) you are on ATS to share you great opinions.
Keep sharing them

ETA just never do walls of text (not saying you do), break up paragraphs and I'll always read them!

edit on 2-4-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
All I can say is just go with the flow Babe..

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

lol, how?

I made it two lines...
Now I've gone a made a second post.

And I failed to ignore you!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I always enjoy your posts as well! Everything you just said makes tons of sense and I love that.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Something tells me this threads gonna make you fell all giddy again.

Personally, when on ATS, I try to convey the maximum message with the minimum amount of words and that might take a single line or an entire page. I have come to know the writing styles of the regular contributors which have developed into my own little e-personalities I've assigned to said members.

Great rant
edit on 2-4-2016 by Sublimecraft because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

lol! Well ty I really appreciate not being ignored! ily.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Ty! The straight skinny of any thing or situation really gets me off, so focusing thought and concentrating ideas are my idea of a good time, too. Cheers!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
There is no formula to it - unless you are a total star and flag whore. Then all you need do is sit at your PC waiting for news to break and then post a lot of content from elsewhere and a few words of your own. If you just like stars then post the 2nd or 3rd comment in a thread. Because people start forgetting after a while when a thread starts to grow. But do stars or flags really matter that much?

Some people even get stars for who they are on here even if they post two words or a silly photograph. Sort of a cult of ATS going on there.

If you post on a topic you truly are interested in then how much attention a thread gets depends on a number of variables. It's a bit like writing a song. If you hit the right notes at the right time and enough people get exposed to what you are saying then it starts snowball and gets more attention until it hits the front page. Even if you write nonsense or it sounds completely dumb (just like some songs).

But you can pull together what you think is your finest post, put it out there, and hardly anyone notices. Maybe someone else posted something that distracted attention. Maybe it's a slow day. Or perhaps a large news event is breaking. Your thread gets buried and lost.

Nicely spaced paragraphs, clear concise English and adding the odd picture helps make a good post. But at the end of the day, if you post on subjects which you are truly interested in, then you just have to do your best. Then it's all down to those 'variables' and whether other people see your thread and are interested enough to pay attention.

edit on 2/4/16 by mirageman because: wrong word

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I rarely post beyond the first page and try and rely on watered down wit; probably because I have no ego issues and could care less about Stars...

Good OP

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I like a good read.. and a good layout..
but i don't like obvious "Star Whoring".

Don't mind one liners .. I hate block text.

Hate threads where the op is trying to hard and pads
something out, so that the thread looks more researched.

Hate threads where the experince is a lie, but you can't prove it..

Your OP was layed out well and stuck to the point.

Some on here can fart and get a hundred stars for.. but it
takes all kinds to make this train stay on the tracks..

Good evening to you !

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Meh, creation involves art and science. You can't get caught up thinking there's any real recipe to what people ultimately will be involved in marking as good or not, because what individuals, groups, and the culture as a whole likes or dislikes ebbs and flows over time. I've dabbled in it a bit, and honestly it's not too difficult to accumulate a lot of stars, but being a star whore means you're giving up a bit of freedom of mind to conform to trends that have already been set.

Trendsetters are in actuality taking great risk, and rarely being promoted for their work. They're not in hollywood, and they may not even realize what they're doing is so influential. The way our collective subconscious takes in information and chooses shifts in perception, choosing this symbol to relish over the next, and which arrangements of colors to like for an unknown period of time... there's simply a lot of risk in being the first person to say screw it and go for that before it's a thing.

I've settled on being most satisfied by being myself to whatever extent I can get away with and not be banned around here. I'd rather feel that I was true to my own principals, however removed from the group they may happen to be or not. I don't care to be a contrarian or follower, rather someone who has an independent mind and is appreciated by at least one other person for it. That's more than enough.

You seem to be fixated on reputation, and your position in various social circles. Are you certain this is healthy for you?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

I am just admitting that the starring system affects me emotionally.

But after reading your keen insights (lol at the insertion of the odd photo raising your star number, I never noticed that before!), I realize that what I am feeling is akin to a recurring nightmare I used to have as a child, where I am invisible... and trying to engage with others, but they are not seeing/hearing me. Wow!

So it's probably about being emotionally and intellectually validated- like where I say, "I like the color blue," and I need others to acknowledge it in order for it to feel real. So if they say, "I don't believe you," or just utterly ignore me, then I feel invisible and... less real.

Didn't mean to get so deep about it just then. But? It's not about actual stars, no. It IS about sharing what I truly feel/think and being honest/real.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I have arthritis, so I'm usually brief. But I think you should always measure the quality of the contribution.

Size doesn't always matter.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Well Done. S&F

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I did a wall of text once... ONCE. ATS immediately taught me not too. I tend to skim over the walls of text now days because, no thanks. It's ok to write a lot of content but not behind that dreaded wall..
edit on 2-4-2016 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join