It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some help with human behavioral studies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Your mood: It says, "Gimme Turkey".

Is that "Gimme Turkey for $500, Alex", or is that "Gimme Turkey" as in the poultry dish?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Continued p..1 (I didn't copy the whole website just what I "think" may be relevant sorry if it is completely of the track)

Maslow wanted to understand what motivates people. He believed that individuals possess a set of motivation systems unrelated to **rewards or *unconscious desires ( * & ** below)

*desires

Id, Ego and Superego
Perhaps Freud's single most enduring and important idea was that the human psyche (personality) has more than one aspect. Freud (1923) saw the psyche structured into three parts (i.e. tripartite), the id, ego and superego, all developing at different stages in our lives.
These are systems, not parts of the brain, or in any way physical.

The id (or it)

The id is the primitive and instinctive component of personality. It consists of all the inherited (i.e. biological) components of personality, including the sex (life) instinct – Eros (which contains the libido), and the aggressive (death) instinct - Thanatos.
The id is the impulsive (and unconscious) part of our psyche which responds directly and immediately to the instincts. The personality of the newborn child is all id and only later does it develop an ego and super-ego.

The id demands immediate satisfaction and when this happens we experience pleasure, when it is denied we experience ‘unpleasure’ or pain. The id is not affected by reality, logic or the everyday world.
On the contrary, it operates on the pleasure principle (Freud, 1920) which is the idea that every wishful impulse should be satisfied immediately, regardless of the consequences.
The id engages in primary process thinking, which is primitive illogical, irrational, and fantasy oriented.

www.simplypsychology.org...

Individual

**rewards

B.F. Skinner (1938) coined the term operant conditioning; it means roughly changing of behavior by the use of reinforcement which is given after the desired response. Skinner identified three types of responses or operant that can follow behavior.

Neutral operants: responses from the environment that neither increase nor decrease the probability of a behavior being repeated.

Reinforcers: Responses from the environment that increase the probability of a behavior being repeated. Reinforcers can be either positive or negative.

Punishers: Responses from the environment that decrease the likelihood of a behavior being repeated. Punishment weakens behavior.

Positive reinforcement strengthens a behavior by providing a consequence an individual finds rewarding. For example, if your teacher gives you £5 each time you complete your homework (i.e. a reward) you will be more likely to repeat this behavior in the future, thus strengthening the behavior of completing your homework.

Negative Reinforcement

The removal of an unpleasant reinforcer can also strengthen behavior. This is known as negative reinforcement because it is the removal of an adverse stimulus which is ‘rewarding’ to the animal or person. Negative reinforcement strengthens behavior because it stops or removes an unpleasant experience.

Punishment (weakens behavior)

Punishment is defined as the opposite of reinforcement since it is designed to weaken or eliminate a response rather than increase it. It is an aversive event that decreases the behavior that it follows

How this applies to society as a whole if relevant

Skinner found that the type of reinforcement which produces the slowest rate of extinction (i.e. people will go on repeating the behavior for the longest time without reinforcement) is variable-ratio reinforcement. The type of reinforcement which has the quickest rate of extinction is continuous reinforcement.

(A) Continuous Reinforcement

An animal/human is positively reinforced every time a specific behaviour occurs, e.g. every time a lever is pressed a pellet is delivered and then food delivery is shut off.

Response rate is SLOW
Extinction rate is FAST

(B) Fixed Ratio Reinforcement

Behavior is reinforced only after the behavior occurs a specified number of times. E.g. one reinforcement is given after every so many correct responses, e.g. after every 5th response. For example a child receives a star for every five words spelt correctly.

Response rate is FAST
Extinction rate is MEDIUM

..there are 3 more

BEHAVIOUR SHAPING

A further important contribution made by Skinner (1951) is the notion of behaviour shaping through successive approximation. Skinner argues that the principles of operant conditioning can be used to produce extremely complex behaviour if rewards and punishments are delivered in such a way as to encourage move an organism closer and closer to the desired behaviour each time.

BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION

Behavior modification is a set of therapies / techniques based on operant conditioning (Skinner, 1938, 1953). The main principle comprises changing environmental events that are related to a person's behavior. For example, the reinforcement of desired behaviors and ignoring or punishing undesired ones.

TOKEN ECONOMY

Token economy is a system in which targeted behaviors are reinforced with tokens (secondary reinforcers) and later exchanged for rewards (primary reinforcers).
Tokens can be in the form of fake money, buttons, poker chips, stickers, etc. While the rewards can range anywhere from snacks to privileges or activities.

Operant Conditioning in the Classroom

In the conventional learning situation operant conditioning applies largely to issues of class and student management, rather than to learning content. It is very relevant to shaping skill performance.
A simple way to shape behavior is to provide feedback on learner performance, e.g. compliments, approval, encouragement, and affirmation. A variable-ratio produces the highest response rate for students learning a new task, whereby initially reinforcement (e.g. praise) occurs at frequent intervals, and as the performance improves reinforcement occurs less frequently, until eventually only exceptional outcomes are reinforced.

However, operant conditioning fails to take into account the role of inherited and cognitive factors in learning, and thus is an incomplete explanation of the learning process in humans and animals.
For example, Kohler (1924) found that primates often seem to solve problems in a flash of insight rather than be trial and error learning. Also social learning theory(Bandura, 1977) suggests that humans can learn automatically through observation rather than through personal experience.

www.simplypsychology.org...

edit on 2-4-2016 by realnewsrealfunny because: Devided

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society.

Thats why they pound us from the pulpit, podium and news 'desk', non stop. They're trying to tip us over to their way of thinking.

Scary.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Self interest, philosophical preservation ect.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Think of a billionaire living in a town of 30k people. He would literally own the town, and everyone would know him and treat him like the king of the town.

They do that on a much larger scale, buying and selling politicians from behind the scenes through PACs. A billionaire isn't interested so much in a small town, he wants to influence a major city or country.

Everyone in Washington knows who the PAC agents are. Love to see them coming down the hall towards their office.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Think of it like the locust effect.

We run off individual triggers and social groups run off network triggers

There is a outword effect of a trigger from node to node and an inward effect from network to node.

There are competing and complimenting networks as well as competing and complimenting nodes.

Each with internal and external triggers.

Some tirggers, or stimulus are designed for like nodes and networks while others are designed for unlike nodes and networks.

In that you can have a like stimulus on an unlike network reaching like nodes.

Or an unlike stimulus on an unlike network reaching like nodes.

Or a cross

Reaching -

Other loops of similar design or opposite design networks making greater social nets up to the global scale.

1=like
2=unlike

(Source)SelfNode - network - other node

reaching (to)

sourcenode - network - other node

1 1 2 reaching 2 2 1

2 2 1 to 1 2 1

1 2 2 to 2 1 2

2 1 1 to 1 2 2

And so on up to a global scale.

edit on 4 2 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thats why they pound us from the pulpit, podium and news 'desk', non stop. They're trying to tip us over to their way of thinking.

One could imagine it being so, yes?

You're a good one, intrptr.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

But I have noted that if you can convince the folks on the lower half of the IQ scale, you can use them as your mob to convince the folks on the upper end of the IQ scale. You just have to create a seeming consensus by convincing people aren't really all that bright to begin with.

Okay, Baboo. Hunker close and I will tell the tale.

It's about an economy of stories, and the peeps that buy in to them.

Ima let you off tha hook for not reading about Cultural Capital, and will otherwise esplan it.

I sense from your post that you are saying that somehow the lower-class can be used as a tool to usurp control from the higher-class and that all that is required is the "right" person to come along to explicate the narrative.

It doesn't work like that.

The "lower-class" has already "bought" in to the narrative of "higher-and-lower class".

That's why there is a narratively-defined" "lower-class", right?

Someone must inhabit that space, as it has been defined and agreed upon by both parties that: being both "upper" and "lower" class is a state of being.

Which is to say that: The "lower" is never used to usurp the "higher".

The narrative, such that it is, is accepted by the "lower" because it reinforces belief in a "higher". The lower is evidence of a "higher".

All illusory, but entirely real.

There is a "higher" because the "lower" believes in it.

Got it?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Turkey....i haven't changed that since 2014(ish). When we had one of the avatar contests. LOL

The cultural currency bit....that has me going. You nailed it, and it is exactly the area I was wanting to look.

ETA: we crossed paths. Im reading the cultural capital thing (had to stop to help my sister with her homework). But please, feel free to go on regardless.
edit on 4/2/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
But please, feel free to go on regardless.

Ah, naw, I've got little else to say without your input.

Just have fun with the #. Few know about Pierre unless they look.

I know that you are digging it because you love the Humanities and Philosophy.

He was a true treasure, that Pierre.

And French, no less!

Dying for high-roast Turkey!.

Your friend.

P.S.:

edit on 2-4-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I tried searching, and think I am having a problem formulating a search query using the correct vernacular.

Sociology is a complex field of study.
scholar.google.com...

If you look in the human realm for sociology studies, then yes.. Its difficult trying to understand how over seven billion fantasies work together, I can build a working ant farm with humans, only means I'm great at brainwashing.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Here is a pretty good link on the relationship between Chaos theory and Sociology.

sociology.about.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join