It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The America That I Grew Up In

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I have a feeling I'm older than the OP. And I never lived in that America. My parents didn't either. And they grew up before TV.

So ...

I would agree that children aren't given enough freedom or challenged enough in school. But, as always, the failings of the society are things that parents can make up for.

And though it's true that today's kids love electronic devices. They also love sports, board games, making hobby kits, playing tag, falling down just for the heck of it, and any number of things we loved doing as kids.

We didn't grow up in a golden age. And today's kids aren't growing up in hell.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
As a child of the sixties, I used to ride my bike, freely, with all the kids in the neighborhood behind the truck spraying ddt for mosquitoes. But I did ride everywhere, all over town on my bike. I saw the six o'clock news almost every night. I didn't understand the war stories or why we were at war. My parents and their friend talked about teenagers being drafted and who died. I didn't understand. When I was in elementary school some teenagers tried to revive their dead friend using our water spigot and ran when my father approached them. It was awful. I didn't understand.

During my high school days, kids were overdosing and sometimes dying. The police were breaking open lockers looking for drugs and arresting kids in the bathrooms.

I didn't understand how our president could be killed. It was scary. We had to practice in school for an atomic bomb dropping on us during the Cuban Missile Crisis. That was scary.

I am so grateful that my children did not experience any of the stuff of the sixties including the hippies and yippies, etc. My children had a sweet innocent upbringing in boring MN. The 9/11 attack shook us back into reality. The Iraqi War was was just plain sad but since there were no drafts, not as scary as Viet Nam but CNN made the most of it.

Still, I am so grateful my children did not live as a child when I did. I do fear for my grandchildren.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I was born in '72 Grew up riding a bicycle all over central florida.. some times on the weekend me and my friends would pull the old I am staying at so and so's house then we would just bicycle all over the country dodging the cops for fun.

Now if I let kids do that.. I risk jail time.. the problem isnt the threat... its the nanny state and the people that think a nanny state is a good idea.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Statistics can prove whatever the financial force behind the study desires them to prove.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Get rid of most of the world's lawyers and politicians. There, fixed it for ya.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite

I haven't been to any movie theater since "Titanic" was playing.
I dropped Direct TV last fall and wish that I had dropped it sooner.
Ahhh,junk food very,very difficult to stop.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

"When I was in elementary school some teenagers tried to revive their dead friend using our water spigot and ran when my father approached them. It was awful. I didn't understand. "

I don't understand either! how were they trying to revive a dead person with a water spigot? Why was their friend dead? Man I don't know what but that phrase piqued my attention.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It would be great to go back to those days.. But not as far back as M. Night Shyamalan's The Village

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
If we are talking about the children and their upbringing, shouldn't we take the perspective of their positions. Look at things from their world view. See the day and society through their eyes?

Before we reach any conclusions.

In the 25 steps of a kindergarten child's day,
steps 3 - 16 happen in school.
Over half their day.

1 dress
2 breakfast

07:45--08:15 morning work
08:15--08:45 writing / handwritting
08:45--09:30 calendar
09:30--10:20 reading
10:20--10:30 clean up
10:30--11:00 lunch
11:00--11:15 recess
11:15--12:05 science
12:05--12:55 special ( singing, dancing, gardening, self directed play, games, playground )
12:55--01:05 packup
01:05--01:50 math
01:50--02:05 silent reading
02:05--02:30 free choice / attendance / fire drill, carry desk outside / class party, day mom brings treats
02:30--02:45 clean up, goodbye

homework
play
dinner
bath
books
lights out

At least this is what kindergarten used to be like. Till someone decided we need to fix it. I have heard that even recess is gone at many schools. But more importantly, how many of us have this busy of a day. No really.

How many of us have this busy of a day?

How tightly scripted and precise it all is. The giant institutions of young humanity. Being trained to the clock.

The fact that the clock has become a programmable digital device wielded by each one of us is a positive thing. A universal charging point at each desk is the only improvement to a child's day that I can see.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 3-4-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Sheesh.

That's crazy. No wonder everyone is disenfranchised.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
When I was growing up the street lights were our signal it was time to go inside. We rode our bikes everywhere and the house with all the bikes in front if it was the place to be. We watched tv, but it was an event the whole family joined in after dinner, which was also a family event. I watched cartoons until my favorite, Speed Racer, was taken off the air for being too violent. I played with cap guns and pea shooters. If no one had a football or a baseball we made up games to play. And we had fun. I had a chemistry set and a wood burning kit. I played with lawn darts. I survived and no one had to go to jail. It was a different time and I miss it very much.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Well I'm 30 and That's what it was like in the 90's mostly for me too. Watching home improvement once in a blue moon but mostly outside until dark.

The neighborhood I grew up in totally devolved into the ghetto since but it was decent when I was growing up. Don't know what happened but the local community went to # and turned into the idiocracy very fast.

My grandmothers generation from there was totally different.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

three nasty wars, polio, segregation, etc etc..

Yup, no fun. I experienced these three....
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

There is Nothing Wrong with it , the Country has Gone Wrong . How do we Fix that ? Any Suggestions ?

Only on a personal level. Get your kids off the electric light box before they build a dependancy. Teach them to read, reading is a guarantee they will learn in the future, get them interested in bugs, critters, plants buy a microscope, a telescope, teach them abut the world around them , how to interact, not over react, not give in to teasing, bullying, how to handle peer pressure, mistakes, failure.

Things are immaterial, relationships with other live bodies, tantamount. What we do and say, not what others think of us. Try not to lie, cheat or steal, don't go along with the mob, nationalistic fervor, what everyone else is doing.

Don't get sucked into beliefs, clubs, organizations that forgo personal identity and freedom to choose supplanting that for the all.

Consequences… don't reproach them for making mistakes and learning, praise good behavior.

Frankly this does not work for the majority of people, the world is actually NOT that interesting, stop trying to tell people that if they just look around it actually might become so.

Things are NOT immaterial, I think you have been reading too many religious books that try and separate all things, and have actually lead to the problems we currently face....

Only through discovery of something NEW, which apparently does not exist for most, can any good reason at all be found to NOT waste a good amount of time.

Finding the balance amongst ALL things material , spiritual, and whatever other category is important, and cannot be found in any of the teachings or reasonings currently available.

I wish I could star your post as many others have, but in the end it is so VASTLY incomplete and incorrect and likely leads most into some other area of obsession to kill time, that I cannot.

It is like looking back to the past for answers, they are not fully there, so time for some Manifesting of a NEW REALITY.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Frankly this does not work for the majority of people, the world is actually NOT that interesting, stop trying to tell people that if they just look around it actually might become so.

Unbelievable.

Good sir, there is more to study in one cubic yard of backyard than in your whole mind, apparently. Depends on how interesting you can make that study to a young mind , all of which are eager to learn abut the world in which they live.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I was born in 1951. Yes, the world is now very different than the one I grew up in. I could spend hours on it. But, just for example, I remember taking my Daisy BB rifle to show-and-tell in the 3rd grade. Nobody said a word. Huh.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Yes I agree. Everything is changing. Children do not play outside or ride their bicycles in the streets anymore. Earth humans are blind to this ongoing process because of their addiction to handheld devices and entertaiment and self pride and love for what is material on this planet. They are extremely distracted and will not be ready for the " remix-ix " When dogs start barking at the trees, then they will take notice....

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter /My parents told me later the kids were tripping from drugs and their friend had overdosed. They were so out of it that they were not aware their friend was dead. They thought he had just passed out and were trying to wake them up with water. They were out of their heads. I was too young at the time to really understand drugs and how that could kill you.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I guess it just depends on your perspective....

I see today as exciting, full of challenges, and opportunities.
At one time I was homeless, strung out and drunk, depressed and hopeless.
I blamed everything on my childhood abusive environment with a dysfunctional family.

Then I fell in love....what power in love to change.
edit on 3-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
When I was growing up the street lights were our signal it was time to go inside. We rode our bikes everywhere and the house with all the bikes in front if it was the place to be. We watched tv, but it was an event the whole family joined in after dinner, which was also a family event. I watched cartoons until my favorite, Speed Racer, was taken off the air for being too violent. I played with cap guns and pea shooters. If no one had a football or a baseball we made up games to play. And we had fun. I had a chemistry set and a wood burning kit. I played with lawn darts. I survived and no one had to go to jail. It was a different time and I miss it very much.

Yeah man, same here. I'm 62.

And Radio Shack was THE cool place.

I still want my flying car! I didn't live this long to be screwing with apps on my stupid iphone!

And where is my Mars/Moon vacation! Gabdumit!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join