It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The America That I Grew Up In

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The America that I grew up in...
Children could walk to the park without fear of being abducted by a predator.There
were a few cases but not on the scale of today's age.Children could play in their own
backyards and chase each other with water guns.Can't do that anymore because of
the extreme paranoia over guns.
Children watched cartoons and educational series on saturday mornings.The garbage
that is being broadcasted now is not fit for man or beast.Children played board games
with other children.Now they are glued in front of a game console that wastes too much
of their time.
There were a lot of bad things happening all over the world when I was a child. but I still
had a childhood and a future a head of me.My grandchildren will have problems finding
jobs because our jobs have gone off-shore.Too many people are living on the government
handouts which can discourage their future.
So,what is wrong with me wishing that my grandchildren could grow up in the America that
I did?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

" So,what is wrong with me wishing that my grandchildren could grow up in the America that
I did? "

There is Nothing Wrong with it , the Country has Gone Wrong . How do we Fix that ? Any Suggestions ?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm an 80's baby, 90's teen and was coming into adulthood at the time of 9/11. The America I knew and loved died the day the towers fell. Some say that is my generation's JFK, I do know that I will never forget where I was and what I was doing at that very moment. Customers and employees alike stuck staring at the events unfolding on television before our eyes.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

That's the sad part,I don't know how we can fix it?

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

There is Nothing Wrong with it , the Country has Gone Wrong . How do we Fix that ? Any Suggestions ?

Only on a personal level. Get your kids off the electric light box before they build a dependancy. Teach them to read, reading is a guarantee they will learn in the future, get them interested in bugs, critters, plants buy a microscope, a telescope, teach them abut the world around them , how to interact, not over react, not give in to teasing, bullying, how to handle peer pressure, mistakes, failure.

Things are immaterial, relationships with other live bodies, tantamount. What we do and say, not what others think of us. Try not to lie, cheat or steal, don't go along with the mob, nationalistic fervor, what everyone else is doing.

Don't get sucked into beliefs, clubs, organizations that forgo personal identity and freedom to choose supplanting that for the all.

Consequences… don't reproach them for making mistakes and learning, praise good behavior.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

A really great post and a star is not enough these are for you...

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
As my father would say, "If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets." I'm 50 (err, give or take - lol) and I have thought this many times. We stayed out playing until dark, football in the front yard, playing with toys small enough to swallow, etc. However, I also grew up with the child abductions in Atlanta. I had a friend who's brother shot out her eye with a BB gun. My brother's best friend blew his finger off with a firecracker. The world has always been dangerous. The difference is the 24 hour, in-your-face news channels. Every where you turn, the news there - on our phones, on our tablets, tv, waiting rooms, etc. our children's and grandchildren's childhoods are different, but not as unsafe. Parents are bombarded with bad and scary stuff from all over the world. It seems safer to keep the kids indoors playing video games. They don't exercise Oreos off like we did.

Anyway, that's how I see it. I'm sure others will disagree with me. Lol!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

What's wrong with wanting that? Nothing, except for the fact that it can't happen because the "America" you grew up in is long, long gone. Its been replaced by this dystopian, drug fueled and drug war fueled junk yard of endless violence, racial hatred and glorification of violence.

Once a society goes down that road, there's no going back.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

You can't fix it; no one can. All you can do is do the best you can to prepare your kids to possibly live and work some where more civilized. In the new normal, they gotta be mobile to survive.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

One can't unmake an omelette. It taken years , if not decades, to get us to this point. Uphill is much slower than 'downhill'.

Make your family the America you knew. Perhaps if enough other families do the same there will be pockets that resurge and survive with some semblance of a future......

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

amen, mamma

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I'm 33 and remember being on AI'M chatting with some traumatized New Yokers hours after the towers fell. They were flaming me saying I was being a jerk for calling on calm and perspective during the crisis. I knew the psychological scarring that was unfolding was causing more harm than the event itself. I feared not the terrorists, I feared what we would become through the allowing of our psyches to be so warped.

Most people were permanently changed through the events of 9/11. If you weren't you were seen as having something seriously wrong with you. I experienced the same thing after my brother passed away. To accept his death was to be a freak of nature to my family.

Anyways, 9/11, regardless of the truth of the details, did change the USA for the worst. It's as if we came face to face with a collective fear of death replacing an irrational belief of invincibility.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
First, no you are NOT wrong to want your grandbabies to grow up in a world where they can have some freedom yet not be constantly afraid.

Any right-thinking Grandmama (and Mom, and Dad, and Auntie and Uncle and Grampa) want(s) the same.

The way to fix it is to walk/talk around, and realize most of your neighbors really want the same too. More and more people have stopped chasing stuff, stopped taking on more debt, started working at some things that can keep them closer to their neighborhood.

The truth about when we grew up is, while we might have felt 'unattended', we weren't really. There were Moms and Grandmas at home during the day, all the way to the park, and there were always Moms and Grandmas in the houses backing up to the park, and they were always watching. They didn't butt-in unless somebody was gonna get hurt or somebody was being a bully-type.

Seems to me (at least here) that things are moving back in that direction again. I am increasingly amazed at the number of people at home (Moms AND Dads, Grandmas AND Grandpas, Aunties AND Uncles) during the day these days, and am realizing this is a great thing for the kids in my 'hood.

Chin up, my dear friend. There are many more of us concerned and caring neighbors out there than you think. Willing to be outside with our kids (and your grandkids, lol) keeping eyes and ears open. You just won't hear about us on the "news".

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
The America that I grew up in...
Children could walk to the park without fear of being abducted by a predator.There
were a few cases but not on the scale of today's age.Children could play in their own
backyards and chase each other with water guns.Can't do that anymore because of
the extreme paranoia over guns.
Children watched cartoons and educational series on saturday mornings.The garbage
that is being broadcasted now is not fit for man or beast.Children played board games
with other children.Now they are glued in front of a game console that wastes too much
of their time.
There were a lot of bad things happening all over the world when I was a child. but I still
had a childhood and a future a head of me.My grandchildren will have problems finding
jobs because our jobs have gone off-shore.Too many people are living on the government
handouts which can discourage their future.
So,what is wrong with me wishing that my grandchildren could grow up in the America that
I did?

I grew up in the 70s/80s. I now have a two year old son. I'm sad that he will not get to experience the childhood that I had growing up. I had a real life Little Rascals type of experience. A time when all of my friends (probably 20 of us all around the same age) could go out in the morning and not get back home till the street lights came on. Parents had NO FREAKING CLUE where we were other than probably at another kids house. No cell phones. NOTHING.

We'd go out roaming the neighborhood. Riding our bikes and playing Evel Knievel. No pads or helmets. Learned how to change flat tires. Got tired of riding bikes we'd then get our BB Guns out. Oh the horror! Daisy 880 baby. Then I get my 22 cal pellet gun out and the squirrels had no chance.

We'd play Atari, but no where near as addictive as today's video games. Break out the Blackcat fireworks and go blow up a few ant hills or maybe shoot bottle rockets at a hornets nest. When we were feeling really devious we'd go get some M-80s and do some damage to a mailbox.

One of us would get in trouble and then the parents would break out the belts and switches. That would be child abuse now.

By night time, we'd sit in the cul de sac and then go do some ding dong ditch.

I live in an urban area now. Parents make "play dates" WTF? Hardly ever see kids just roaming and playing. All the kids have cell phones. Parents don't know each other, defintiely not like how my parents knew their neighbors.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What our kids get to do, and what they do not get to do is normally up to the parents.

Too much Computer/Xbox/Playstation going on? Then pull the plug on them. Make them get up and go outside....but it's not as simple as that...as a parent needs to not just make them do that, but help them have fun out there too. Get involved with them building a fort, playing cars, running around in a sprinkler, etc, etc.

Who says they can't run around with waterguns? Can't buy them? Then make them! Any squirt bottle will work just fine as long as they are rinsed out really good. And those hold a LOT more water than the small ones.

Try water balloons too!

It is sad that we can't leave our kids alone in a public park, and for some people in our own backyards. I'm lucky. I live way out here in the country and my youngest son has the run of all 10 acres. Of course when he was little he had to stay in sight of the house. Now at 13, not so much. He actually goes out with his hatchet to cut down small trees to build forts. (yes he can handle a hatchet just fine, he's a Boy Scout that has earned his totem badge).

But that means for others, you'll have to take the time to be with your child in said park or yard. Nothing wrong with that! It means you're spending more time with them, which they'll enjoy.

As for the lack of jobs, poor education, etc, I don't have an answers for those, other than we need to stop electing career politicians who say they want to help, but are only really thinking of themselves. That would be at least a start.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Don't give the NWO any satisfaction...

Stop going to movies.
Stop buying, eating junk food.
Stop buying cable tv.
Stop buying pharmaceutical drugs.
etc.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Try this from my grandparents or great grandparents perspective.

I would have grown up with the great depression, three nasty wars, polio, segregation, etc etc..

It's not all bad now days..

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The electronic devices is a problem. There should be more reading and interacting. I am guilty of this. This is something I wrote in my facebook "In an astounding feat of retro communication I called out my bedroom door, to my housemate who was in the hall (instead of texting), "What color is the dress?". Without use of any electronic device...he answered "It's blue and black."

The world has always been dangerous, though. We were out all day, as children. The difference I remember, was that there were more parents outside or watching out the window . Either the mother did not work, the mother was single and not working or there was a father home that worked at night. There were parents on porches, parents walking to the corner store or the milk machine. More neighbors knew eachother.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Well, you could start by forgetting about the past as that is exactly where it is. Spread good will to your fellow man, like this:
Love ya, man - hang in there.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Sorry the statistics dont show children are more at risk now than they used to...

Washington Post

The FBI has several decades of data on missing persons now, and those numbers show that the number of missing person reports involving minors has been at record low levels in recent years. Overall, the number of these reports have fallen by 40 percent since 1997. This is more impressive when you consider that the overall U.S. population has risen by 30 percent over that same time period, meaning that the actual rate of missing person reports for children has fallen faster than 40 percent. But even these numbers include an awful lot of scenarios that you wouldn't typically worry about when letting your kid walk to the park. For instance, among all missing persons cases (adults and children) in 2014, roughly 96 percent were runaways -- kids or adults deliberately trying to escape a situation at home. In fact, only 0.1 percent of missing persons cases were what we'd think of as a "stereotypical kidnapping" -- where a complete stranger tries to abduct somebody and carry them off by force. These figures comport with a more detailed analysis of child-only abductions carried out by the Justice Department in 2002.

Stop watching 24 hour news channels... they are why it "seems" like kids are going missing every day... or mass shootings every day. they cover any bad news for at least 24 hours... and if its juicy news (ie ratings) 24/7 for weeks on end..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join