It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Selling' Children Is a Radical Form of Religion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfusionI have read about this 13 year old. She did not want the marriage and apparently the rest of her family, besides her no-good father, would not have forced it. It was a fantastic victory that she got a divorce.

In many parts of the world, though, females are married young because the family simply cannot afford to feed them. The general idea, is that they marry someone that can provide for them and strengthen family and community ties. I am talking about people living on $5 a month or in huts. It is almost impossible to avoid this. This is not just a Muslim practice.

Where there are better alternatives, it should no longer exist, though.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Klassified

You never heard of the mormon polygamists groups? They are "legally" married to one woman and the other wives draw welfare while getting pregnant? You think those girls choose to be wife number 6 for a guy like Jeffries?

Nothing surprises me about the Mormons, after the conversations I've had with them in the past. But Mormonism is not state sanctioned and country-wide. Islam is in Saudi. Again, I'm not saying we don't have issues too. We do, and they are reprehensible, but we have come a long way from where we started. Just not far enough yet.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I understand and agree to a point your frustration

We live in a broken world where people make poor choices, are placed in situations they are not mentally prepared for. Be it uncaring family, spouses or political, religious situations.

It can't get better, at least in most Wesrern society's people,try and do,something about it

Science does nothing, it is the facts, it hasn't got a morality.
Science assumes humanity has no intrinsic value, we are products of random chance, cattle at the top of an evolutionary line.

Jesus taught we have value, each uniquely made in Gods image, so precious we are worth dying for.

Don't blame all religions, all religios people for the bent and broken out of shape some religios folk do

That's like me blaming all atheists for what Stalin did

Be angry, demand justice, don't hate everyone because of a few

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

What's the point of these multinational organizations if they don't even do anything to defend people's basic rights?

The point is our acceptance of their existence and support by enforced taxation whilst their anti human policies get forced down our throats - we have lost our voice.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

"Science assumes humanity has no intrinsic value, we are products of random chance, cattle at the top of an evolutionary line"

Wrong.

"Jesus taught we have value, each uniquely made in Gods image, so precious we are worth dying for."

Right. And scientist proved he was right by discovering DNA. Too bad religions worship the dead and phantom babies instead of living humans. Poverty, child abuse, war, would almost disappear if religion would.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AudioOne

So they dont have child brides or

Female genital mutilation?
en.wikipedia.org...

Wow can you show me a book that disputes female circumcision..I'll be waiting

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

You never heard of the mormon polygamists groups? They are "legally" married to one woman and the other wives draw welfare while getting pregnant? You think those girls choose to be wife number 6 for a guy like Jeffries?

Let's be clear. The FLDS is not MORMON.

They are an offshoot and not an officially recognized religion.
edit on 2-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
We must defend their right to do this. Didn't you know cultural diversity is a good thing. Defend all the cultures no matter how bad they are, yay DIVERSITY!!!!

Sick sexual abusers aren't limited to any one particular religion or ethnic population.

One of the biggest offenders that actually has a cult following is located right here in America.

Great job with the stereotyping and hate-baiting.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

You're forgetting something, it's illegal here, and if caught and proven people can be prosecuted. There it's part of the cultural norm. No one's denying this happens here, but at least it's illegal.

Also once again, as I said, I'm just as vehemently against such crimes here, I'm simply against giving them a pass cause of some imaginary lines we all draw on pieces of paper.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Then place your anger on the problem and not cultural diversity. That's just poor approach.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

My problem is cultural diversity being used as a shield to protect these things. There's nothing wrong with cultural diversity, we could have no borders and have cultural diversity, France isn't a culture, it's people are. If you dropped the french, english, us citizens, swedish, germans, australians, etc into a city and told them to live together, you'd have little real issues, but they'd still have their culture, and get along just fine. For the most part they'd all agree on human rights issues.

You cannot say the same for the cultures which are the issue. Oh and you can't pick and chose which part of the culture counts as the culture. This behavior is part of their culture, if you want to defend their culture as special cause of diversity you need to defend the bad with the good as it's an accepted part of their culture. Until it's made illegal in their culture and becomes ostracized as abhorrent then it IS their culture.

You want to make their cultural diversity acceptable then help cut out the parts that aren't.
edit on 4/2/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Again, cultural diversity has nothing whatsoever to do with forced child marriages, sexual abuse against children or just plain ol' sexual abuse.

You can dress up your argument any way you'd like, that still doesn't give it legs.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Is it a legal and acceptable part of their culture, and does that legality and acceptance protect and allow for a more widespread and systematic abuse of others? Think hard on that.

Cultural diversity is fine once again, AS LONG as we don't let it be used as a shield to protect cultures that are lacking in human rights. And once again, I'm including my own.
edit on 4/2/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Cultural customs and cultural diversity are apples and oranges. Yes, both may be fruit, but they are also two very distinct things.

As I've said before, despise the custom all you want -- just don't lump it in with cultural diversity.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust

Cultural customs and cultural diversity are apples and oranges. Yes, both may be fruit, but they are also two very distinct things.

As I've said before, despise the custom all you want -- just don't lump it in with cultural diversity.

I think part of what she's saying is, that the apologists do just that. They lump it all in with cultural diversity, and dare anyone to criticize ANY part of it. So it becomes a taboo to criticize any "custom" without being accused of being anti-diversity. It's a catch 22.

speaking for myself only. I do think some cultures and peoples should never be mixed.
edit on 4/2/2016 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

This isn't just in the Middle East.

This series of photos is taken of a Bangledeshi girl on her wedding day to a man twice her age.

Girls in India, Africa, and Asia all get married far younger than we like to admit, but it does also happen in the US.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

That's the gist of it. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

"Selling" children is legal all over the Islamic world:

You are exaggerating.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I made a thread related to this topic a while ago. You might not have read the articles posted within it. I shall give you a link.

Pakistan rejects bill to ban child marriage

My focus was rather on why we as western nations still enable some countries with such practices as child marriage, by investing in their political systems. But the root of the problem is the same.

Abhorrent practices, abhorrent behaviour by defending such practices.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

That is why they are in the hands of the government til 18 because of their mental and medical problems from being abandoned.

We treat women and children no better because of religion not science.

What a bunch of bull crap! BOYS and girls are in foster care. For a multitude of reasons. Most people want to adopt young babies. Most children enter into foster care at toddler stage or later. The main reason being they have no safe place to go other than a "foster" family. The state subsidizes these foster families so they don't have to bear the cost of raising children alone. The reason male and female children are in foster care until they are 18 is because in the US, that's the law for natural emancipation as an adult. It can be made an exception with a simple request.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join