It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science isn't Everything

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Does any one have a problem with science?
I do.
I think that this world wasn't meant to know all the answers. I think we were supposed to make up legends n' stuff like our ancestors did b4 us. I mean, I sit here in science class reading about plants and volcanoes and stuff, and i wonder, am I supposed to know this? We are sitting here destroying our planet, and we are learning about vegetation! I mean, some would say that we need science to help the human race via medication, blah blah blah. Also, we need to learn how to help plants and animals live by learning about them.

Well, if you scientists hadn't made cars or mechanics or technology crap, then the air would be cleaner, there would be more wildlife, and people would be safer too. And maybe we wouldn't be able to have the pain killers and crap, and no offense... but people are supposed to die. Without death, we have overpopulation. sad, but true.

Sometimes I think, wow, it's so handy to have a remote. But other times I think, wow I am so lazy to have a remote. Wouldn't society be better off if we still wore loin clothes and frollicked through the woods without cell phone ringers blaring and tvs turned on? Wouldn't we be so much happier? Wouldn't our kids be raised instead of just given life? some may think that my views are a bit extreme, and say that society is so much better off now dispite all of that. But define better off. We consider ourselves the smartest species on the planet, but we are the ones chopping down forests and killing everything we don't like. Who's the smart one? The wolf that eats your chickens and roams the woods, or the human that are killing them whether they ate his chickens or not? lemme know watcha think.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
and most of us would've died before the age of 4

I would've most likely died shortly after birth.

I don't think Scientists are the ones to blame, I'd say it's better to blame the greedy, otherwise we'd have cars that don't pollute or take 50 bucks to fill up.

It's in our nature though, Myths/Legends/Religions were used to control the fellow human beings.

We'd still fight over resources, and diseases would kill us much easier.

People do die, we aren't immortal just yet.

Would you want to till the land by hand, and grow crops?
Or would you just eat wild fruits and kill animals?
which would most likely lead to them being over hunted, as the population grew.

You rather know lies about volcanos, and plants?

Rather fear going into the water because there might be water sprites ready to steal your soul?

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
No, I am not saying that.
Well, I am saying that I would eat fruit and hunt animals rather than take my lazy ass to the store and by it. I know people would have died. That would have been sad. But there wouldn't have been people dying cuz of smoking, or being shot, or anything like that. I would rather just come up with a creative story about why volcanoes erupt then a scientific equation. That is everything now. Art, music, writing... it's all a load of equations. And I hate it. You tell me you like having everything in straight lines and right angles while everyone kills off the hippos and stuff.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
But maybe we should blame the greedy, too.
Peace out

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
lol
We'd still kill eachother with spears, it's our nature don't you see that?

What is to stop humans from smoking tabacco?

Just because it doesn't come in a package?

It seems, you rather not learn knowledge, rather just make stuff up.

Knowledge is power.

How is Art, Music and writing a load of equations?

I said I like having everything in straight lines and right angles?

Humans are a violent species.

We have the ability to create technology, why not use that to our advantage?

I for one am ready to leave this rock and explore space but I will probably die before it because available to the common person.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
And you'd hunt animals using some form of technology am I right?

or would you run them down and subdue them like a wild animal?

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If you think of it as if we didnt know any better and you were living back then.....
You wouldnt know any better and just keep living your life believing what seems logical. Now not knowing things is great because then you wont have to think. Because with thinking, your brain itches and its hard to scratch. Bah, if we didnt know anything we would all be sex crazed naked people living in caves.... does anyone have a problem with that?

Ignorance is Bliss

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Did you ever consider that science might be part of human nature? It is our instinct to strive for a better quality of life, as much as it is our instinct to kill other animals for food. It may be sad, perhaps even contraversial, but that is not to say that it is wrong, or unnatural.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
^^^^^^

I totally agree.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
But if we never knew of science we would be talking about this and we would just be scraping # off of a rock for dinner. With science came convienence and with science came, ultimately, our demise.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   
No. Our demise will be brought about by the very thing that you claim to be bliss - Ignorance.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
But since I think ignorance is bliss we wouldnt care because we wouldnt know anything that is going on.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Religion isn't Everything

Does any one have a problem with Religion ?

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have a problem with religion. I just have too much difficulty picturing some perfect being. I think its all fake.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   
there is a difference between religion, which is man made, and god, which made man.

neo

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I have no problem with religion it does nobody no harm (double-) Its the damn people who interprite its books for their own ends and never tell the full truth.

that is the problem, the people not the religion

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Lorena, I used to wonder the same thing when I was younger. Its a noble idea but once a person begins to think about it, it really would be quite different than say a day hike or a bike ride through the woods for relaxation. I know it seems nice sometimes, like you never want to leave but its so nice to have a good hot shower to get back to after a few days of trail pounding isn't it?

The truth is, we did more harm to our environment when we were primitive than we do now that we are educated and have sufficient wealth to allow us to be concerned about it. Yes, we do release C02 with combustion engines and that was thought to be a real threat for a long time but now, carbon isn't really a big concern as every plant on earth uses it for growth. We've begun to clean-up the environment dirtied by the industrial revolution and mining to the point that some have become pristine nature preserves. Man was much more destructive to nature when we were a part of it than now when we are on the outside looking in.

I guess you could say that its my opinion that we live in the best time in human history because all our luxuries allow us to now ponder such questions as yours instead of spending day after miserable day looking for food, water, and shelter while enduring rotting teeth, desease, and imminent death.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
here here well put astro!!!

and true science is not everything unforetunately. it seems that politics and domination are everything and this is the blight of mankind on our planet.
if we last long enough science will teach us or rather them the error of their ways and reveal the true path to be on.
which by the way is the path with a heart

tut tut

neo

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
And another god damn thing about religion. (i know this isnt the subject, Sorry)

World leaders use it to justify war with american propergander such as "god bless america" or Saddam calling the recent war a holy war to force all muslims to rally behind him

As i've said befor religion is not the problem the people are

P.S one q for the starter of the topic why is it under paranormal abilities

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by neo]

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   
You're right Neo, Religion is the most Prehistorical kind of Dictature and as far the most powerfull. Just remember the crusades ?

Don't misunderstand me, when i say religion i'm excluding the god concept.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join