It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television Programming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I used to work with a guy who would conduct himself in a very odd manner. Let's call him Bob. He was a supervisor and whenever something kicked off he was always involved. The smallest thing would turn into the biggest issue. He would try to discredit or put down anyone who had any skill or ability in their work, for instance, interviews were held for a new position and later Bob was talking to me about the guy who had got the job at few days before he was due to start.

He said:
"He seems a bit of a know it all. Arrogant, yeah he's arrogant."

I automatically knew that Bob's issue wasn't to do with any personality traits. He felt threatened by his knowledge of the job and greater number of years of experience and straight away attempted to mold other people's thoughts about the new guy, trying to plant perceptions of know it all arrogance in our minds rather than us think the guy just knows his stuff.

There were many instances of Bob kicking off and it always seemed to boil down to him unnecessarly highlighting other's mistakes and not letting it go, like a dog with a bone. It became comical and almost surreal how he would act sometimes, like his life depended on these trivial conflicts he would create.
It reminded me of the way the candidates would act in the boardroom on the TV show The Apprentice. Desperate, over the top, cut throat backstabbing. Born from a fear of being fired by Sir Alan Sugar.

Then something dawned on me and I had an idea to ask Bob a question that may support my theory.

I asked him if he watches The Apprentice. I knew the answer would be yes but his response was overwhelming evidence that there is something to what I was thinking. He didn't just like the show, he absolutely loved it. Said it was the best thing on TV. Enthusiasticly went on to gush that he's never missed a single episode. He was a fanatic.

To me this proved it.
He thinks that the way people go about things on that show is the way people are supposed to act in the everyday workplace.
The show has influenced him so much that it makes him think and act a certain way.
Brainwashing.
Programming.
He's been programmed.

Another thing I've noticed to support this is something I've seen in some, not all, younger lads I have worked with, early 20s lads. It seems they deliberately act stupid or unknowledgable about many things. I know they're not really stupid. I can see that it's some strange act. Like it's not cool or fashionable to come across as intelligent about anything other than what's going on in the premiere league.
Then it all makes sense to me when they talk about Joey Essex with admiration.
They're fans of those types of shows. Only Way is Essex, Geordie Shore, stuff like that where the characters are "lovable" dimwits who are always lucky with the ladies.

Again, they've been programmed to act that way by these programs.
Clue's been in the name all along.

I am becoming convinced that all forms of entertainment are deliberate mass mind control programs. Ever since I have noticed the way these people are under the spell I can see the suggestions embedded in TV, film, and video games as I'm watching/playing. I can see it. Even in radio stations, the same songs repeating all day, every day.

It's mass hypnosis...

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

Great observational thread. I have to agree.

I hate the way modern people cannot admit mistakes, blame everyone else and act like nauseating sales people.

As for the new breed of slags and thick males... These TV programmes are very responsible for making these people.

Not sure what else to say other than mayb feel sorry for Bob, more negativity breeds more negativity. Maybe there's a way to help him from his pit of inferiority?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

It seems that you have proven your point in some respects: Once someone gets it into their head (one way or another) that they or a situation is such and such then that is the way that it is...nothing else can explain it. Your thread, full of insights into other people and situations, is your own personal proof of your theory.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Great observational thread. I have to agree.

I hate the way modern people cannot admit mistakes, blame everyone else and act like nauseating sales people.

As for the new breed of slags and thick males... These TV programmes are very responsible for making these people.

Not sure what else to say other than mayb feel sorry for Bob, more negativity breeds more negativity. Maybe there's a way to help him from his pit of inferiority?

I'm just glad other people can see it too, albeit a huge minority it seems.
Huge minority? That doesn't make sense does it? Lol misnomer if there ever was one. Or is it oxymoron?

My brother sees it too. Although I can see how some of his thoughts on certain things are implants and point them out to him. He's quite against immigrants /Islam. Thinks they're "taking over". I point out that he reads tabloid rags, who owns them, their agenda and how it relates to everything else.
And he agrees with me. But still he thinks the way he does about it. The manipulation of thought is deeply imbedded in his mind.
And I'm sure I am influenced in things I can't see in myself. Must be...

And yes, absolutely. I know it's not Bob's fault. I have no right to judge him badly. He's a victim himself.
Just hope people become aware of this sickness being pumped into their minds. It's something they have to somehow realise themselves though. Suggesting this kind of thing to most people just doesn't work. They just don't wanna know...

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

It seems that you have proven your point in some respects: Once someone gets it into their head (one way or another) that they or a situation is such and such then that is the way that it is...nothing else can explain it. Your thread, full of insights into other people and situations, is your own personal proof of your theory.

Of course, you are right.
I'm not one to subscribe to an absolute objective truth. I always see things as "it seems that way" rather than "this is how it is".
I think there are many perceptions of what is, and that's all it is really, perceptions.
What seems to be, to me, is how things add up at the time. And it always fluctuates.
One thing I do know is a truth though is that I could be wrong in my thinking at any time.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

It's mass hypnosis...

Great post, it has been my observation that one tool of the medias behavioural modification techniques is using physically attractive people to push their agenda. I see what they are doing and so I think a good counter measure is outright mockery of stupidity with a view to make it unattractive. I think "true" stories could be told highlighting results of acting stupid seeing as much of the stuff on media is found to be in that same storytelling frame. With the older generation I sometimes mention during viewing that there are a team of camera and sound men filming what they are watching...it is very good at snapping older people out of the trance.

edit on 242016 by Qwerm because: edit of an edit

edit on 242016 by Qwerm because: edit of an edit of an edit

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Very interesting topic for discussion, but think you are giving too much credit to the media in your analysis. I don't disagree that we have some pretty dumb programmes on TV (and that they are getting dumber by the year), but I don't think there is any deliberate attempt to brainwash the general public. Rather, their proliferation stems from the fact that they are easy to make, easy to watch, and are more likely to win in the ratings war. Fast food for the airwaves, if you like.

As to why some people feel the need to act stupid... Well, this is a PhD in the making if there ever was. I can offer no explanation, except to ask "Wasn't it ever thus?" Look back at footage of punks in the late '70's, and they're all at it. Fast forward 40 years (yes, read that and weep!) and those safety-pinned morons of yesteryear are now articulate, intelligent, media-savvy grandparents. I'm pretty sure the same cycle happened to rockers, mods and any other teenage sub-genre you could mention.

I'm tempted to believe that lads acting stupid is a phenomenon that is as old as time, and is possibly hard-wired into the male psyche. How many times have you seen women falling over themselves to help a guy who can't tuck his shirt in or straighten his tie? I think we are talking about some very deep-rooted psychology here.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

TV, music or the internet is negative stimuli for the brain and causes those who are weak minded to do things they would not normally do.

Does today's child know what a stick is? (comment from George Carlin)

Do they?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: lacrimoniousfinale

Very interesting topic for discussion, but think you are giving too much credit to the media in your analysis. I don't disagree that we have some pretty dumb programmes on TV (and that they are getting dumber by the year), but I don't think there is any deliberate attempt to brainwash the general public. Rather, their proliferation stems from the fact that they are easy to make, easy to watch, and are more likely to win in the ratings war. Fast food for the airwaves, if you like.

As to why some people feel the need to act stupid... Well, this is a PhD in the making if there ever was. I can offer no explanation, except to ask "Wasn't it ever thus?" Look back at footage of punks in the late '70's, and they're all at it. Fast forward 40 years (yes, read that and weep!) and those safety-pinned morons of yesteryear are now articulate, intelligent, media-savvy grandparents. I'm pretty sure the same cycle happened to rockers, mods and any other teenage sub-genre you could mention.

I'm tempted to believe that lads acting stupid is a phenomenon that is as old as time, and is possibly hard-wired into the male psyche. How many times have you seen women falling over themselves to help a guy who can't tuck his shirt in or straighten his tie? I think we are talking about some very deep-rooted psychology here.

Your comments give me the impression of "benevolence" mindedness when it comes to all things to do with structured life.
I do find that that mind state is unhealthy because it is unrealistic. Of course I might have misunderstood your comments

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

I think you're mostly right, but there's definately a degree of (acknowledged, and probobly unacknowledged) brainwashing going on. Examples of acknowledged brainwashing campaigns are anti-smoking propaganda and add placements. There are probably other attempts at brainwashing, but I don't know how effective or malicious they would be; and I wouldn't be too concerned about them.
edit on 2-4-2016 by VP740 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

www.rentacrowduk.co.uk...

The link above.

"canned laughter" boom, microphone dropped.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm
Your comments give me the impression of "benevolence" mindedness when it comes to all things to do with structured life.

I don't understand.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I don't understand.

The opposite of somebody that thinks all things to do with structured life is malevolent.
erm, those in charge of structuring your life to a certain form to conform to an agenda.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I will also add...

Many intelligent people do not understand the effect the media has on our minds. I mean, they really don't understand this and will make YOU feel foolish for 'blaming' the media.

You obviously understand how the media works, motifs, repetitions, actions, certain trigger words, planting seeds.... I could go on and on. Once you know you understand.

It's not projection what you speak of here, it's the truth.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

You know what, I am living with a family at the moment that engages in conversation with the TV, they are not some elderly person living alone with dementia. When the lotto comes on they shout abuse and with the weather report also, and when it comes to soaps they actually respond to the screen as if they were there. It is strange and I wonder if other people do this?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I don't understand.

The opposite of somebody that thinks all things to do with structured life is malevolent.
erm, those in charge of structuring your life to a certain form to conform to an agenda.

I never understood how gravity worked until someone explained that it was just the opposite of anti-gravity.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

OH! So that's what gravity is; I get it now!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I don't understand.

I never understood how gravity worked until someone explained that it was just the opposite of anti-gravity.

Some people walk around in a bubble believing that the world system is run by benevolent people.
That's fine I respect peoples worldview.
I personally think that to regard the world system with an unwavering view of benevolence or malevolence is unrealistic and unprofitable.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
TV sucks. Get rid of it and be free. Period.

top topics

join