It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital on lockdown due to hazmat situation in Zeeland mi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
ZEELAND, Mich. (WOOD) — Crews are on scene of a potential hazmat situation in Zeeland Friday evening.
The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department says they have crews at Vertellus Specialties, Inc., located at 215 N Centennial Street which is in an industrial area.
Authorities have evacuated nearby businesses. Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital is on lockdown, but is still accepting patients.
We are working to find out more information at this time.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: slayerfan
Found this on RSOE

Ottawa County dispatch tells WZZM 13 Zeeland firefighters have responded to a chemical leak at 215 N Centennial Friday evening. That's the address of Vertellus Specialties. A hazmat team was called to the scene, as well, to respond to what's reported as a small cloud of phosphorous trichloride.
A company spokesperson said the chemical is a raw material used in one of the plant's food products. Firefighters first arrived on scene shortly after 7 o'clock. Authorities on the scene said there have been no injuries and there are no health concerns.
Dispatch says emergency crews have evacuated a business next-door to Vertellus, but there haven't been any other evacuations. Centennial St. is closed from Roosevelt to Washington, and Washington is closed from Centennial to Fairview.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

It says no health concerns but hospital is on lock. Down?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Depending on what the hazmat is, it might not be. We had a ground crewman get hit with hazmat and have to take him to the emergency shower. It wasn't dangerous to him, but because it was listed as hazmat he had to go shower immediately.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This is what got me
Thanks Mianeye

A hazmat team was called to the scene, as well, to respond to what's reported as a small cloud of phosphorous trichloride. A company spokesperson said the chemical is a raw material used in one of the plant's food products.

Isnt phosphorous trichloride listed as a stage 3 WMD ? 600ppm can kill in minutes. And they use that in food products?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
This is what got me
Thanks Mianeye

A hazmat team was called to the scene, as well, to respond to what's reported as a small cloud of phosphorous trichloride. A company spokesperson said the chemical is a raw material used in one of the plant's food products.

Isnt phosphorous trichloride listed as a stage 3 WMD ? 600ppm can kill in minutes. And they use that in food products?

Now I want to know what food product so I can avoid it like the plague.
edit on -05:002016Sat, 02 Apr 2016 02:03:36 -050030America/Chicago000000Sat, 02 Apr 2016 02:03:36 -0500SatAmerica/ChicagoApr by PorteurDeMort because: Poor editing

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort

originally posted by: Gothmog
This is what got me
Thanks Mianeye

Now I want to know what food product so I can avoid it like the plague.

Yeah , me too.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

a reply to: PorteurDeMort

I don't think it has anything to do with food products.

Here is their website.

Vertellus specialities.
edit on 2-4-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

edit on 4/2/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   
1. When an emergency of a specific nature is announced in specific area a plan goes into place immediately. It makes no difference what the cause is for a Hazmat event in the initial stages, schools, hospitals, gov facilities etc, will go into lockdown or be on special measures the moment the alert is raised depending on the preliminary assessment. This is a precautionary measure and doesn't mean the sky is falling or the zombie apocalypse has started.

2. The use of phosphorous trichloride in food production does NOT mean you are being poisoned by what's in your food. Anyone with even the simplest grasp of chemical science would understand this. A simple coloring agent, food stabilizer or other additive might be dangerous when it's transformed into another form, and in massive quantities, that does NOT mean that the infinitesimal amount of a particular compound a company might use in the production method is going to make your brain fall out - assuming you have one.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: Gothmog

a reply to: PorteurDeMort

I don't think it has anything to do with food products.

Here is their website.

Vertellus specialities.

A direct quote from your post :

A company spokesperson said the chemical is a raw material used in one of the plant's food products.

I was hoping someone had printed or said that in error. But , if they produce food there , and the stuff is lethal , and there has been one accident....

But that could have easily meant one of the company's plant food products....(which would have made more sense)(like EZ-Grow carrot fertilizer)

edit on 2201630020420162 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Oh whatever would the world do without all these important and vital chemicals? I do hope no one was badly exposed here, whatever happened.
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

ebola?

top topics

join