It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 things I hate. Refitting bathrooms and "mates rates"!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: nonspecific
and run them through the thicknesser after drilling and plugging the nail holes themselves.

Posh bastard!

I made a perfectly good shed some years ago solely of free pallets and roofing felt, I only denailed then treated, saved a fortune in timber....but if you want a planed finish yeah, posh bastard!

Nothing against a pallet shed, had one myself and it is more than likely still there, build like a tank.

My issue is when someone asks me if I can make them say a table or a similar but expects me to turn the half rotten pallets they found into a piece of furniture that will look good and last a lifetime.

Not posh mate, I just take pride in what I do

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Haha, fair one

I get similar with folk who think a square metre of plastering is a five minute job, when the drying time is the same as a full room. More smoking/drinking time though, and everything is clean and ready to go home after the final trowel.
Mates rates are great if you don't mug yourself...

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

a reply to: nonspecific

Haha, fair one

I get similar with folk who think a square metre of plastering is a five minute job, when the drying time is the same as a full room. More smoking/drinking time though, and everything is clean and ready to go home after the final trowel.
Mates rates are great if you don't mug yourself...

I had a similar thing today when my neighbour said he thought it would only take 2 days to rip out a bathroom, fix the plumbing, 80% tiled walls, floor levelled and tiled, new bath, sink and toilet, waste moved to box in, custom made sliding bath panel and paint. WHILST using him as labour and teaching him how to do all the jobs so he can do his second bathroom mostly on his own.

He thought that it would not take long as it was only a small bathroom.

I had to explain that the only real difference between a small bathroom and a large one is the amount of whole tiles in the middle of the room that take no time at all.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Lol, he's obviously never built a shower base then.
And you are absolutely correct, the only difference the size of the room makes is tiles/vinyl/plastics/paint.
On mates rates though, my experiences have been great, food, smoke, beers, whatever is mutually agreeable...I tiled a bathroom for sex one time, but that's another story.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Lol, he's obviously never built a shower base then.
And you are absolutely correct, the only difference the size of the room makes is tiles/vinyl/plastics/paint.
On mates rates though, my experiences have been great, food, smoke, beers, whatever is mutually agreeable...I tiled a bathroom for sex one time, but that's another story.

I bet that small Chinese man still thinks of you every time he takes a dump....

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I bet that small Chinese man still thinks of you every time he takes a dump....

Oh, no, he was from Thailand.
I did a decent job as well, I wanted to take what the job deserved...and I did.

*Edit*
Nah, she was a little blonde hotty who I'd fancied for ages and teased me all the way through the job until it was finished.
Payment was well worth it and HMRC couldn't tax it.

edit on 3.4.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join