It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Wonder People are Shallow and Hate Themselves.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Kim Kardashian looks so beautiful in that picture like wow.

The others are beautiful too, just older. Geezus. And those pretty young things (the word young is in yellow, lol!)? First of all they are PEOPLE and not THINGS. And second of all, they are going to battle wrinkles one day TOO! And face other horrors of aging as well... and then they'll probably end up in a magazine like this criticizing their bad hair days and lack of mascara next to the next generation. Sheesh! I see what you mean, that magazine is kinda evil.!

I spend like ten minutes on makeup, tops, most days. Eyeliner, mascara, and some foundation or bb cream or something. Also I have gray hairs and major roots growing in? And this crease forms where my third eye would be whenever I frown... I'm just not going to worry about it right now or else it'll make it worse.! I would probably botox or something if I had the money tho, lol. Or do other things along those lines. Being real. Maybe I'm wrong tho.
edit on 1-4-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I don't tend to wear make up unless it's a special occasion. My skin breaks out horribly afterward.

So I am almost always au naturale. I am also not one to dye my hair. I'm getting some gray up by the part, but that's about it.

For the rest, who cares? I'm getting older. Oh well, happens to everyone.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Most of the female celebrities look bad with or without makeup because they ruined their looks with plastic surgery. The funny thing is most of them were very attractive when they started and then they got insecure because of all the nonsense about how they weren't "manikin perfect" (Which is freakshow stuff).

Most average women look just fine without makeup. Some are actually good at applying it so it does add a nice touch.
edit on 2-4-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I hate those magazines. They are so cruel. I don't know if it is because I live in France, or because it is in a country-rural area, but women retain a more natural look with less make up (at least compared with Southern California!)

I found that had a profound effect on me in the long run when it comes to my own self image, and my concept of beauty in general. One of the things I had to face was that what looks good in photos, does not look good in real life.
We can easily forget that and not be aware of how scary and ugly we come across each day caked with make up, because we take a selfie (or someone else takes a photo of us) and it looks pretty.
Add to that our culture which condemns criticizing others as only an act of hostility and aggression upon their individual freedom, and we go along with a totally false idea of our impact and appearence in relation to the world.

These women are beautiful, but they come off as less in still photos, and we are desensitized to natural (more subtle) beauty.
It's like someone who is so used to spicy food, they cannot appreciate the difference between a hothouse and natural grown tomato anymore.

I learned long ago to go without makeup most of the time, so that my entourage gets used to it, sees my positive characteristics without it, then when I do put it on for a special event (at night with special lighting...), I can knock them out of their socks!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The only ones receiving complements are at the bottom all are gay I believe, so maybe this was supposed to be some pointed article clearly they are no better or worse looking without heavy makeup than the rest shown.

I wish people would look more closely they have eye makeup and lip stuff on they are not without makeup they have on what most women in the grocery store is wearing all but the bottom three.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Im so glad at my age im over the "you must have perfect hair make-up and clothing" bit.At age 50 I wear sporty style soft comfy clothing most of the time,and for unexpectedly having to go into town,i make a ponytail and slap on a pair of sunglasses.I don't feel i have to impress anyone anymore.If i am clean,smelling of my favorite rose perfume,my clothes are clean,my hair tied back+my glasses,thats me good to go.If thats not good enough for anyone who has to lay eyes on me,well thats their problem not mine.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I am only attracted to women who dont wear too much makeup. Natural beauty is destroyed by makeup over time.

A radiant woman will look stunning no matter the pretty whale guts she spreads on her face.

I actually think "pretty" women that are all "dolled up" look ugly.

That is what makes older women so attractive to me. If they were kind to their bodies, they look like GODS in their prime.

My wife knows this. She has never failed to stay beautiful with a healthy smile. THAT is the secret. Well maybe she adds some eye liner and stuff, SOME MAKEUP...lol, thats on her though.

Beauty is a disposition like being happy is. They go hand in hand, for both sexes-

edit on 4 2 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
If people didn't read these rags they wouldn't exist. People ARE shallow.

You don't need to crusade against this, simply don't buy it. When it's off of your radar you can move on to important things that you can effect in your life. 7 billion people in this world. It's probably healthier to focus on the one that you can change permanently... yourself.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mrgone

Obviously I'm not buying them. They were sitting in the doctors office.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This mag is shallow, but the act of applying makeup and dress goes back to the beginning of time. It's a luxury.

I don't think many corporations existed in the early stone age to profit off of self-esteem issues.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
All those people are famous because how they look, or because how we perceive they look.

Because how they look, people listen to their political advice. A hottie in their underwear tells you to vote for Sanders, some will do it.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Personally I am grossed out by all magazines at the doctors office.

Alll those infected people, touching stuff, stuff I could touch.

And what if they're sick?

/shudder

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Well...I'm certainly not dating any of THOSE women anymore.

you wouldnt have a chance with them on their worst days anyway so dont worry about that.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I would love to see images of the people writing this nonsense. I'm sure they are SOOO beautiful.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If it weren't for magazines like this we'd be confused into thinking they're actually desirable. I would think other women would find it amusing to see how a few pounds of war paint can make men desire them.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

No problem. Though honestly, I wish this stuff never existed. Don't get me wrong, it's none of my business if women choose to wear or buy this stuff. If they like it then that's all fine & dandy.

The part I hate is when women feel like they have to do this stuff just to be accepted in society. And even worse, when people look down on women for not doing some of this stuff. A lot of women feel like they can't even go out in public without wearing their makeup & whatever other morning rituals they do. That just feels wrong to me because they should be accepted as they are.
This is an interesting post. I remember when I worked with the public and wore a bit of makeup for enhancement and it's not just a level of acceptance,
I actually get more respect if and when I "put on my face''. These day's I don't give a hoot, we as human beings are much more than trying to look good for people and should be accepted and respected for our quality of being and actions.
I do find that sometimes enhancing your appearance can lift your spirits... just because you feel a little different, like when you put in a little extra effort in presenting yourself to the world and people pick up on this... it's the same feeling you get with a nice new outfit or fresh clean clothing.
A well groomed cat, has been known to hold its head a little higher too.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
i was a stripper for 3 years and let me tell you, I've seen some straight up hags in my day. Makeup and alcohol are by and large the #1 aging components of our every day lives. Smoking probably has a lot to do with it as well. Sadly they would resort to plastic surgery and most ended up looking botched. There were ones who at age 26 looked 35. Ones who were 32 looked 50. No joke.
And they spent at least an hour every night in the dressing room putting on as much makeup as they could. I'm not trying to bash them, but I do want to state to any girls who may be reading this that makeup is your skin's enemy. Its a total waste of time and money for the most part.
I knew one girl (not a dancer) who told me there was a point in her life where she couldn't leave the house without full makeup- including fake eyelashes!! your psychological or spiritual health or possibly both is not anywhere near an equilibrium if you are petrified to leave the house with no less than full scale makeup and fake eyelashes.

On another note, one little make up brush can be anywhere from $5 to $40, mostly up towards the $40 mark if you halfway care about application. I have 2 naked pallets that were $60 each. My mascara for work was $30 and my foundation was like $50 or $60. These companies rob us blind and in return we grow to hate ourselves, dumping more money into a beauty industry that hates us. Then they blame it on men, as if men actually like makeup. I have never met a man who told me his woman HAD to have makeup on all the time. As a matter of fact most men will tell you the opposite. Patriarchy is a convenient scapegoat.
And it's not right to call these women ugly either. Just like for the photo shoots they try to get the best angle and lighting, they are trying their hardest to embarrass these women and give us the impression that they are ugly. They're taking snapshots at inconvenient times, at unflattering angles in terrible lighting. The captions are cruel and inhumane. I never check them out anymore, it seems they're getting more and more evil as time goes on. The actresses probably don't have a choice in their publication, it seems like some kind of humiliation ritual or something they all have to partake in at some point or other. Idk

None of us should be looking to any other person to feel better or worse about ourselves- other than ourselves.

Anyways I've found that the more you bypass the makeup and the hair iron, the more confident you feel the next day to do the same. And it's fun looking up and doing heatless hairstyles.
And as an ending note, tons of makeups are proven endocrine disruptors, cause reproductive issues, heighten your chances of cancer (not sure which types), increase risk for diseases like Alzheimer's and autism, and much more. Seems to me that almost every first world privilege comes with a very high cost, just look at the toxicity of our food, electronics, makeup, mattresses, our clothing, basically everything we touch, etc.

we can only hope that these trashy magazines are one day discontinued but they're like crack for a lot of folks so thats doubtful.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: golddogtoy77 I really like your post, especially about how the photographs of the people in magazines are just bad and taken at an inconvenient moment.
I remember watching a show with Joan Rivers hosting about stars that have dressed badly. The people in the photos she showed, were out in comfortable clothing doing everyday things... and putting them down for not being glamorous every second of every day... jeeze! That's a lot to ask, dress up and put make up on everyday!
I do believe a little tiny bit of "enhancing'' when one is tired or sick can be a bit of a pick me up in how we feel though and there are natural based cosmetics. I have never understood the makeup that is like foundation and cover up sort of stuff until I had seen a shopping network show that showed a woman without the cover up stuff on and I understood why she wore it to cover bad acne scarring and I didn't fault her for that.
Really some important things that should be stressed for good skin instead of makeup is a healthy diet and exercise along with proper washing of skin and moisturizing... but will most makeup companies teach those things!?! no, and I find myself watching these shows that show the ''improvements'' with the cover up makeup on aging skin and all I see is that the wrinkles are more pronounced!
Anyhow.. I'm going on and on, thank you for the thoughtful post.
And thank you OP for bringing this topic to light.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I never waste my time by reading magazines, except just may be to see what stupid things people are writing now. Better to use waiting time for meditation, that's what I do everywhere. If nervous about missing appointment then I knit socks or read some book, or talk with people. One has to decide in once life what wants to see and do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join