It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Time is Right for the Libertarian Party

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
For me, if I see a choice of Trump v. Clinton, it will be a very easy choice...... Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate.

If there was ever a time, at least in my lifetime, for new options to emerge and be taken seriously, it is now. When people take the time to understand and learn about it, the Libertarian platform is appealing to so many. The concepts of small federal government, individual liberty and reduced foreign intervention are ideas that are not hard sells to most Americans. Unfortunately, in past elections, people tend to not vote for Libertarians because either they don't know about it (good luck finding a major news outlet giving any notable time to Libertarians) or people tend to agree with the Libertarian party, but are afraid they would be wasting their vote and need to vote for "the lesser of two evils" to prevent "the greater of two evils" from gaining the presidency.

I for one, would prefer to vote FOR someone and am seeing less and less chance of that happening this year in our current two party system.

For that matter, why stop at a third party? How about the Sanders supporters break out of the established Democratic party and form their own party that actually represents their beliefs? I also could easily see the Trump supporters forming their own party if the RNC manages to swipe the nomination from him after he's won it.

Would the country really be worse off if the current two party system collapsed?

Libertarian Party Makes Substantial Gains

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
To be honest with you the Libertarian party will not succeed. Despite being registered as a member, the Libertarian party, like many other "third parties", haven't been successful in creating a network based on communities, electing their own candidates into different offices, etc. Before we have a candidate other then a member of the Democrat or Republican party in the Oval Office, we need to see other parties dominate both local and statewide governments; which in turn will improve their status in this country.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I hope so... I truly do.

We need options.. we need to break the 2 party strangle hold that is killing our country.

I disagree with some things the libertarians stand on, but right now I would take charlie manson over some of the crooks we have in office.. at least we know where he stands.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916

I agree with you about the problem, but the whole "It can't succeed so don't vote for it" is the exact argument the two-party system has used for decades to keep third parties from gaining support. I am watching the two parties basically self-destruct and completely ignore large portions of their voters right now and beginning to believe that the Democratic and Republican parties are the entities that shouldn't succeed.
edit on 1-4-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Slave2theTruth

I agree 100%... (beware rant inc not aimed at you Slave)people need to change their affiliation (if enough drop off their rolls then they lose money, and risk being relegated to third party status) they need to vote for someone else... anyone else... heck write in potato if that makes you happy.

The only wasted vote is casting a vote for the same corrupt nitwits that got us to this point... the people that made party loyalty pledges... get paid 250k dollars to speak to big money people, hoping that this time they will represent the people.

I am voting VPOA, but if libertarian, works for you do so.. constitutional, green... whatever change your affiliation vote for people you believe in... stop wasting your vote on the 2 parties that are more concerned about their wealth and power than doing right by the people they were elected to represent.

eta:
Anyone remember when Perot ran... when he got all those votes congress was almost scared straight... for a few years we had a productive congress, the only way to make sure they understand how fed up we are is to start handing them pink slips.
edit on 1-4-2016 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I have an inkling that there will be far more dissatisfied voters after conventions have taken place.
I am already very unhappy with it, but that is because I don't like any of the candidates fielded so far by either party, and there are far to many deluded people out there supporting the losers that are available.... making it very difficult for Gary Johnson to have any hope.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I believe so too. Or at least it's better than it has been ever. As it grows it still needs more participation. I fear this time many have abandoned it for the Independents leaning candidates who are running Dem or GOP now.

I'm heavily supporting it this time around though I ma not fall in line with every stance-who does with a party anyway. It's time to dissolve the two party system allow people to have more of a choice that isn't rife with corruption, voter fraud, more.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Ummm...I wasted my vote on Johnson the last time...and on Ron Paul the time before that...

The problem that I see is that there is no coherent libertarian message...there are many who claim to be Libertarian...yet no singular platform of..."this is what Libertarianism is and stands for"...It's not enough to say we're Constitutionalists...because that to me is just too vague...

I've even taken to calling myself a...Constitutional Libertarian...whatever the hell that means...

Until the various factions of Libertarianism come together and codify what it is they all agree to and stand for...then I really see no hope of them ever appealing to the majority...it's not enough to state what you are against...the message is too garbled...what are you...FOR...Being for liberty just rings hollow unless there's a foundation to support the idealism...

Quite frankly I'm unsure who I will cast that vote for...perhaps I'll go the route of incremental Libertarianism as per the Trump campaign talking points...I just don't know at this point...way too early in the game...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I agree with you 100%. The Libertarian Party has a long way to go and really still needs to get a more coherent message and platform. My main point is that the time seems perfect now for another option to breakthrough and become viable. I just think there is a rare opportunity in this election for them. And, as the article suggests, if they could somehow bump their polling up into the 15% range, they'd get a podium on the debate stage. Of course, I imagine the RNC and DNC would move the bar to 20% before they ever let that happen.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
There aren't enough smart and logical people in the country for a libertarian party to be viable. Libertarians tend to be highly informed and logical. The vast majority of the voting public is not.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Ummm...unfortunately your probably right about raising the bar...I think that's a state issue although the RNC and DNC permeate all state governmental structure like a flesh eating virus...They really are sides of the same bad penny...

I don't know...I hope your right...but it would take both the Berner's and Trumpeter's coming together to have a large enough base to be viable...Remember...it would be third rail party...against the hangers on of that bad penny...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

thats something the people need to communicate to the third parties... if you take the states away from the big 2, you have them by the short and curlies..they play ball or you call a convention and start removing their perks.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Since the process is a joke and rigged(see Ron Paul 2008 and 2012) I ain't a gonna bother with voting but if I had the choice of a potato over Hilary or Trump or whoever these fools have given us, I'd take the potato.

Vote Potato 2016!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...I wasted my vote on Johnson the last time...and on Ron Paul the time before that...

Your vote was not wasted. That is what the two party cartel wants you to think.

The problem that I see is that there is no coherent libertarian message...there are many who claim to be Libertarian...yet no singular platform of..."this is what Libertarianism is and stands for"...It's not enough to say we're Constitutionalists...because that to me is just too vague...

Belief in the non-aggression principle makes you a Libertarian.If your against a monopoly of force by a government or person or party or system then your a Libertarian.If your for individual freedom over government freedoms then your a Libertarian.What about the ownership of your body? Libertarians are against unchecked centralized power. It's what separates a libertarian from an authoritarian.Democrats are bottom up authoritarian capitalists. Republicans are top down authoritarian capitalists.Both are pimping the US public with their own shiny gimmicks

I've even taken to calling myself a...Constitutional Libertarian...whatever the hell that means...

The constitution is a check on the absolute power of government.History has shown us that governments are too dangerous to not have checks and restrains.

Until the various factions of Libertarianism come together and codify what it is they all agree to and stand for...then I really see no hope of them ever appealing to the majority...it's not enough to state what you are against...the message is too garbled...what are you...FOR...Being for liberty just rings hollow unless there's a foundation to support the idealism...

The message is simple. You decide your future not complete strangers (with laws that they made without any or very little input from you).Do you want total strangers dominating you unchecked? Do you want total strangers making policies that effect you and your family and you have no say in the policies?

Quite frankly I'm unsure who I will cast that vote for...perhaps I'll go the route of incremental Libertarianism as per the Trump campaign talking points...I just don't know at this point...way too early in the game...

YouSir

edit on 1-4-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Ummm...it should be obvious by now that I get all that...the translation loss however...is going from theory to practice...

A Libertarian based society is so far removed from what we have...that the fight is against conditioning...an incremental conditioning that took literally decades and decades to achieve...
Any chance for Libertarianism to succeed would be based on incrementalism as well...Taking those Statehouses and Governorship's will take decades also...

While the message may be simple...it cuts across the grain of that incrementalism that begat the current state of politics that both birthed and destroyed..."the American dream"...

How do you propose we wake these millions from their drug induced torpor...I want solutions...and a coherent message that is just palatable enough for the lethargic to swallow...we'll have to carry them across that finish line in incremental little baby steps...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I disagree with you slightly...

is a third party going to win the white house while the republicans and democrats hold all the power... the answer is a resounding NO.

But they have gotten complacent and arrogant, they should have passed a law that would forever block third parties but they didnt, they left a window open hence all the 5% meme's floating around. If 5% of the registered voters go to any 1 third party we have a choice and can begin chipping away at the strangle hold.

I have become that annoying ass to my family and friends... someone says anything positive about the republicans or democrats I point out the myriad of screw ups... then ask them why... do they accept such abject failure from the people that are supposed to serve us.

Its not easy... but whats the old adage.. nothing worth having comes easy..

The people have taken the easy way out for to long, and its going to take probably twice as long to fix it as it took to arrive at this point.

It boils down to (for me at least) is the future of our country.. and the future lives of our kids(grand kids, adopted kids, or the kids of today in general) worth fighting for, if the answer is even slightly in the yes department we need to fight and keep fighting... our parents may have let it slip away but I believe that the majority of our citizens want the country to do better in all aspects and we can only fix it by fighting for it.

I find myself on a rant again... apologies.

edit on 1-4-2016 by Irishhaf because: i spell gud

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The two party cartel has ran up $18 trillion in debt. We need to stop rewarding failure.

We don't have to vote for the two party cartel. Really we don't.

Voting for those two gangs is voting for continuation of failure.

We can punish the status quo by voting for a Libertarian.

We get what we want or they don't get what they want.

When the budget gets balanced,jobs are stopped from leaving the country, and the illegal immigration problem gets solved then maybe we'll allow a republican or a democrat back in office.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I agree, the time is right for the formation of new parties.

Unfortunately, many aspects of Conservative politics suffer from the same bunch of loudmouth radicals.

It's not unreasonable to point out that the venn diagram of politics in the US, specifically when it comes to Conservative audiences, involves a lot of racism, a lot of evangelical religious opinions, a lot of homophobia and a lot of dictatorial attitudes which belong in the 50's or earlier.

The same kind of radicals you currently have in the Republican wing will be seen in any new Libertarian party. Take a look at the Sov Cit movement, many of whom consider themselves to be Libertarian. Before you can blink you would have plenty of them jumping up on podiums to make ignorant statements most of the country would reject instantly.

I can tell you what's going to happen, or at least what I believe will happen - In November, either Hillary or Bernie will win, it will be crushing defeat of the Conservatives across the US. Finally (about time) the Republicans will realize that they can't win an election while they perpetuate the same old religious nonsense, the same gun-toting, the same moralistic and out-of-touch opinions.

Many Republicans will either leave politics entirely, or become Democrat.

The Republican party will then split, with the formation of a new "far-right" party encompassing the Tea Party fringe and the kinds of people currently cheering for Trump. In fact, it would not surprise me if Trump continues to head that far-right party (of course while denying it's far-right).

You'll probably end up with a three-party system. The Dems will be in control, while Conservatives will be split between a more moderate Republican party finally free of the radicals, and a far-right party expressing the most blunt and ignorant ideas.

This would be an evolutionary moment in US politics and in the following years would probably lead to the formation of various political parties, in a similar way to many other countries around the world.

This would also be a period for the Republican party to gain back ground it's lost in this and previous elections and begin to gain more support for their more moderate policies.

This would be a good thing, it would allow for a better representation of views while moving the country forward, and without the usual circus of the left/right political mosh pit.

Whatever happens, I think most people will see this year that Republican party need to significantly change to meet the needs of the voting public. They're ignored this for far too long and become stubborn in the face of rejection. Until they realize that the American public has moved on from the policies they have historically preached, they will never become relevant again.
edit on 1-4-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

My boss was asked who he was going to vote for and he said he didn't care except he has to have a R next to his name.

My family is the same. R=yes and D=no.

How am I supposed to fight the brainwashing when the brainwashed don't even know they have been brainwashed? That's a heck of a sentence, grammatically speaking.

The machine is too powerful to fight. "They" won a long time before we were even born.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman
Your vote was not wasted. That is what the two party cartel wants you to think.

Agree so much. A vote for a democrat or republican is a wasted vote -- it's a vote for more of the same. Even if the Libertarians have no chance of winning a presidential race, right now, they could win something more valuable if people weren't so blinded by the two-party lie: the people could win the victory against the two-party system. That is a far more valuable prize, right now, than the presidency.

That said, I think the two-parties already colluded, in 2000 and 2004, to create the election debacles those years that paved the way for 'election reform' allowing them to hijack the elections in Florida and Ohio...and elsewhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join