It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beethoven's 5th and Higgs boson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I wont pretend I understand how they got this, or what it could mean.

Instead I'm putting it here.

I'm not sure if this video is serious even, 'cos the crowd looks funny...

The video is 1:30...everybody can spare.

Looking forward to some non scientific explanations from members who understand this.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Ummm....April 1........

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I think the explanation is...April Fools!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
well...hm...I cant say I'm surprised. The crowd did look like loonies

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
They have dissected matter to the nth degree and still haven't found the 'God' particle.

The fools are so busy looking for the answers, they can't see the forest for the trees. Ironic they come up with this on April fools…

Shut it down and go home, scientists. You're barking up the wrong tree.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
well...hm...I cant say I'm surprised. The crowd did look like loonies

Yeah. The ending credits listed people as "actors", so I would say that the whole thing was definintely an "act".

By the way, the "actors" who are listed are not professional actors at all, but real CERN scientists (I googled the names) -- albeit they are CERN scientists who are not below having a little fun. Maybe if they got better actors to do this, it might have been a little more believable (just very little more believable), but it wouldn't have been as fun for the CERN scientists.

edit on 4/1/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I guess you're right. Though I'm somewhat confused. Video was apparently uploaded yesterday. The whole thing looks like a joke by the way they behave...though I would have expected at least a tiny disclaimer.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

They have dissected matter to the nth degree and still haven't found the 'God' particle.

The fools are so busy looking for the answers, they can't see the forest for the trees. Ironic they come up with this on April fools…

Shut it down and go home, scientists. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Me thinks you don't understand what these scientists are doing, or possibly what science is.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I would love to discuss the what you feel is the "forest". However...it appears this was a April fools joke...so I''m not sure if it's worth it on this thread.

take care man.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AudioOne

Me thinks you don't understand what these scientists are doing, or possibly what science is.

Well, they didn't find what they were looking for, did they?

Ah well, switching focus to new forms of weaponry.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

..though I would have expected at least a tiny disclaimer.

In the tradition od April Fools Jokes, it seems disclaimers are not usually given -- such as this BBC "documentary" from the 1950s about Italy's annual spaghetti tree harvest.

I suppose CERN being a science institution, they should give some sort of disclaimer, but it could be argued the DID give a defacto disclaimer by calling the people in it "actors".

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

They DID find what they were initially looking for -- the Higgs Boson (what you and some others call the "God Particle"), which they found in 2012.

Now that they were successful in finding the Higgs, they have upgraded the LHC to be more powerful in hopes of making other discoveries, such as clues to supersymmetry and/or dark matter.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
the real music of the universe

www.nuclear.kth.se...

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yea they actually have a great sense of humor, I've met some people from Cern... very quirky individuals good people... good lord can they drink a lot.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

..though I would have expected at least a tiny disclaimer.

In the tradition od April Fools Jokes, it seems disclaimers are not usually given -- such as this BBC "documentary" from the 1950s about Italy's annual spaghetti tree harvest.

I suppose CERN being a science institution, they should give some sort of disclaimer, but it could be argued the DID give a defacto disclaimer by calling the people in it "actors".

LOL...that was a good one. Anyway...the problem for me here is...that people could start to take it seriously...and you would probably find it hard to convince some of them...due to there not being a disclaimer.

It sort of reminds me of purposely hoaxed videos...which I wouldnt mind at all...if there was a law that you have to put a disclaimer blow the hoaxed video.

Remind me again...why dont we have that law ?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

They DID find what they were initially looking for -- the Higgs Boson (what you and some others call the "God Particle"), which they found in 2012.

Now that they were successful in finding the Higgs, they have upgraded the LHC to be more powerful in hopes of making other discoveries, such as clues to supersymmetry and/or dark matter.

And weapons. But thats beside the by product. According to this they are looking for ever smaller particles. More powerful particle smashers will only result in tinier fragments until…

They will never find the "God Particle" because its not a particle, its a field.

Dr. Peter Higgs, the 84-year old who the Higgs Boson was named for, once said:

“…these particles are just packages of energy of some kind of field, and the feature [that] distinguishes this kind of theory, which leads to this kind of symmetry breaking, is the existence of what we, theoretical physicists, call the vacuum, which means nowadays something different than what it used to mean. It’s just the lowest energy state that you could possibly have in which there are no particles around but there may be something around. And that something around can be a background field of some sort, which pervades the universe.”

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I'm starting to hate April Fool's Day. I mean, it's fun, but all these great headlines for nothing!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I was simply responding to these posts by you:

I have no idea what the physicist in your post is referring to as "The God Particle", but that term was used (mostly by the media, but , granted, also by some physicists talking to the media) to describe the Higgs Boson, which was found by the LHC in 2012. Maybe this person has another definition of "God Particle", which is fine, but the fact still remains that the LHC originally set out to find the Higgs Boson, and specifically found the Higgs Boson.

So when you said "they didn't find what they were looking for", I responded by saying that they did find what they were looking for -- the Higgs Boson. Granted, finding the Higgs Boson did not answer every question we had about quantum physics, but no virtually no physicist thought that simply confirming its existence would answer every question we had about quantum physics (which is why most considered the term "God Particle" to be a misnomer).

HOWEVER, the Higgs Boson was the final piece of the standard model to be discovered. That's not to say it was the final answer, but it was the final particle theorized to exist by the standard model. Until it's discovery, it was the only a "placeholder Particle" in the standard model -- i.e., believed to exist, but never confirmed until 2012.

Like I said, CERN and other physicists fully understand that the discovery of the Higgs was not the be-all and end-all of physics. It got them closer to a final answer (which may or may not ever be found), but it was not itself the final answer.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

And the weapons 'research'?

Thanks for setting me straight (to some extent), I hold a different perspective. Maybe its not scientific enough.

Really, really expensive science like this and looking for habitable planets is kind of useless from where I'm sitting.

Atom smashers, searching for things out of our reach, fancy hotels in space are expensive, not well spent, imo.

You did read Hiigs comment in my last reply.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Now that I agree with. The original theory behind the search for the "mystical" god d___ particle was that it was the penultimate boson particle that provided objects with mass. What they have termed the Higgs-Boson , by their own words , is a "pretty boring boson". It is highly likely that the Higgs-Boson is not a particle , but the field between atomic particles which provides the mass of the object. And the reason that gravity exists as a wave.
So , in my humble opinion , I agree with Prof Higgs.

top topics

join