It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Reports Lasers could 'Cloak Earth' from Aliens

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Just a quick thought regarding the idea...

The lot are saying that we should hide our planet by shining a laser array into space, effectively neutralizing our planet's spectral dimming of the sun. They also state that we need only do it 10 hours every year. This would only cover us for the stars that are in the beam's path, and not from the billions of stars that aren't (such as those on the opposite side of the sun relative to our orbital position).

Now, If I was an alien civilization on a planet that just so happened to be in the path of that laser, I doubt I'd be duped by the ruse. My primitive pants-wearing monkey brain knows that a planetary transit can potentially take a fair amount longer than 10 hours, depending on the distance from the parent star. I think the most that it would do is to "reduce" the transit time, thereby indicating a closer orbit around the star (possibly close enough to indicate that the planet is outside the habitable zone).

Furthermore, if the beam was caught mid-transit, that would prove that there's something odd orbiting that star; If there was a dimming, then sudden brightening for 10 hours, and then a dimming again, that would look a bit suspicious, and not like a natural process.

Just my (very amateur, and in no way professionally endorsed) thoughts on the matter. April Fools, perhaps?
edit on 1-4-2016 by Havoc40k because: edited for knuckle-draggingly atrocious spelling errors

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Havoc40k

Good point.It'd have to work all the time or do they want to hide us from one particular planet?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

The other side of the coin though would be that if it DID work all the time, it wouldn't help at all.

Current visual detection techniques as we use them today let us detect planets by observing the dimming they cause as they pass in front of their parent stars. Now, if we hypothetically have an omnidirectional laser array (one that sends light out to cover every arc of our planet) that would make Earth's standard brightness higher to a distant observer, and hence the sun's overall brightness just that extra small smidge brighter in consequence. So we would still transit the sun, and dim its brightness by a relative amount (the size of the earth being the cause thereof), but we've "brightened" the sun's relative output with our lasers, so the non-transitional brightness would also be higher by the amount of output of our lasers.

In my mind the only way such a setup could work is if there was a laser array directed at every conceivable star in that could house extraterrestrial life, which, considering the number of stars out there, would make it completely unfeasible.

Lastly, in my mind, what would aliens gain by invading Earth? Even if they do come to our solar system, they would have access to every possible element they might require from all the moons and planets in our solar system - Water from Europa, Hydrogen and Carbon from Jupiter and the other Gas Giants, Methane from Neptune etc. They wouldn't need to fight us simple lifeforms for resources; that would just be a waste of time and effort for them...
edit on 1-4-2016 by Havoc40k because: added more paragraphs of own thoughts

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Havoc40k

Absolutely agree with you.

What could aliens want?

Food.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

We should shine lasers into space if we want to hide our presence from aliens, two US-based astronomers suggest.

Wow...silly US-based astronomers. Didnt they read conspiracy debunkers manuals ? They are wasting their precious education and time...because...the all powerful Fermi paradox conclusively determined with math, that we are alone in the universe. Period.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
The article piqued my curiosity only for a moment before I began to feel like I was reading a subtle expression of UFO Tabloid Sensationalism.

originally posted by: HolgerTheDane2
Since it is April Fools Day, we must assume it's a joke.

If not it is borderline stupid.
I hope it's an April fools joke because if not I'd agree it's stupid but I wouldn't use the qualifier "borderline". There are too many different directions the Earth can be observed from for it to make any sense and because of this it would do the exact opposite of the stated intent, to draw attention to Earth rather than cloaking it.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

it wont stop planetary masses and smaller being discovered by using Newtons law.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Havoc40k
Just a quick thought regarding the idea...

April Fools, perhaps?

No, because the article was in the news yesterday unfortunately.

The only thing foolish about this story is the notion that whatever is out there doesn't already know we're here.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

funny how they happy to spend money on stupid stuff like this and not give a dam about suffering people. they could easily insert a fresh water line to not so fortunate places.

no no, lasers it is.

I only wrote this to see my avatar works, just attached it.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
S'not a joke,

David Kipping (@david_kipping) | Twitter
twitter.com...
3 hours ago - View on Twitter
So it's April Fools day and our cloaking paper is making the rounds... honestly it's not a joke for the N>>1 time

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The beams could compensate for the dip in light the Earth creates when it passes in front of the Sun, as viewed from far-off worlds, they contend.

It may not be an April 1st joke but it is funny.
The evidence for our existence is already out there , to late to hide now.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The moons orbit would give this planet away, and as the moon has no atmosphere, how would the lasers work on the moon?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I do like the thought though, no reason to invite a vastly superior race over.

Hate to say it, but your slash pic was so much better...

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So my physicist friend told me he had already heard of this among his colleagues last week and that it is a real story. But he ultimately agreed that the idea was completely naive. He didn't have much else to say about it. Oh well.

But did anybody else check out this story here? I wondered if they were related. Cloaking technology has long been rumored to exist and I think a lot of people in the UFO community have always assumed that if the US government had UFO technology that it most likely has some kind of cloaking technology. It would be cool to know a little bit more about how it works or how it supposedly works.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I can think of little more absurd than the suggestion that a primitive species as ours could in any way fool an alien species capable of projecting force here on Earth. The universe is fourteen billion years old, and our species only discovered flight a hundred years ago, and the steam locomotive a hundred years before that. We've only just bare stepped out from our caves. It's extremely unlikely that any species which could discover us would be anything less than thousands of years more advanced than us. Imagine the present day US Army taking on Union Army of the Civil War. It would be a slaughter, and yet there's only a 150 year technological gap. While the Union soldiers who survive the initial onslaught may think they could conceal themselves with brush to prevent our forces from discovering them, they would be instantly found by our modern technologies such as helicopters equipped with FLIR.

They couldn't have anticipated we'd be capable of immediately detecting them despite their ruse. They'd be entirely unable to adapt to our methodology and capabilities before being completely annihilated. Yet, an alien aggressor isn't likely to only be 150 years more advanced than us. They're sooner likely to be 150,000 years more advanced. The more realistic comparison then would be modern America attacking Neanderthals and Homo Erectus - literal cavemen. These beings would be forced to contend with nuclear missiles and assault rifles, and yet it's debatable whether or not they'd even discovered the spear by that point. How realistic do you suppose it is that the Neanderthals could outwit and in fact thwart the modern United States military?

We've only just discovered our first plants beyond our solar system, and yet we think we know how to effectively conceal our own planet? We contemplate Fermi's Paradox, wondering why we haven't detected aliens yet, but the reason is incredibly obvious. It's not that we're the only sentient beings within the universe. It's that we've only discovered the radio a short time ago, and most other species haven't also only just discovered the radio. Most species who have discovered radio are far beyond such technology now. We can't detect them because we can't even imagine their method for communication. They're invisible to us because we're really very stupid. We can't even begin the process of imagining their technology, yet we're supposed to believe that we're capable of fooling and defeating it?

If advanced aliens tend to be searching for infantile civilizations as ours, then they'll certainly find us, regardless of what barbaric countermeasures our primitive minds come up with.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It's ridiculous.

Kepler has found thousands and thousands of planets including a great many in the habitable zone.

If we were to postulate a minimum of 50 years until the discovery of light speed travel and factored in Kepler has found very few candidates closer than 50 light years, that leaves a minimum of 100 years from discovery of Earth until arrival.

In other words we would have been discovered ages ago by any civilization headed our way, they know our mass. have a degree of knowledge of our habitability and even if they are still 30 light years out they have been receiving our tv and radio and using quantum entanglement based communications to send that info back to their home world instantly, decades before they get here.

In essence anywhere this story is broadcasted it will be received by any incoming or nearby searching aliens, sent home and laughed at long before we could ever build this.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Any being smart enough to travel the stars is smart enough to know that the best way to deal with troublesome viruses is a quarantine.

There is nothing in our solar system that would be worth the trouble of opening potential outbreak vectors.

That aside, a light show wouldn't do much to deter beings with the ability to travel the stars. They would be well past the technological point to monitor gravity wells, in real time, at vast distances (a requirement to move at high velocity through space).
edit on 1-4-2016 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Any being smart enough to travel the stars is smart enough to know that the best way to deal with troublesome viruses is a quarantine.

There is nothing in our solar system that would be worth the trouble of opening potential outbreak vectors.

That aside, a light show wouldn't do much to deter beings with the ability to travel the stars. They would be well past the technological point to monitor gravity wells, in real time, at vast distances (a requirement to move at high velocity through space).

In reality, any alien species is likely to be so different from us that Earth viruses wouldn't pose a legitimate threat. These beings would most likely be everything we're not and nothing we are. They needn't be carbon based. They needn't have anything resembling DNA. Look how varied the species are on Earth, and we all appear to have common ancestry. What's more, even on earth a virus which is dangerous to one species is usually no threat to most others. The odds are very low that pathogens present on Earth would be threatening to extraterrestrials.

This is just science fiction nonsense which modern scientists like Steven Hawking have been propagating in recent years.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

According to the pair's calculations, emitting a continuous 30-megawatt laser for about 10 hours, once a year, would be enough to distort the characteristic dip in light when Earth transited the Sun, as viewed from an alien Kepler telescope.

Complete and utter rubbish.

HAS to be an April fools piece...why?

For the very simple, and very obvious reason..that we would have absolutely NO IDEA from which direction these aliens would be watching from...

10 hours once a year...if this is a serious story, those two make me seriously worry for academia.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

This is just science fiction nonsense which modern scientists like Steven Hawking have been propagating in recent years.

He really has been the media's go-to guy for scientific opinion for quite some time now hasn't he? I mean he's certainly contributed his fair share to physics but he's no Albert Einstein and I know too many people that love to pretend to be informed and often they quote something said by Hawking that had been taken out of context.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join