It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe weather in the southeast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm really big into severe weather and tornados and things like that. For the record I live in North alabama(huntsville). I'm a little disappointed how hyped this event was and honestly glad(as far as I know at this point) there was little damage and no injuries or death.

All I want is to actually SEE a tornado in person or storm chase. I missed my calling. Became a chef instead(which I enjoy). Not wishing for april 27 2011 type tornados but just to see 1 in person.

I will say this though(little story), we closed early, where under a tornado warning. I was walking to my car, get in. Pouring rain, I'm soaked. 20 seconds later, completely calm. All of a sudden, 50-60 mph winds kick in. Lightning. Quarter size hail. 1 minute after, gone. Tornado warning expired. Light rain.

Who else loves sever weather? I sure in hell do and I've been thru tornados. Just not seen 1. So don't say you wish you would have never been through 1. I was in harvest Alabama when the ef5 came through that destroyed phil Campbell and hackleburg. Everyone always overhypes the 1 that hit Tuscaloosa because it hit a "big" city. Be glad this 1 didn't coone through back in 2011. If the 1 that hit hackleburg, Phil cambel and harvest went through Tuscaloosa, the red be nothing left.

So, who else loves severe weather or whishes they where storm chasers?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well i am all about enjoying gnarly weather from time to time unfortunately tomorrow I am driving from Dallas to Mobile Al so i really hope to not encounter too much heavy rain let alone a tornado!
not this time..

But i just left springtime blizzards in Colorado so the difference in climate the past day has really blown my mind!

Spring is much prettier down here. It exists!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
Well i am all about enjoying gnarly weather from time to time unfortunately tomorrow I am driving from Dallas to Mobile Al so i really hope to not encounter too much heavy rain let alone a tornado!
not this time..

Personally, I'll take severe weather over snow any day. You should be good though tomorrow. Be safe.
edit on 22Thu, 31 Mar 2016 22:48:08 -050020164831448f482016-03-31T22:48:08-05:00 by GroidNificent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: GroidNificent

Yea snow sucks. Sounds good thank you

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Tornadoes are nothing to screw with. I was in Dekalb County when the outbreak hit a few years ago, and it was godawful to see after. Entire streets were wiped out. The destruction was completely random. One house was hit and just gone, while another one 50 yards away was completely untouched. The fire station one town over became a triage station while the storms were still going on. There were two doctors performing surgery on people, trying to get them stable and keep them alive long enough to get them anywhere in the middle of the station, while the front part was acting as a shelter/triage center, and the back was a makeshift morgue. That same station went on to become a shelter for a couple hundred people afterwards, and at one point was making up to 8,000 meals a day for responders and people without homes.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
While I enjoy tropical storms/hurricanes, blizzards and thunderstorms, for some reason tornadoes scare me to death!! Hope you get to see one though one of these days, it would probably be an amazing sight to behold. (Obviously, hoping that if this is the case that no one would be hurt as I would never wish that upon anyone!)
edit on 31-3-2016 by JustAnObservation because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
We had a swiftly moving, really intense thunderstorm roar through this afternoon. A direct lightning strike on some part of the power supply put the entire city and a goodly portion of the county out of power for several hours. It was so powerful that it shook our house, 2 miles from the city and it shook houses in town in much the same manner. One surgery crew at the local hospital thought a bomb had gone off nearby.
Now, granted we're talking thousands, not tens of thousands but it made a real traffic mess and took a bite out of sales all across the city. Most of those thousands were back on line by dark but all night classes at the U had been canceled because they were running on generators as well.
Our brand new generator did its job, kicking in 10 seconds after the failure and humming along.
We've had reports of tornadoes in adjoining counties but thankfully, no reports of injuries or major damages.
God bless all those linemen and other first responders!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Tornadoes are nothing to screw with. I was in Dekalb County when the outbreak hit a few years ago, and it was godawful to see after. Entire streets were wiped out. The destruction was completely random. One house was hit and just gone, while another one 50 yards away was completely untouched. The fire station one town over became a triage station while the storms were still going on. There were two doctors performing surgery on people, trying to get them stable and keep them alive long enough to get them anywhere in the middle of the station, while the front part was acting as a shelter/triage center, and the back was a makeshift morgue. That same station went on to become a shelter for a couple hundred people afterwards, and at one point was making up to 8,000 meals a day for responders and people without homes.

I know all about them. I lived in harvest Alabama when the ef5 came through. Went 1/8 mile South of my house. Hit Anderson hills which was hit twice that year.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I love severe storms also. I am to old to go chasing, but love to watch Live Chasers. Anyone else love to watch live storm chasers can try this site:
TVNweather

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
We had rain and tornado warnings. Nothing came of it though just rain.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'm a weather watcher, but I don't screw around with it. If the weather comes this way, that's what the basement is for.

I grew up in central Kansas. When your formative years see small towns within 30 miles of your home getting blasted by EF4s ... you sit up and take notice when those sirens go off.

I think my closest weather call was when I was in college. I walked to work just about a mile. As I was getting ready to leave, the severe thunderstorm warning was issued. Of course one of the things they always talk about with those warnings is large hail. I called in to let them know I was on my way at best speed since the storm hadn't rolled in yet, but that I might have to duck into a business along the way.

The rain started along with some minor wind and lightning and thunder, but I soldiered on.

Just as I got to the mall and through the doors and into the store to duck into the back to change into dry clothing quick ... the first hailstones hit. We're talking grapefruit size. Yeah, I missed it by that much and the big stuff fell with no warning.

So, no, I am not in the habit of playing with the weather.

new topics

top topics

join