It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California car chase ended by F-18E

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

If they have time, they have popup concrete poles that they can extend, but they need enough warning to deploy them.

The Jeep drove through the air station’s front gate before security had time to deploy bollards, Lt. Jr. Grade Madison McSweeney said.

How much time does it take to deploy the bollards? I seem to recall seeing a video of some apparatus they were using in the ME that more or less explosively deployed the steel posts from beneath the roadway to stop incoming truck bombs. But I just looked at a few videos online and it looks like the hydraulics don't raise the posts that fast.

In any event it is somewhat disconcerting that a vehicle could crash through the gate of a military facility like this and get as far as crashing into a very expensive military plane.

-dex

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

They have some that are really fast, but most of them take about 10-15 seconds to be up high enough to make a difference.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Here we see a rare photo of the Vehicular Drop Test being prepared to be performed at Eglin AFB.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Aaaahh wonder when that one was going to show up.
This one is a close one as well.
F16 shoots up SUV

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Our boys in Iraq are probably happy the pilot is training hard not to kill them....

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Presumably he was using training rounds? If not those guys sure got the lucky ticket that day...

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
And people wonder about being able to take out bases under martial law...

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Does this mean they dropped the aircraft on the vehicle to see what damage it would inflict on the plane?

If that's the case, then I would say the car was the definite loser here.

-dex

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
How fast are those concrete poles, have you ever seen them deploying?

The metal ones at a facility in germany can made to "pop up" in around a second and they stop trucks if necessary. They come with a special plate that protects you if you should stand on it the moment it is deployed to not break or cut the legs but push you aside.

They can also penetrate the floor metal of an electro SMART with ease if it should drive over it when deployed fast. But this is another story ^^

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Haha, Dude, where's my car

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Here we see a rare photo of the Vehicular Drop Test being prepared to be performed at Eglin AFB.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I have to ask this , but would not the stabilisers of a parked f18 be a little high for a jeep to hit . I only ask this as i had a chance to get up close and personal with the original f18s that Australia bought in the 80 s and was surprised at their size .

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Look at the cars left front wheel...

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

No. The back end drops as the hydraulic pressure in the system drops. So they end up hanging down somewhat, and the aircraft isn't that tall to begin with.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

It depends. Some bases have the ones that deploy almost instantly, others need 8-10 seconds to deploy fully. It was pretty much up to the base in question as to which they went with, as long as they were installed.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I like the pop up cable mesh ones like they have at the Boston Federal Reserve Bank. I'd imagine that they work something like Veg-O-Matic on non-reinforced vehicles...

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
How did this guy get on to the tarmac? Does a NAS have less security then an AFB?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

He blew through the gate and was heading towards the ramp before they could stop him. They had units pursuing him but he hit the plane first. They were hauling ass when they got to the gate.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
About two days before this happened, I ran across an article on an aviation site that people in California that are running from the police are using approach paths of airports to force the helicopter to break off. Then they only need to lose the ground units.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The tarmac wasn't fenced off from the rest of the base? You don't want noners let alone civis getting close.

After looking at the station in some sat maps they do have fences but a couple of gates are seen open.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Most bases I've been on the area around the hangars isn't fenced and has easy access to the ramp. They leave a lot of access for various vehicles and ease of access, so you don't have to go halfway around the ramp.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join