It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a 25 year old Pakistani Muslim male living in the USA.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Sometimes what you don't see isn't there

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

No I would not trade religion for world peace. I don't think it is possible to have a world without religion in it. It is too fundamental to the way our minds operate. Even if we could somehow excise religion from every person on earth, I think there would immediately be new ones the very next day which would catch on very quickly.

The reason we do not have world peace is because humans are ignorant and full of desire. Religion is meant to help us mitigate these two aspects of our existence. If we rid the world of religion I think we would have even more violence and unrest.
edit on 10-4-2016 by thothful because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: thothful

No I would not trade religion for world peace. I don't think it is possible to have a world without religion in it.

Just going to stop you right there:

So you're saying you think God created the world,

Or that there wasn't such a thing as a peaceful moment before Religion?

Wait, actually no:

No I would not trade religion for world peace.

Seriously?

Not just even straight up?

You gave some long drawn out bogus about how someone would recreate it. You understand my assumption would be it was you?

Consider it rationally.
If you had a time machine, and could go to the future and check, but hypothetically, you could, and you saw:
A World with no Religion and World Peace

Would you ditch the mantra or keep faith?

If for some weird reason you decided to stay in the future also, would you doctrine your religion there, knowing there is no issues?
edit on 11-4-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Sorry Jack but the answer is still no.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: thothful

Im also a Muslim, but im from Indonesia.

But different with you, i dont see Hadith as "holy books", and as must used guide to read and interpret Quran. To me Quran is the holy book, and to read and interpret Quran we need good heart and common sense. Quran must be pure, it's a guide for good people to read (not for bad people), and must not be contaminated by other book like Hadith.
edit on 11-4-2016 by aphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: aphon

Greetings Aphon, I agree with you completely.

Salaam

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Oh, i thought youre part of majority Muslims who believe in all Sahih Hadith.

My bad.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: aphon

Quite alright Aphon.

No need to worry about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: aphon

Quran must be pure, it's a guide for good people to read (not for bad people), and must not be contaminated by other book like Hadith.

What do you mean by pure? Why do you say the Quran is only for good people? We all know that there are good and bad guys reading the Quran. Shouldn't a bad person become better by reading the Quran instead of wanting to kill more none-believers … ?

In my opinion the Quran is a schizophrenic text that says there is no compulsion in religion, but it's ok to kill Apostates.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The reason we do not have world peace is because humans are ignorant and full of desire. Religion is meant to help us mitigate these two aspects of our existence.

Can you enlighten me how Islam is helping us to understand ignorance when it comes to gender equality and homosexuality?

Looking at the prophet's life: "mitigating desire" doesn't really apply considering all his sexual exploits and thirst for power.

I'm open to any sensible explanation, but just spewing out platitudes like: Religion is meant to help us mitigate these two aspects of our existence is either awfully naive or calculated misguidance.

If we rid the world of religion I think we would have even more violence and unrest.

As we see in the Middle East your words ring so true … ???!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AllIsOne

Do you think religion is the reason we do not have world peace?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

originally posted by: aphon

Quran must be pure, it's a guide for good people to read (not for bad people), and must not be contaminated by other book like Hadith.

What do you mean by pure? Why do you say the Quran is only for good people? We all know that there are good and bad guys reading the Quran. Shouldn't a bad person become better by reading the Quran instead of wanting to kill more none-believers … ?

In my opinion the Quran is a schizophrenic text that says there is no compulsion in religion, but it's ok to kill Apostates.

It's not ok to kill other than purpose of self defense. Apostate or non apostate..
If hadith says something different, then that hadith can go to hell.

Quran is only for certain people who qualify Al Baqarah 2-5 (person who's afraid of doing evil, who believe there is a god, who is generous, who believe in the unseen, who pray to God, and who believe God sent prophets and revelations). So someone has to be like that first to may follow Quran.
It's my opinion based on Quran, since i dont believe in Hadith like some Muslims do.

Btw, bad people shouldnt read Quran. It's clear that the book is only for people who are stated above^

What makes person bad is that own person, cos human have free will.
edit on 14-4-2016 by aphon because: adding detail

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

a reply to: AllIsOne

Do you think religion is the reason we do not have world peace?

Having lived in Pakistan (Lahore, Mianwali, Chashma, Dera Ismail Khan, Quetta), I can assure you that religion is not the reason we have world peace...

...wait...

...maybe YOU need to rethink that question while soul searching the reason why your country has still not found peace with itself!

By the way, where in Pakistan are you from?
edit on 20-4-2016 by notmyrealname because: spell check

edit on 20-4-2016 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

"You can assure me that religion is not the reason we have world peace."

What?

There isn't world peace. Was that a typo or did you mean that?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Exactly; and I used your own country as an example.

Forgive me for being facetious however, your posts seemed to lack that certain type of ...

... reality....

or not; you decide.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It's quite the mark of ignorance to presume one knows reality.

Either way only cowards strive to live in the common world of reality, at least I have the courage to have my own views unlike you Mr. Reality.

edit on 21-4-2016 by thothful because: Wording

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

It's quite the mark of ignorance to presume one knows reality.

Either way only cowards strive to live in the common world of reality, at least I have the courage to have my own views unlike you Mr. Reality.

I know and create my own reality; any ignorance that I possess is simply due to judgement that I have placed upon myself. Your statements are the ones that inspire rigidity and absolutes and those judgements are yours to ignore or deal with. If you choose to subjugate yourself to a belief system which dictates how you must act or how you must be and call that 'enlightened' or having 'courage', it does not affect me in the slightest.

Your comments regarding religion and it's supposed relation to peace are not views that I share nor does history back them up. I simply pointed out from first person experience that most of the conflicts that I have witnessed while in your country were not due to clashes with various religious sects, they were completely within a single religious faith and thus making your previous argument false.

If pointing this out makes you upset, don't pay attention to my comments. If you want to have a civil and logical discussion about our differing point of view then I welcome the mutual learning experience.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The only one whose upset is you. Don't project your anger on me.

And secondly don't use the word enlightened, because you know nothing of it.

Thirdly, just because you witnessed people of the same religion fighting means nothing.
Someone in a previous question asked me if I would give up the worlds religions for world peace. I answered no because I don't think that religion is what's stopping us from that, in fact it helps to facilitate peace, if it wasn't for the abrahamic religions we would still have human sacrifices going on. So in some respect religious thought helps facilitate peaceful living. People are fighting each other because we have a finite set of resources and man desires more than he needs, that's the root of it.

Lastly, I don't care about world peace, that's for fools and cowards. Only the sheepish would like to live in a comfortable peaceful world. I'm concerned with seeking a greater good which I believe a belief in God helps with. To me there is simply no point in giving up the pursuit of a greater good so everyone can be physically comfortable in there temporary earthly lives.

If you don't like my answer then too bad deal with it.

And again don't ever use the word enlightened, it only serves to show you are the exact opposite of enlightened.

Next!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Wow, aren't we full of fire...

Pffft.

It is very common for many that subscribe to religious beliefs to attempt to stifle anything that they do not want to hear. I will not succumb to censorship and avoiding the utilization of any word because someone may be offended. After all they are only words and my words are not meant to offend; they are only to illustrate my point of view in a non-egressive manner. If you get offended, the problem is you.

As far as my enlightenment goes, your post seems to insinuate that I do not possess any amount of enlightenment simply because I do not share your views. This is common for many people of faith as they believe that they are the only ones that know the 'truth'. It is this tendency that helps create disharmony between individuals.

"One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him." -Lao Tzu

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

It funny because your guilty of every single thing you just posted. Go back and re read what you wrote, your just describing yourself again.

The only person who is insistent on their views is you. You're the one who keeps coming back here to my thread to comment.

You have brought nothing new to the table, all you have done is parrot a bunch of atheist arguments you have read on the Internet.

Maybe you should quote some more people because it's clear you have no original thoughts.
edit on 21-4-2016 by thothful because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join