It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 500,000 Americans Stand to Lose SNAP Benefits

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Well if the employment figures have improved

There lies the problem. Unemployment number doesn't include those whom have "stopped looking" as they say. Doesn't include those that are doing the "disability hustle" thing or any of the other things that cloud the "real" unemployment number.

Oh, they play that game in the U.S also?

I thought it was a U.K thing.
:

I propose a foreign exchange across-the-pond program. I'll show you how messed up we are and you do the same

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Rabb420

Have you tried relocating to a different area with better job opportunities? There's more jobs than people where I live, and a few of the local churches have temporary housing for the homeless until you get on your feet. I know places farther south where you can get an apartment for $350 a month and fast food pays $10 an hour, my friend moved to a place like this. It is what our forefathers would have done - hence the people who risked it all to travel west for the opportunities. And the education program is more than fair. When you're in a dire situation and cannot afford food, and people are out of their kindness feeding you through aid programs, I don't think it is fair to complain about the terms. Nothing is free.

link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Take away something else.

Many innocent kids that depend on that food.

And in a lot of those households, they still don't get access to it because mom fences the SNAP for cash and goes and buys booze or other things.

link   
a reply to: Sargeras
Those politicians can't support both the able bodied foreigners, and the domestics.

Americans have become the redheaded stepchild. If they can't reach into your pockets and pull out something more than lint, than your sorry arse is considered expendable.

Their manipulations, just aren't killing us fast enough.

link   

The community service should be proportionate with the amount of assistance someone recieves. It can't just be free. Forcing taxes on a populace to give to another group of people with no requirements placed on the recipients is unjust.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And in a lot of those households, they still don't get access to it because mom fences the SNAP for cash and goes and buys booze or other things.

Can you provide a statistic to back-up that claim?

I understand quite well that it does occur, but it is not as widespread a problem as some make it to be.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

500,000 out of all the households on SNAP should make a dent in it then.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

That has already been done, unfortunately at Government level and their ideas have become increasingly messed up.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

circumstances beyond my control keep me here unfortunately and i never really complained about it not being free just that i refuse to work for 80 hours a month for 175 bucks!!! if they wanna give me food stamps in relation to how much work i do then hell yea lets do that but dont think for 1 minute that ill sell my blood sweat and effort to the govmnt for 80 hours a month and only pull in $175 in food thats insane.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: introvert

500,000 out of all the households on SNAP should make a dent in it then.

FACT: “SNAP has one of the most rigorous quality control systems of any public benefit program,” according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. SNAP fraud has actually been cut by three-quarters over the past 15 years, and the program’s error rate is at an all-time low of less than 3 percent. The introduction of EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) cards has dramatically reduced consumer fraud. According to the USDA, the small amount of fraud that continues is usually on the part of retailers, not consumers.

www.hungercoalition.org...

What's more important, saving a few bucks trying to stop something that is rare, or helping feed families?

link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

The community service should be proportionate with the amount of assistance someone recieves. It can't just be free. Forcing taxes on a populace to give to another group of people with no requirements placed on the recipients is unjust.

So is destroying the economy so the already filthy rich can get richer, which is where all this starts at.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

at the very least, any "able-bodied" person receiving any sort of benefits should be returning the favor through community service until they are able to find a job or what have you. I can think of plenty of tasks, some that would even reduce government spending if you have "volunteers" completing the job.

Actually, it may do more for the individual than it does to reduce gov't costs.

There is a City Agency that I deal with often that has various type of what they call "welfare to work" programs and you might be surprised at how many "seasonal/temp" employees (not volunteers because they get paid a few bucks while still receiving services) go on to become full time employees and many of them go on to turn those entry level jobs into careers.

Side note: I'm not sure why "they" don't publicize successes like that more often. I know there are a TON of absolute BUMS out there that love nothing more than gaming the system. Many of them quite literally laugh at people who are so stupid that they "work for a living," (even though on some level they realize that those stupid working folk live in better neighborhoods and all that). But the point is there really are a LOT of people that not only WOULD work, but they just don't know how to go about starting (which at times I blame their parents or relatives or even less than motivated social workers or parole officers for). I personally know quite a few people that were so excited to actually have a job that they were so proud to say they are working (even if it was picking up leaves in a city park or things like that). Those types of people, the ones that use pride in just HAVING a job are the ones that I don't mind at all helping out. The bums... not so much.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The bad guys are always one step ahead.

Lets forget about fixing anything. You introduce me to a few of your finest pints and I'll introduce you to the Long Island Iced Tea.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Nope. Not unless there's some repercussion (like forfeiture of body parts) for those people hiding behind the kids to full advantage.

I'm really tired of their hands in my wallet. Screw their damn kids too. They're gonna grow up and perpetuate the cycle if we let it continue.

Straight up the way I feel about it.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I don't know about other states, but in my state this only applies to able bodied adults without dependents to care for at home. So those children shouldn't suffer.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
The bad guys are always one step ahead.

Lets forget about fixing anything. You introduce me to a few of your finest pints and I'll introduce you to the Long Island Iced Tea.

I'll have to introduce you to the 'Bishop's Finger' or 'Old Speckled Hen'.

Had a few Long Island Iced Teas over the years, most agreeable I must say.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Well, sometimes when you are starving you have to do things you otherwise would not do.. as you said though, you can always hunt for food instead, or learn to forage or grow your own food if the terms are unfavorable for you. If I were starving and needed aid, I would be willing to adhere to those terms. Volunteering or educating myself sounds much better than starving, and it is only a temporary situation until true work can be found.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
a reply to: whyamIhere

I don't know about other states, but in my state this only applies to able bodied adults without dependents to care for at home. So those children shouldn't suffer.

Farmers grow that food. Is the system abused ? Of course...

I know that some kids do get to eat that food. Good enough for me.

Make them work, I don't give a crap. But, don't take a kids dinner.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Walk through the parking lot of any walmart in Phoenix and people sell their SNAP benefits for 50 cents on the dollar. (Mostly Illegals) They will buy me $60 bucks worth of groceries on their SNAP card and ill hand them $30 cash. Its a great racket. The n they buy drugs or whatever they needed cash for. It doesn't bother me hell Im paying for their benefits anyway. Might as well get some back whenever I can.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I entirely agree with you. I love helping those who want to help themselves, the rest make me so sad though, especially since they take away from those who truly need the aid. If there were less people gaming the system, more aid could perhaps go to resources for those with true needs. You bring up a really good point about those "temp worker" situations - starting points like these almost always open up more doors for individuals who are searching for them. In addition to perhaps being hired on full time, working like this exposes you to all kinds of people who may know someone that is hiring, etc. Forming relationships is so important for this reason, and that doesn't happen if you're bumming around all day without proper motivation to get out there and do something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join