It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There a Real and Measurable Magnesium Conspiracy Affecting our Health?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

This was a great post. I am very aware the nutrient value in foods has fallen. I take a lot of supplements. I had never thought of magnesium.

Though I wonder one thing. I was prescribed, a few months ago, magnesium citrate liquid for constipation which my dr thought might be causing me back pain. I received this from the pharmacist in a glass bottle, a liquid, with grape flavoring.

The directions were to drink the entire bottle in one sitting, probably a little more than a pint. 2/3 of the way through the bottle, I began to feel funny. Dizzy. Shaky. Short of breath. I was afraid I was having an allergic reaction. becoming unsteady on my feet, I called 911. I did get to the front door to unlock it. I did faint . I woke up to a paramedic taking my vital signs on my living room floor.

I did not get a rash. My throat did not swell up. So I am not sure it was an allergy. I am interested in seeing if I need magnesium, but I am not sure if the reaction was to that, the citrate part or the grape flavor/dye. The paramedic remarked that this was a common reaction, he had been to several calls for this. My 85 year old primary care doctor has no idea if it was an allergy.

I think I posted about this incident before, but did not specifically ask if anyone knew if this was an allergy or to what part of this concoction. I would like to figure it out if I am to try a magnesium supplement. There is almost nothing on the internet.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

No, the body adapts. For literally 100's of thousands of years mankind did NOT eat carbs the way we have been doing the last thousand years or so. We probably ate only 15-20% of our diet in carbs, and the ones we did eat were complex carbs from natural, unrefined plants and glyocgen from fats and meat.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Oh.

Oh. my.

I am...so sorry. I know the pain of mag citrate. I had abdominal surgery and had to chug down 2 bottles? I think? Maybe more, not sure.

I didn't leave the bathroom for an entire day. I had no idea that it was humanly possible to go #2 that much for so long. I wish the doctor would have told me "buy some wet wipes, toilet paper -- even Charmin isn't soft enough".

*shiver*

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Thank you for that! It's really enlightening to find out the various compounds that people use.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TigStar82

I think you outline well the crux of the problem -- soil depletion and failure to rotate crops. There is also information that suggests that some of the hybrids/GMO plants, while outproducing heirloom or open-pollinated crops, may overutilise soil resources.

Which begs the question: If they leech minerals from the soil, don't they go into the plants, and if not, where do they go?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PerdidoBlue

Well-rounded and beneficial information. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Mrgone

Not unlike my own recent nutritional changes. Like you, I've dropped 25 lbs. in the past two months and feel exceptionally good. Isn't it a treat to finally find something that works? I've also gone back to my old weightlifting regime,albeit with more focus on reps than weight and continue to start the day with Tai Chi just because it feels goooood.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Thank you for the information!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Thank you! I wish I'd have found that information when I was creating this thread.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Much appreciated! It's a delicate balance isn't it, until a person figures out what their body is trying to tell them. I didn't realize until very recently that my sleeping habits would benefit by taking Mg in the evening prior to sleep. I'm a little surprised that the B6 doesn't inhibit the absorption of Mg. In one of the 30-some-odd links I have stored, I thought I'd read a difficulty with B6 and potassium absorption when taken together.

If I'm wrong it won't be the first time today.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Not so sure about a conspiracy angle in this story, but i can quite imagine it's accurate that vitamin and mineral content in our vegetables have dropped over the years due to intensive farming methods, as you point out.

For me, the solution is clear...there are many countries around the world who use desalinated sea water as their main water supply.

The residue from evaporating sea water is the salts and minerals that were present in the original water.

Simply use this mineral rich residue to re-energise our farmlands..problem solved.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

That sounds very scary. If that happened to me, I'd probably stop drinking/eating everything except water until the Doc could do a work-up. Sure hope you get it solved. Keep us posted, okay?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Seems like a good *cough* solution
I live in a salt environment being in the Caribbean. In some ways it is a benefit. I wonder if that's why it always feels good to go into the sea -- the high mineral (Mg, S, NaCl) content.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Could very well be...our skin does absorb..so, yes it's certainly a theory.

Well...that and the high Ozone levels near the sea.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

In fact, thinking further...i proposed some years ago, that interconnected and massive barges (think multi-story tanker sized ships) anchored out to sea, could one day be the perfect fix for all or at least, most of our farming issues.

Hydroponics, powered by on board solar and wind turbines, possibly undersea generators using tidal energy, and that of rising and plummeting type generators, could make use of desalinated sea water, use the filtered minerals left over as ferts, and free up valuable land in the process.

It's a win win really. Just needs the initial investments and a trial version could be up and running in as little as a year.

If it worked out favourably, most of the worlds farming could be transplanted to ocean based, multi-story barges to make use of the essentially free resources of water, minerals, space...as another boon...the high Ozone present at sea, would also act as a natural fugus and bactiera inhibitor, cutting down on crop losses due to infections and so on.

edit on 1 4 2016 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Magnesium is easily absorbed through the skin.

I take a soaking bath twice a week with 1 cup Baking soda, and 2 cups of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate)

I have been doing it for 2 months now, and I notice a HUGE difference. I've had really bad insomnia all my life, and it's all but gone now.

No more anxiety, no more ghost muscle aches. No more of any of the things that have been plaguing me.

I swear by it.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I wonder if over a period of hundreds of years, will we as humans eventually evolve to compensate for this dilemma?

Life always finds a way.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
After years of exercising on a bike over a 20km run I noticed my times were getting slower and slower, started suffering from leg cramps and most frightening of all, started seeing whiteness at the outer edges of my vision which bulged from my peripheral vision at times. Then I read an older article in a forum (think was ATS) about someone suffering the same whiteness in their vision which they found was caused by a deficiency in magnesium. So I purchased wagner forte high dose magnesium and within weeks I was back to my old times, no more leg cramps, and whiteness in the peripheral of my vision dissipated within months. So I am a great believer in magnesium supplements and applaud the op for trying to spread news of magnesium deficiencies in the greater population (some sources quote 75% of the population are below the recommended daily magnesium intake).

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: soekvg

It 's a curiosity, isn't it? Can we evolve to match our resources? We'll see.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Thanks for your story. I used to have what the doctor said was a cluster headache. Similar symptoms as yours -- the whiteness or in my case sparklies around the edge of my vision. Usually I would take on water and it would go away. Since I've been taking more Mg, I haven't had this happen.

Anecdotal information is valuable. It isn't often truly measurable, but it gives us clues as to our common experiences.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join