It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is There a Real and Measurable Magnesium Conspiracy Affecting our Health?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:16 PM
a reply to: dogstar23

Thank you dogstar.. That's good info. It has been miraculous for us.

Much of the people around me expect to take a pill from their doctor and realize immediate results. Supplements are oft en different. What you are saying is correct and I thank you for saying so. Taking magnesium is like taking chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine sulfate for joint problems --- what you are doing is making the compounds available to your body and the body will take what it 'thinks' it needs. Thus it take some time for both the compounds to be assimilated and for a benefit to be realized.

Thanks so much for your post.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:24 AM
I grow our own fruit and veg in our garden and a few other plants, I add Epsom salts to my nutrient solution, its high in dissolvable magnesium and makes a lot of difference, Magnesium helps to uptake other nutrients like calcium phosphorus and potassium, take away the Mag and the others get locked out starting with calcium. a lot of indoor growers misdiagnose this as either a calcium or nitrogen deficiency but all they need is a little Mag and the plants bounce back to life in a day or 2

I live on farm land, about 5 years ago the local farmer sold his corn field to another group of farmers as he is more of a cattle guy then crops. The original owner would grow crops for 2 years and then next 2 years he would grow alfalfa. Alfalfa has extremely deep roots and pulls nutrients back to the surface, its then chopped down and mixed back into the soil to compost by it self giving the soil a good boost of natural nutrients and minerals (cal, mag etc) he would also add cow, sheep and horse manure
The newest owners have planted corn 4 or 5 years in a row just using chemical nutrients and last year they looked awful, just looking at the curled/canoeing yellowing leaves I can tell the field is now lacking in Mag. Modern farming techniques are ruining the land and taking all of the good stuff out of our food, it even tastes different to the old farmers corn (not that iv ever robbed a couple of ears of corn from them, no not me lol)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:49 AM
Over here everyone focuses on Magnesium, and chooses their mineral water accordingly. Some of them are very high in magnesium, some in calcium, some in both. I usually choose one that is very high in both. I've noticed leg cramps come up if I change waters to one that has less.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:56 AM
I've been a life long suffer of leg cramps. I thought it was a Potassium deficiency so I started taking that about a year ago. It really didn't help. After doing some research I started taking Magnesium. Its been about a month now and I'm starting to see results. I'm so excited and I plan on keeping it in the supplement rotation. 3 years ago my doctor told me my vitamin D was very low so I've been taking that ever since. I have high blood pressure and diabetes so I take a ton of supplements along with my meds. I'm not sure if they are all helping but they don't seem to be hurting me. I almost forgot about the emergenc drink packets, yummy.

Krill Oil
Mult Vitamin
Vitamin D
Chromium Picolinate
edit on 4/1/2016 by ZenTam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:18 AM
Magnesium is mostly stored in the heart and brain. To prevent muscle spasms it works with Taurine, the most abundant amino acid in the body.. used by the heart to fire the muscles, and Arginine. Buy them in bulk and take 1/4 tsp with Magnesium.

If you have a heart attack... they give you an IV of Magnesium ! So they know one of the causes !

Magnesium is hard to absorb and retain. A Fibromyalgia MD recommended making your own Magnesium Bicarbonate Water that is absorbed at 50% vs 5% of Mag Oxide pills !

1 Liter of Carbonated Soda Water + 3 Tablespoons of plain Milk of Magnesium.. shake and let settle.. reshake.. keep cold.. = 1,500 mg of Magnesium.. Drink 1/3 per day at least WITHOUT Food.. as it lowers your stomach HCL and digestion. I love this stuff.. On a hot day working outside I will drink 3/4 a bottle.

Epsom Salt is MAGNESIUM and soaking in a hot tub with 2+ cups for 35-40 minutes is like getting an IV of Magnesium.

Don't take Magnesium with Calcium ! It bonds it so it can not move the Calcium in your blood to your bones.. People really have a Vitamin K-2 deficiency, not a Calcium Deficiency.. it is required and works with Vit A, D3 to move Calcium to the bones..

Boron is a mineral and societies that consume 6-10 mg/day have almost no arthritis.. It helps KEEP calcium in the bones ! Borax Laundry Booster is Boron ! 1/4 Tsp in a quart of water.. and drink 5 tablespoons + a day of this mixture .. stops arthritis pain! Numerous articles online about this.. Try it..

Research the internet to avoid the Medical Profession.. all they are doing is milking your insurance companies.. They are not trying to cure you and know little about nutrition. They are not into prevention either ! Wise up.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:38 AM
I always liked ZMA or Magnesium Orotate. Helps keep the blood pressure down.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:09 AM

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I grow my own vegetables organicly. I use plenty of Azomite rock dust constantly in my gardening. It is 0.5 % MG.

Lol, are you a part of the measurable conspiracy or a victim with that 0,5%?
Dolomite lime is added to soils and soilless potting mixes as a pH buffer and as a truly rich magnesium source.
Cca 21% MgO to 30% CaO
Now find some plant which likes to suck in lots of Mg and Ca and eat it.
The Ph of the soil can go as high as 8 if you use too much of it so it is a good idea to use acidic sources of Nitrogen like coffee grounds to make the Mg available.

I think the cheapest direct supplementation source is red algae Lithothamnion calcareum. You can buy a kilo for 10 bucks. It has cca 30% of bioavailable magnesium and a lot of calcium. Not as good as eating a plant but always at hand.
Another deficiency element is sulfur. The soil is depleted of sulfur in most places. Again you can have a kilo of organic MSM for 7 bucks or so. Don't waste your money on milligram supplements.
edit on 1/4/2016 by PapagiorgioCZ because: some more content

edit on 1/4/2016 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:53 AM
a reply to: argentus

Thank you (and ALL the knowledgable ATS members who have posted here).

I have nothing to add but MUCH to learn (so I'm treating this as a bookmark to revisit this thread).

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:18 AM
When I turned forty two I realized that my health was declining in strange ways that I'd never anticipate. I have always been strangely healthy and athletic but my symptoms of extreme foot pain and stomach issues began to cycle from good to terrible at more rapid rates. I was lethargic and bloating at 6' and 195 lbs. The heaviest i've ever been.

My then girlfriend challenged me to change my diet. On trust of her knowledge alone I dropped sugar, wheat and corn from the diet and in 6 weeks dropped 20 pounds. I fealt amazing and still do. Here's my diet...

If it has sugar, high fructose corn syrup, " natural flavors" and any number of bs fda labels for these products I simply don't eat them. No more fast food, no more coookies at the office. Sadly no beer or whiskey.

What I can have is meat, fat from animals, good salts, all the veggies and olive oils I want. Honey in moderation, cream, butter, red wine, tequila, and fruits. I don't eat anything that comes in a bag or a box.

I miss caramel but the now wife makes an amazing version of fudge with no sugar that is too die for.

I've never felt better. Seriously, cut out wheat, all corn and all sugar as best you can. You will be amazed. I sleep better and feel amazing. I don't know what's in that stuff and it doesn't matter. I've proven to myself that they are poison. I wish more people would listen to me when I tell them about this very easy way to change your life.

I hope everyone here stays healthy for a very long time. Cheers.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:57 AM

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: argentus

Time will tell if the migraines again fade away....but I am confident.

You are getting very good at listening to your body.

Here's a suggestions since I have suffered and on occasion still get bad migraines. Within the past 2 years I have been doing light yoga, and have yet to see a migraine come back.

Light meaning 15 minutes in the morning and 15 at night. Heck I've even skipped a day or two when on vacation, but yoga has absolutely changed my physical and mental health.

Any of Rodney Yee's beginning DVD's are fantastic to follow. Amazon has some great reviews and good prices.

I can't stress enough how yoga has eliminated blinding migraines, heck sometimes I would even puke they were so bad. They are but a distant memory.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 10:47 AM
Thanks, great thread!

Just seen a new report that one in eight adults worldwide is obese- one source.

Some of the relation of the lack of magnesium and obesity;

Several studies have indicated that a low magnesium status in obesity is associated with chronic inflammation indicators, or with diseases with a chronic inflammation component. I

Diabetes Mellitus Linked to Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium has been found to regulate and improve blood sugar control, play a vital role in the secretion and function of insulin, is necessary for insulin to open cell membranes for glucose and helps the body digest, absorb, and utilize proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Those who are low on this mineral (a survey conducted by The Gallup Organization found that 72 percent of adult Americans fall short of the Recommended Dietary Allowance of magnesium), increase their risk of developing diabetes mellitus considerably.

Magnesium Deficiency Is Associated With Insulin Resistance in Obese Patients Magnesium and Obesity

One potential cause for lower serum magnesium in obese youth is low dietary magnesium intake.

Studies do show that the calorie-adjusted magnesium intake in obese children was lower compared with lean children. Hypomagnesemia (serum magnesium 0.78 mmol/l) was present in 27% of healthy lean children and 55% of obese children. The body does so by activating hundreds of enzymes in the body. Magnesium helps you get the most from what you eat so you can be satisfied with no more than the amount of food you genuinely need.

"Obesity induced magnesium deficiency can be treated by vitamin D supplementation"
See here

Some magnesium filled foods to check out depending on your dietary needs; Fish, Spinach,Dark Chocolate, Pumpkin seeds,Yogurt / Kefir, Almonds, Black Beans, Avocado, Figs, Bananas

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:01 AM
All I know is that getting sufficient magnesium and potassium is hard if you're on an oxalate restricted diet. I'm not supposed to eat oxalates, or sugars, or too much salt. So that cuts out nuts, leafy greens, etc. etc. etc. all kinds of stuff. That pretty much leaves avocados and bananas which, while they contain oxalates, are comparatively low. And those are very caloric and carby (and fatty in the case of avocados) foods. So that's kind of a tough balancing act.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:18 AM

Our body usually has about 1-2 ounces of magnesium in our teeth, brain, bones, heart, teeth and even in the blood. Every single cell in our body needs this mineral to work properly. Magnesium is responsible for over 300 metabolic processes! It’s a very crucial mineral for our health. According to the USDA, half the population is have magnesium deficiency. - See more at:

Vitamin B6 is a requirement for proper magnesium absorption and studies have shown up to double the amount of magnesium is absorbed when vitamin b6 is taken along with it. Read more:

Vitamin B6, zinc and magnesium all interact with each other in carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism and proper DNA synthesis.

The best and worst forms of magnesium to take as a supplement
edit on 1-4-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:23 AM

originally posted by: PerdidoBlue
Magnesium is mostly stored in the heart and brain.

Do you happen to have a link for this information? I could be wrong but from my understanding magnesium is mostly stored in bones and teeth.

Magnesium is an essential mineral for staying healthy and is required for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body and is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body. Over 60% of all the magnesium in the body is found in the skeleton, about 27% is found in muscle, 6% to 7% is found in other cells, and less than 1% is found outside of cells.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:30 AM

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

Our body usually has about 1-2 ounces of magnesium in our teeth, brain, bones, heart, teeth and even in the blood. Every single cell in our body needs this mineral to work properly. Magnesium is responsible for over 300 metabolic processes! It’s a very crucial mineral for our health. According to the USDA, half the population is have magnesium deficiency. - See more at:

Vitamin B6 is a requirement for proper magnesium absorption and studies have shown up to double the amount of magnesium is absorbed when vitamin b6 is taken along with it. Read more:

Vitamin B6, zinc and magnesium all interact with each other in carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism and proper DNA synthesis.

A good reason to take ZMA for your mag supplement, it's got zinc, mag and B6 in one happy capsule.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:39 AM
a reply to: Bedlam

I did notice that supplement during my search.
I also noticed having the correct ratio of the three is important. All three in one is a good idea to keep it simple.

edit on 1-4-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:42 AM
Easy solution, take ZMA before bed. It helps you sleep, and supports your body's ability to recover after exercise. It also helps optimize your testosterone levels as well.

Being magnesium deficient is nothing new to athletes who pay attention to what goes into their bodies.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:45 AM
a reply to: AceWombat04

ZMA is quite possibly one the cheapest supplements out there. I take the recommended dose of 3 caps before bed and sleep like a baby and recover from workouts faster.

Make sure to avoid calcium containing foods like milk, cheese ect an hour or two before you take ZMA. Calcium inhibits the body's ability to absorb the zinc/magnesium.

If you have to have a protein shake or something before bed, take the ZMA first, wait a half hour and then eat/drink whatever contains calcium.
edit on 1-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:22 PM
a reply to: Mrgone

Aren't you in depression from the low-carbo diet? Carbohydrates are crucial to serotonine synthesis. I have just recently found that eating food high in tryptophan (serotonine precursor) during the day is useless. Protein intake actually blocks serotonine synthesis. Protein seems to be ok only before sleep. It seems that it doesn't mess like this with melatonine and body is regenerating protein tissues during the sleep anyway.

Headaches: Be sure to check your Tyramine intake. It causes headaches and dangerous hypertension in combination with MAO inhibitors. Even the weak ones. I use to have terrible headaches from tyramine and maoi herbs (St. John's Wort, Tribulus, Coffee, Hordenine, Tobacco, and various herbal aphrodisiacs)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:55 PM

originally posted by: Peter Brake
reply to: argentus

Thanks for the article, know the symptoms well. Trying to get enough high mag foods in my diet hasn't worked. Have got 5 different forms of mag supplements - do some research folks Biomag works good but there's some tricky stuff on ions.

I agree there is a problem, another solution would be appreciated - I feel like I'm a drug dependant.

epsom salts are full of magnesium...throw a handfull in the tub, your body will absorb some while you soak
edit on 1-4-2016 by research100 because: dang spelling

<< 1    3  4  5 >>