It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me find Elmore, Texas.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Oh, I see! So sorry, I didn't understand. Ty again! You're right, it did say that. I'm so sorry I didn't think it through. And I'm grateful that you did. Is the best location to look and you picked it spot on. Thanks!

a reply to: CoBaZ

That would be awesome.
If you have the time to spare. Even if it isn't Elmore, still interesting to see all those old places and explore them.

Thanks again,
blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Here is an old map with Elmore on it. Hope this gives you a vague idea of where it is. I'll post more if I find something else.

www.livgenmi.com...

Sal

a reply to: blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well, there certainly are a lot of "Elmore thangs" in SE Texas, at least according to googlemaps.

Excellent mystery and intrigue
I'll try searching incorporated townships and report back if I find anything.

ETA: I found this which indicates the town of Elmore no longer exists. I wanted to look for more, but an annoying no-click-out popup prevented me from going forward.
edit on 31/3/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

ETA AGAIN: Also found this, which indicates:

ELMORE, TEXAS

Elmore was established as a post office in extreme northwestern Hall County on May 4, 1891, with Andrew J. Jasper as postmaster.

This office was discontinued on August 31, 1898, and mail sent to Clarendon in Donley County after the community failed to develop.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Inez Baker, Yesterday in Hall County (Memphis, Texas, 1940). Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960).

H. Allen Anderson

edit on 31/3/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

Omg! Ty! I was about to give up! You are so very helpful!

I've also been researching the sources listed from the main article on the page. There was a AWOL Bikers magazine that did have a state of the nation section in it.. the vol 7 No 8 was printed . .. here is the magazine online for sale..

No luck on the picture or plane yet..every time I search L110-37 the first hit that shows up is the Cuban missile crisis, which I don't believe any of this has to do with that..lol

Have a PM out to Zaphod to see if he can shed any light on the plane..

Thanks to everyone who helped out..

Ats members are rare and beautiful people..I truly appreciate you!

Thanks!
blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Ty for taking the time to look.. Got a response from Zaphod about the plane.. just gonna cut and paste it here..sounds like the story is not true, or someone got their planes really mixed up when telling the tale..

Zaphod : Yeah, no. There are a couple MAJOR holes there.

Article: So what happened to Elmore, Texas? Metman pored over pictures of both civilian and military aircraft with no success, until he was shown a picture in a book on experimental aircraft. The plane he believes he saw was simply designated the JA37. The only known picture of the JA37shows an opening just below the forward wing which is almost certainly an intake for a jet engine. Metman is also convinced that he heard the airplane crash. The strange plane and the disappearance of Elmore are too much of a coincidence not to be interconnected.

Zaphod: The only known picture? There are hundreds, if not thousands of pictures of the JA-37. There were 329 of them built.

Article: On 27th August 1954 Elmore, Texas, was a sleepy little town a mile off the interstate, whose town sign recorded the population as 327 persons. On 29th August 1954 Elmore, Texas, ceased to exist.

Zaphod: The JA-37 program started in 1952, but that was the design stage. The first prototype didn't fly until 1967, and it entered service in 1971.

So, it looks like this part is at least not true. Which may make the whole thing not true. Gotta get to bed, but thanks to all for looking! Will continue to look more a bit tomorrow evening.

blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Love this kind of thread

That picture in the OP looks like Bodie California? What is the picture of?

I think contact the post service if you can find the the old town line coordinates through them. It would be in the state archives.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

That's a really good angle, zazzy. I was on contract to the USPS long ago, and I know they keep records on everything, including the wee post office in Kyburz, CA, which at the time, was in a grocery store, a short distance from a sign which read, "welcome to Kyburz, Now leaving Kyburz". Wonderful place. I could have lived there if they'd let me.

USPS records. There would be -- even in the 1800's a lease or ownership agreement with a plot and parcel number.

Goodonya!

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Brilliant that puts Elmore around the spot I found, my spot is probably a little further north of that location but it's fairly close.

I've enjoyed this thread and trying to find a lost town!

Doubt we'll be able to find a true location from google maps images alone as there's a tonne of farm land in that area so it's possible the exact location won't be visible due to land being farmed so heavily

Here's google maps image of Hall County itself

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Thanks. It is always fun looking for things and seeing what everyone comes up with. Here is one more map from a book of Texas Post Offices. Will the Real Elmore please stand up?

Sal

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Oh Brilliant

Now over layed with google maps we know the location

Somewhere in this location
edit on 1/4/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

You guys are awesome! Ty so much! I added it to my map...hopefully the right town..two of them there. But for some reason I liked the one next to Mulberry Creek ..

Thanks to everyone who searched.. really was very nice of all of you to put in the time.

blend57

Oh..my map in case you care to look and see if I placed the peg right..

Thanks again...

<< 1   >>

join