It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me find Elmore, Texas.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The town of Elmore, Texas is missing... has been since August 1954. It is shrouded in some mystery and I find it interesting. I don't know if the story is real, but I know that the town existed, and now doesn't.

It was a town that established a post office in 1891. But, overnight, it disappeared. And there is no record really of its exact location. I've been searching for about half an hour now, trying to find some info on it. Nothing really comes up. (even searched through ATS)

The only info I have come across is this one post page that talks about it, and the post office records of it being real.

The thing that peaked my interest was this excerpt:

So what happened to Elmore, Texas? Metman pored over pictures of both civilian and military aircraft with no success, until he was shown a picture in a book on experimental aircraft. The plane he believes he saw was simply designated the JA37. The only known picture of the JA37 shows an opening just below the forward wing which is almost certainly an intake for a jet engine. Metman is also convinced that he heard the airplane crash. The strange plane and the disappearance of Elmore are too much of a coincidence not to be interconnected. One school of thought believes that the jet may have been involved in secret weapons testing, and crashed after getting lost in the weather. Another theory suggests that there was a military target, built to resemble a town, and in the bad weather, the jet's crew mistook Elmore for the practice target, either crashing or dropping a bomb on the town. There is another more sinister theory, that the jet crashed, and due to its sensitive top secret nature the town was erased to keep secret any potentially damaging information. The town and its residents may not have been destroyed by the crash, but may have been mass witnesses to the plane and its crash. Unwanted witnesses. Silent witnesses?

One thing I noticed is the years of having a post office was from 1891 - 1898 and the thread post tells of the missing town incident happening in 1954. But that could be just because the town was too small (354 people) to support the post office. Who knows?

Anyhow, if anyone has any info on this town, or can find it's exact location, I would appreciate some help..either way.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

"ELMORE, TEXAS. Elmore was established as a post office in extreme northwestern Hall County on May 4, 1891, with Andrew J. Jasper as postmaster. This office was discontinued on August 31, 1898, and mail sent to Clarendon in Donley County after the community failed to develop."

My guess start looking in the counties mentioned.

tshaonline.org...
edit on 31-3-2016 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Hurricane Alice, 1954, perhaps?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

I have and I did..thus the reason I posted the same link you just did in my OP. But I will try again, maybe I'm just searching wrong..thank you.

a reply to: swanne

I was thinking the same thing. Because of this excerpt from the link above:

On 27th August 1954 unusually heavy rains swept Texas, and the interstate was closed fifteen miles east and seven miles west of the town. But, when the highway reopened on 29th August, drivers found that there was no longer an exit to Elmore, and that the town signs had vanished. All that lay in the place of the town buildings was a wasteland, acres of drying clay and mud.

It was the other stuff that made me wonder..the stuff I originally quoted in the OP. And then when i couldn't find any reference, it got me a bit more interested..lol

Thanks for the suggestions..I will keep searching...

blend57
edit on 31-3-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Are you in Texas? This is probably more easily solved on the ground, in an old records hall, or library than on the Internet.

Go to the Donley County record keepers, and ask for maps from that time period. Go to the location of Elmore, Texas and take a long look around. If the town was primarily wooden structures, anything could have happened between then and now; fire, rot, pilfering, etc. could all cause the town to disintegrate without much of a trace.

You would likely need to excavate any suspected land to find any artifacts that might be left.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I have a sudden desire to visit Texas.

Just think of the story that it would tell if you found it!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You're not the only one looking for it

Could this be it ?

The markings in the ground look town like

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I wish we could get some of the pictures they talk about in that article. the aircraft they mention, the JA37, I can't find any sort of reference to it at all, other than the "Spriggan" which is made by Saab in the 60's and most likely wouldn't have been involved in secret testing in America at the time.

They also mention declassified photos, one of them being identified as the main street of this town, but no picture...

Definitely interesting though.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Oh, wow..ty so very much. But they say that they don't have the map coordinates so they are using the map for Hall county..so, no i do not think that is it.

But it's great to know I am not alone on my quest! ty! and ty for taking the time to search..it is your time, and I do appreciate it.

a reply to: Atsbhct

I don't live in Texas. I am just doing a google map of vanishing/abandoned towns and came across this one. You're right, it would be a lot easier if I just lived there.

a reply to: DBCowboy

Too true! But, the story behind it..that is what interests me the most. Probably made up, but still..a good tale to tell. very creative.

Thanks for the help and thoughts. I appreciate them!

blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm leaning towards this story being entirely fabricated. There are enough distances, directions, and names involved to pinpoint almost exactly where it would be, but nothing can be corroborated. I can't find the aircraft mentioned, the town of Elsmere doesn't seem to exist anywhere in Texas, and the town of Purim mentioned in the article doesn't seem to exist.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

I thought maybe..but here is something I just found..the town was there..this is weird..lol..

Elmore Almanac

Population, Other Information

There is no population data.
Incorporation

Elmore is not incorporated.
Status

Our records indicate that the town of Elmore no longer exists.

So, it did exist..but no longer does. where did all the people go? lol..still intrigues me..

Edit to add I did a search for Felix, Texas..which is the other known name..and it also shows the same info..

Felix, Texas

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Looking at Estelline, Texas. Between that and Memphis, TX. Is the Prairie Dog Town Red River. Giving the info given by the links provided. And if true. I would suspect that river flooding with Elmore near it. The bridge (looking at Google maps) has a good distance to cross over the river.

I never heard of the story. And not familiar with that wide river basin. Seems to look like a small Creek in it. But you can clearly see it gets flooded at some points over the years.

I've been searching for info since the thread started. I'm only getting the same links. SorryπŸ˜•

I searched the Census too. No luck.
edit on 31-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

No..ty for taking the time. As I said before to Discotech, it is your time and I do appreciate it. It is helpful to know that I am not the only one who can't find it, as well as I've been given some links that I haven't gotten before. And some ideas for searching.

Strange that there is no one who knows, no trace except the post office info and the Almanac. Makes me want to believe there is something to this tale..lol

I'll keep looking..and thanks to everyone who took the time. I really do appreciate it.

blend57

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Holy Crap you may have just stumbled onto something big! What happened in Elmore?! If that is it and that looks exactly like a small Texas Town that is only remains of streets. If you look closely there are Big Craters on the corners of the lots where the structures would have been. There is also an area that is pock marked as if it was straffed by an aircraft. There are tons of little old military bases all over Texas so it could be a targeting range of some sort I guess but that will require some digging for info that should be easily available, I will update the thread if I find anything. If not something is rotten in Elmore. I have seen many impact craters and that place looks like it was decimated! Great find! I gotta get to the bottom of this now!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

If there was a plane crash or other incident of a sort. It could have come from Childress AAF at the time or Amarillo AAF. I'd ask Zaphod58 about that. Couldn't hurt.😊

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Ok.. I clicked the wrong one. Yes there is an old town or village of a sort NE of Discotech's pin point. πŸ‘

Edit. Down to street view.. buildings and silo with metal decking side panals. Does that fit the time frame?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Yep I put the mark in the middle because just to the West there's a strange Circle in the ground too which I thought was interesting but have no idea what it may be.

There's a quite a few dams in the area, so it could be the townsfolk simply had to move because the water supply dried up thanks to the dam stopping the rivers ?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

I dunno..searching for the declassified government pic right now...the L110-37 ..no luck as of yet..although they could've changed the pics name/label..that post I linked was from the year 2000.

I think that town is something different. From the link Discotech gave they said they were using the map for Hall county, which I am assuming is where they believe the town once was..hopefully. But they say they have no idea of its exact location..so..still don't know where it is/was.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I service cotton gins in the area around silverton, turkey creek, up to childress and paducah, I am always trying out different back roads around the area to find short cuts between the cotton gins. I seen many a burned out building and left overs of wooden structures around the area... The biggest though is near county road 20 and county road X.

then a little further down from there you got the Cookie Ranch which was suppose to have been built around the 50's with the guy buying out an unincorporated area near county road 22 and x.

If you go a bit further north on 20 instead of X you find the ruins of the old ring church. If the town was created in the 1800's then a church would pretty much the center of town...

Maybe those leads would help you in your search... Now I know it may be time to dig around that area after I get done with some gins in that area next season...

CoBaZ

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Well the location I was searching, I searched for a reason because your link about the post office states

Elmore was established as a post office in extreme northwestern Hall County

Where I put the google image link it fits perfectly in the extreme north west of hall county (you can google map hall county and shows you the whole county boundaries in a red square)

Now I'm not saying those ground markings are the location of Elmore but it certainly raises questions around what exactly they are and if they're related to Elmore

top topics

<<   2 >>

join