It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter reported at Va. Greyhound bus station

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Police and ambulances rushed to a Greyhound bus station in Richmond, Va. Thursday after reports of an active shooter, according to local media.

Paramedics rushed at least four people to a nearby hospital, WRIC reports. It was unclear whether the shooter was among them.

A trooper may be among the wounded

Active shooter reported at Va. Greyhound bus station

Not much information to be had on this yet, but it seems there's a shooting going on in Richmond.

The police are involved already so hopefully it's already over.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

They have the shooter in custody.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Thank God. Old Shep at Fox News wasn't reporting much when I had to turn it off.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Other reports say suspect may be dead.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Multiple sources told WTVR CBS 6 reporter Jon Burkett that Virginia State Police were at the bus station for a training exercise when gunfire erupted.

The troopers were already there. The suspect is dead. One Virginia State trooper sustained life-threatening injuries according to a local news station.

I sure hope he recovers.
edit on 3/31/2016 by Olivine because: screwed up 1st attempt

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Two troopers down, one civilian, and the shooter.

Press conference being planned.

ETA - Daily Mail (yea I know, they tend to get actual breaking news right though) says six total shot, shooter is dead, one trooper is dead, another is wounded, rest are civilians.
edit on 31-3-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Seems like a police training exercise would be the dumbest place to try this. Hoping an officer didn't accidentally fire and start a S#!@ show.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
NY Times is reporting that the subject walked up to one trooper and shot him in the chest at point blank range, the second trooper then exchanged shots with the shooter and both were hit, as well as civilians.

Reading everything from shooter in custody and three people shot to shooter and trooper dead, four others including a trooper shot. Hopefully they can get the info straightened out. Either way, the bus terminal is closed and the shooting is over.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm just hearing trooper and gunman dead, others wounded.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Someone being shot in Richmond is not out of the ordinary at all. The fact that they point blank fired at an officer is new, though.

edit on 31-3-2016 by saintdopeium because: im dumb

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The link in my OP has updated the story a little. Up to 6 people wounded now.

"The first thing we saw were police cars flying by, then officers in riot gear running with weapons," Vincent Smith, an employee at a nearby U-Haul storage facility, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Other witnesses reported hearing as many as 10 shots.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Police spokesman has said: one trooper has life threatening injuries, shooter is dead. Two civilians shot with non life threatening injuries.

ETA - the earlier statement that two officers were down was retracted. Police state a total of four people shot, not six.
edit on 31-3-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

That is absolutely awful.

No doubt the shooters home will be raided, family interviewed by the police. A manifesto will probably be located, either that or prescriptions for anti-psychotics or some such.

The irony of the timing cannot be lost on the officers who survived this incident. I wonder, will any lessons be learned by this, or will officers still wander hither and thither without bullet resistant vests on? In any case, such a callous, cowardly attack as this can only have consequences most tragic. I will offer prayers for the dead, because that is all that can be done now.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm watching the news conference right now, they announced that the trooper Chad Dermyer, 37, former Marine, has passed away. Not releasing identity of shooter until next of kin notified. Officer was wearing a fatigue uniform, but no vest. I believe they said he leaves behind a wife and two children.

My husband and I were about a mile away, toward the other end of Boulevard when this happened today, but never heard a thing. We later saw the blocked roads...very sad time here

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MnorthVA

That is very sad to hear. I guess we should be glad more people weren't hurt and pray for all those involved.

I wish we could figure out what makes these people tick in an effort to prevent these shootings.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Notification of kin?

What a load...cop killers are not entitiled to such courtesies.

If they have not contacted next of kin in 7 hours, they are not trying very hard or there is no kin to contact.

There is something else going on here.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Notification of kin?

If they have not contacted next of kin in 7 hours, they are not trying very hard or there is no kin to contact.

Maybe checking him with the FBI?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Notification of kin?

Maybe checking him with the FBI?

Wiping his Facebook page and finding friends to say he was a good mam. R.I.P. Troops Chad.
Link

Virginia State Police Superintendent W. Steven Flaherty said Thursday night that a state trooper shot by a man at Richmond's Greyhound bus station has died from his wounds.
Flaherty said Trooper Chad Dermyer, 37, was a Marine Corps veteran and native of Jackson, Mich., who graduated from the state police academy in 2014 and had been transferred to a counter-terrorism and criminal interdiction unit after serving on patrol in the Newport News and Hampton areas.
Dermyer, a former Newport News police officer, is married with two children, state police said.
Dermyer was in a criminal interdiction training at the bus station when he approached the man and was shot multiple times, Flaherty told reporters at an evening briefing.

And

Flaherty said Dermyer and the suspect had only been talking moments before the suspect drew a firearm about 2:45 p.m. The suspect was then fatally shot by two other state troopers.
"Why he reacted, why he had a gun in his waistband, we don't know," Flaherty said.
The suspect has a history of criminal charges but Flaherty said authorities had not yet determined how many resulted in convictions. He was not immediately identified, pending notification of family.
now release his name and photo!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Damn. I've traveled through that bus station several times. Really isnt a nice place.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Local reporters have released the name of the suspect and were easily able to find his next of kin for comment.

I have the sneaking suspicion DOJ CRS "community relations" division is responsible for withholding and delaying the identification of this cop killer.

It seems like this dirtbag should have been locked up already.

An official source identified the shooter as 34-year-old James Brown III of Aurora, Illinois.

CBS 6 found a James Brown III., an African-American with a long criminal history in Aurora, whose date of birth matches up with the information from our source. Brown is well known to police there.

We talked to his aunt in Aurora, Edith Brown, who had helped raise Brown and had allowed him to stay with her until December, when she says she told him he had to leave.

She said, "He always liked the criminal side."

She was upset about what happened, but not surprised.

"He had a lot of anger about the police in the past," she said. "He pretty much thought he wanted to be infamous . . . in terms of having a showdown. He always praised those people who got into shootouts with police."

Court records show James Brown III had been charged with murder, intent to kill, aggravated battery with a firearm, failure to obey police, resisting a corrections officer, aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, aggravated battery of an unborn child, numerous drug charges, intimidation, domestic battery, felony possession of a weapon, among many driving charges.

wtvr.com...

edit on 1-4-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join