It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF's long-life A-10 force gets smarter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Great news for all you Warthog fans (I know there are a few) - from Janes.com (defence update email

In late January 2005, the first Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka 'Warthog') to be upgraded by Lockheed Martin Systems Integration (LMSI) under Spiral 1 of the Precision Engagement (PE) programme - understood to be designated A-10C by the US Air Force (USAF) - was due to make its first flight from the USAF's Developmental Test facility at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.

Does anyone have any further details on this?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
WHOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

I love the Warthhog...!!! Long Live the A-10!!

Let me check on some reputable sites about this...

www.globalsecurity.org...

Best site I found about this...

[edit on 12/1/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Yeah, it just means its going to carry smart bombs now... Probably better ECM capabilities too. It's about time they carry this out as I have been hearing about it since early last year.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
Yeah, it just means its going to carry smart bombs now... Probably better ECM capabilities too. It's about time they carry this out as I have been hearing about it since early last year.

What are you talking about? The A-10 has been carrying smart bombs since the Pave Penny designator was added.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

What are you talking about? The A-10 has been carrying smart bombs since the Pave Penny designator was added.

Eye! That was the name of the pod I was thinking about a while back.
The new upgrade I read was supposed to give the A-10 the ability to carry a certain type of weapon... Was it standoff?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The new upgrade I read was supposed to give the A-10 the ability to carry a certain type of weapon... Was it standoff?

I think so. I want to say that they are working on refitting the aircraft to be able to use GPS munitions.

Aren't you in training to fly the F-16s?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Best flying tank in the world just got better.

I actaully use them in a local game of "Nations" while I run the polynesian Islands. Since Islands dont have much use for a MBT I use the Hog as a substitute

And the are part of the Army Order of Battle

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Best tanks in the sky:

1. A-10A Thunderbolt II
2. Su-39 Frogfoot-D
3. Su-25 Frogfoot
4. Mi-24P Hind F
5. AC-130U Spooky

IMHO ofcourse

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

I think so. I want to say that they are working on refitting the aircraft to be able to use GPS munitions.

Aren't you in training to fly the F-16s?

Nah, I'm not training for the Viper yet. Where did you hear it?
I hope to in the next two years though...

Best tanks in the sky:

1. A-10A Thunderbolt II
2. Su-39 Frogfoot-D
3. Su-25 Frogfoot
4. Mi-24P Hind F
5. AC-130U Spooky

Cool list! If I made it though i'd put the Spooky/Specture gunship as #1.

Dig the weapons...
two M61 20mm Vulcan cannons
with 3,000 rounds
one L60 40mm Bofors cannon
with 256 rounds
one M102 105mm howitzer
with 100 rounds One 25mm GAU-12 Gatling gun
(1,800 rounds per minute)
one L60 40mm Bofors cannon
(100 shots per minute)
one M102 105mm cannon
(6-10 rounds per minute)

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Im a A-10 fan you have to love a plane that was designed around its gun. And what a gun that is 20ft long with foot long bullets capable of firing 6000 rounds per minute. I also have to respect it for the amount of punishment they can take and still make it home.

There is still some fighting left in that tank killer

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
True, there's nothing more tough then a Hawg...

These are from GW2.

So close to vital lines!

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My favorite flying tanks: (not by power)
1. A-10 Thunderbolt II
2. C-130 Spooky Gunship
3. Su-39,upgraded Su-25
4. Su-25
5. Ka-50
6. AH-64D Longbow Apache
7. MiL-28 Hind

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Popeye
Great news for all you Warthog fans (I know there are a few) - from Janes.com (defence update email

But it doesn't change the fact that the A-10s are already too old to be used. If F-14, which is better, should head to junk pile at the steel mill, so A-10 should.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
My favorite flying tanks: (not by power)
1. A-10 Thunderbolt II
2. C-130 Spooky Gunship
3. Su-39,upgraded Su-25
4. Su-25
5. Ka-50
6. AH-64D Longbow Apache
7. MiL-28 Hind

The AH-64D is superior to the Ka-50, in fact the Ka-50 had so many problems they had to make the Ka-52. Even the Ka-52 doesn't come close to the Apache in terms of radar and weapon systems.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
That's not true, even the Guiness book of world records recognizes the KA-52 as the most lethal helicopter in the world. There's nothing better than it in terms of armament as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i think thats pretty gay. why would they spend more money on smart bombs for a plane thats made for ground support? why dont they just use stealth fighters, b-52's, b-2's, tomcats, and things like that. i just think the warthog was made for ground support with its gattling cannon and rockets. leave all that smart stuff to the other planes. if anyone has something to say about my post, please send me a U2U.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX

Originally posted by Popeye

But it doesn't change the fact that the A-10s are already too old to be used. If F-14, which is better, should head to junk pile at the steel mill, so A-10 should.

Are you sure about that? I don’t think its economical to spend thousands an hour to keep a fast mover up that can only realistically take out ~half the targets sloppily, easily risk himself being shot down, and can only make a few quick passes before he hears bingo.
There is nothing to replace the A-10 so as long as that cheap flying tank that more then gets the job done has not a replacement then it is needed in service,

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The ultimate replacement for the A-10 will probably be a stealth UCAV, nothing else makes sense so until such tech is ready for service the A-10 is irreplaceable.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The warthog and the su25 were great planes when originally designed but I think things have evolved. The continuing improvements in small SAMs make the original concept increasingly risky.
If there are no SAMs or heavy AA, then fine, linger around and pick your targets but many aircraft could work under those conditions. Therefore, giving the Warthog additional stand off weaponry and thus flexibility for more kinds of interdiction and strike missions seems reasonable if you want to continue to use them.

new topics

top topics

join