It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outlander

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I just binged on that series this week. There is only one season so far, the second is about to start in a few days.

I hadn't heard about this from anyone else- have any of you watched it? Any other fans on ATS?
It's something like a Harlequin romance novel, which I don't like to read.... but perhaps I am just a typical woman who is more visual?
I had a lot of fun with it, though the voice in my head remains a scottish brogue still.

I do not like the male lead/love interest- he's just too young looking and it seems they chose him to appeal to the pre-teens and gays, but I found Dougal Mackenzie (played by Graham McTavish) so gorgeous he'll probably fuel my daydreams for years...

My family is originally from Scotland, and I grew up dreaming of it, spurred by my fathers interest in the clan history and castle; he used to bring me to the scottish games in Los Angeles each year, and I'd learn to dance, and play games with other kids that would get slightly violent and usually very muddy. Great fun...
So this show brought up my childhood fantasies, and got us talking again about visiting Scotland- might go in a few weeks in fact!

The new season is supposed to take part in France! So that should be interesting too.

From an educational point of view, I like shows or movies which, despite their fictional character, provoke one to go looking up historical fact and learn more about the context of the story.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Did you know that the male and female leads are actually lovers in real life? I read the books and did not see the male lead as believable in the role of Jaimie. But he does get better as time moves on.
Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Did you know that the male and female leads are actually lovers in real life? I read the books and did not see the male lead as believable in the role of Jaimie. But he does get better as time moves on.
Tired of Control Freaks

I was wondering about that... because some of those scenes are so steamy, I was wondering how actors can do that and NOT end up getting involved??

I admit that with time, he gets a bit more interesting.... but I didn't read the book.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

"Aye, You tell Me Sassenach, You're the one from the future... "

Starz™ will be playing Season 1 this weekend and then the new season begins the 9th. My Wife even has a costume and just got some autographed picture from cast & crew from Scotland. She also drinks Her Scotch out of Edinburgh crystal..

This is the authors site so You may be able to get some more info from it..

www.dianagabaldon.com...

Enjoy the show.

namaste

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Thanks for that! I see there are actually many books in the series! Hopefully that means many seasons!

My husband has a kilt that he had specially made from my clans tartan, I'll have to get him to take that out again.... Though I really would like to have a costume of my own too!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I've read the books and am enjoying the show too.

I didn't find the books to be too "Harlequin-y", although they did drip with the stuff once in a while (I hate romance novels)... but the entire premise of the books and storyline (history, time travel) is what kept me reading. What makes the books even more fun to read is that they're written with a Scottish dialect per se.

But then again (for what it's worth), I have a thing for Scotsmen anyways... there's just something about a man in a kilt that melts my butter.

*meow*

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I think the main reason I enjoy the series is because I read all the books and loved them. They are still the primary book series that I re-read from year to year. The series is fairly true to the books.

Initially, I didn't think that Sam Heughan was big enough to play Jamie, however he pulls it off remarkably for me. He really captures the spirit of Jamie. The rest of the characters really shine also. AND! I really like the music of the series. It's well-crafted and ethereal and almost evokes cellular memories (at least for me) of a time long past. Bear McCreary really rocks, and has been the musical anchor for many series and works, like 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons, Europa Report, Defiance, Caprica, The Forest, The Boy, etc.

I think the series really captures the steaminess of the books without being thrust into the 'bodice buster' gentre. There is action, blood, drama, and an overwhelming sense of watching history unfold.

When I heard that there was going to be an Outlander series, I said to myself, "Oh Hell NO!! How can they possibly ever do it justice??" Well, in my very very humble opinion, they pulled it off beautifully.

It may be the only thing on TV, including sporting events, that I watch completely without other distractions, and that's saying a lot for me. I love it.

Listen to Bear's music above. It's evocative. It might call you.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: argentus

The music is playing in my head 24-7 since I did my week long binge; it is actually becoming a bit of a pain. As much as I like it, I catch myself singing it in public and such. I'm in France. People don't sing in public, much less in english!

Without asking for too much in the way of spoilers, does Claire ever get successful at going back to her own time? if even temporarily?
(obviously I wouldn't bother if I was her, a scottish accent and a kilt is enough to keep me like butter indefinately... but just out of curiosity)

Wow! Thanks for that link!!! All his music is fantastic!!!!

edit on 1-4-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

This is a serious thing for me, because I so love the books. I really pondered this for a while. Yes, she goes back. And then back again. it's really about love across time.

Hey, sing it. Sing it like you're alone. And Dance. And fight to protect your own, the way God intended it. That's what the books are about.
)

ETA: ............. and hide dirk on your person, because that's the way Jamie would want it.
edit on 1/4/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join