It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troubled and confused by 'friends' reactions to 9/11

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Like most I was shocked and saddened when 9/11 happened. I was playing with my 3 year old daughter and while searching for Treehouse discovered all channels tuned live to New York. Horrible, still to this day tear up thinking about that time.

Anyway, have a lot of Middle eastern friends, including some Greeks as well. These are not casual relationships. We've all known each other for years through various not so legal dealings so there is a lot of trust, free to vent and say things that normally you wouldn't put out there, which is where I was shocked one day on 9/11.

All of them, some Iranian, Leb's, Syrians and couple Greeks, all born elsewhere and at some point immigrated here to Canada said the same thing when in private, 'f##k America' or 'looks good on them'. Not one was upset in any way shape or form.

This can't only be immigrants that I know because we're all a little shady, how far does this go? I've seen my friends talk with the average joe about 9/11 and it's like the rest of us, terrible just terrible, can't believe this happend, oh my god!! But behind the scenes their thinking, 'fcuk 'em!'

So what happened to these guys and yes a few gals. Their not bums, their all walks of life right up to business owners with wives and kids. So what do you guys think about this? It certainly surprised me. Do you think most foreigners think this deep down?

I just wanted to add that their mostly honest canadian citizens and would never consider a terrorist act, I'm just confused by how after immigrating here and having a good life in this country why all this hatred to America, I was just floored when they spoke out like they did, thought I knew them more than I did

edit on 31-3-2016 by tayton because: To be more clear in my question to members

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I ran into similar reactions when some of my friends with extended family in Europe and the ME. I got the impression it was viewed as the US getting knocked down a few pegs, as well as a justified reaction to America's meddling presence overseas. There are many that view the US as being great, and can't fathom the concept that opinion isn't shared by the rest of the world.

I remember that awful day, and was stunned to see videos of people in the ME dancing in the streets in celebration. I shouldn't have been surprised, but on a base level, couldn't comprehend the celebration of the deaths of so many.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Na, probably just weird, like most foreigners.

The 90210 syndrome , I call it.

You can blame it on Hollyweird's twisted portrayal of the pie.

Tell those weirdos to drop down to Florida, we can go spearfishing, grill it up, then jetski up to the tiki bars and meet some ladies.
edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: sp

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Meh friend talk is friend talk. If you cant let your extremisms out on your friends youll never know how silly you sound.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Well, I would not be surprised. Other countries have been the targets of terrorism with the tragic loss of lives for many years. In fact,many of the terrorist acts carried out in other countries had Americas indirect involvement, others maybe not so indirect. This, I am sure, could create a real dislike for America. 9/11 could be viewed as a "you deserved it" event. Don't forget other countries know more about our governments dirty deeds than we do. Most Americans believe the lies told on the 6 o'clock news and they always justify things to look like we are the saviors of democracy. Thing is America is not a democracy but a Republic and we need to keep our military terrorist out of other peoples countries. Then maybe we could start getting respect again.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Tell those weirdos to drop down to Florida, we can go spearfishing, grill it up, then jetski up to the tiki bars and meet some ladies.

I will gladly wear the weirdo label for this ...where do i sign up

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton

People outside of the U.S. hate America and think we deserve to get blown up. It isn't a surprising reaction especially by these 'peaceful' immigrants you describe.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Your friends have been successfully divided and conquered, which is indeed troubling.

I get the "# these bastards" mindset, which does seem legit under a certain angle. But it's not legit.

No Cheneys died there, lists of the dead are available online from multiple sources and there isn't one Cheney, it's NYC, so you get Callahans, Caglieris and Cohens mostly.

Just like the countless thousands of dead in Syria don't have a lot of Assads: just the peasants die, even the ones with nice suits. Because it's easier. It's wrong, too.

The day where the lying SOPA writing patriot act signing bloodthirsty heads of television and agent orange are set on pikes at the city gates, I'll partake in the "those # #ing #s had it coming" over a beer.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

You have to realist that Americans are not liked anywhere in the world accept in Australia. The reasons are to with the American 'might is right' approach to the world, "Americans tend not to give a stuff about anyone's culture other than their own and they have and show no respect to the social, religious or cultural differences and sensitivities of other countries.

Back in the 1970's I went to Bangkok in Thailand and luckily for me I run into another bloke from Australia who told me to always make it known to the locals that I am Australian and not American as they might kill me if they thought I was American.

Americans have not changed to this day. To all intends and purposes, when it comes to this kind of thing, Canadians are Americans, like it or not. The facts don't count, perception is truth.

Don't expect Americans to like this message and if you don't, be big enough to attack the thought not the thinker.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Don't expect Americans to like this message and if you don't, be big enough to attack the thought not the thinker.

Not this American. I don't really care, frankly, because I know it's not true. This "hatred of Americans" is largely overblown. Why? Couldn't tell ya.

Hate our policies? Yep. So do I, in many cases. Hate me, as an American? Some do. Obviously. Most, however, don't. Even if it was "most", I'm not going to change who I am for the approval of some outsider. Love me or hate me, I'll manage.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Nah, that's not it I guess. Everyday something horrible happens. I'm not a US citizen and no I don't hate you, why would I? I don't know you all.

For me it is simple, Americans are not anymore special then everyone else. And it is my dumbass view that people who died on 9/11 are not more special then any other human that has been ripped out of life by another human. Most of them don't get the attention that is given to any of a terroristic attack in the western world or where westerners are involved. Why should I care more or less then anyone other then the ones I know personally? Just because of where they live geographically?

So if someone overexcited starts to talk about 9/11 and I give a "Meh" reaction I get called an USA-hater. It always reminds me of that clown. "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists" I think his name was Bush or so.

I don't hate people. I think it is a waste of time and energy to spend my time on that stuff. But if I would hate, I would hate people that label me without knowing me. Like those terrorist that call me an infidel because of where I live, but they haven't spoken a word with me. Or those Americans, that call me an USA hater because I don't believe in the greatness of their, or any country, but judge me without a decent conversation. If I would be narrow minded and judge them both without knowing them or at least had a personal conversation with them I would consider them both utterly ignorant. But I do not care to judge them, I prefer not to waste time on that because there are so many people where I don't need to take the time to understand their motivations and backgrounds, where I don't need to climb over walls to see their side, where I don't need to prove myself who I am.

But I got to admit, it was a long and tough road to get there. That I don't hate doesn't mean I'm an all loving hippy. Not at all. I just taught myself to direct my focus and energy on the things I love and like which are sparse and few, but good. I was just fed up with all the drama and annoyances and disconnected myself from that to the point they've become meaningless for me. I grant everyone his own drama's though, whatever floats your boat and I always hope for everyone who is sprouting their drama it will give them at the end of the day a sense of fulfilment.

But who I am to say, I am just a regular Dumbass and have no clue what y'all taking about.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

have a lot of Middle eastern friends, including some Greeks as well.

Sorry but reading through this i cannot help but think you think that Greece is part of the ME.

you go on to say...

All of them, some Iranian, Leb's, Syrians and couple Greeks,

Which again sounds like you are saying Greece is part of the ME.

Sorry I just found it difficult to get past that.

But to get more on topic, sure some individuals form all over the world are going to have some views you find troubling, does not matter if they are from America or Europe or the ME. To me it would be pretty darn stupid to be to believe that because you know a couple of people from one part of the world who all shear the same view that therefore all people from that part of the world might have the same view.

So the simple answer is no.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DVXZ11

Seriously?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Great post Dumbass (lol, using your username makes my comment sound sarcastic, but it's not meant to be!) I totally agree with your sentiment, and wish more people would settle down and look at things more sanely like this.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
To. Othersideofthecoin!

No. I do not think Greeks are from Middle East, lol, was just saying how EVEN Greeks I know think same too!

Thanks for the replies guys! You know it's not specifically about 9/11 it was just how they could see this happening and just blow it off. It was quit the dramatic news story, all the video, plane hitting over and over, buildings falling, yet they were 'Meh, f--k em'.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I do know that other countries are bombed regularly, with American involvement.

However...I also feel for them and the innocent people and children who died.

I would not be friends with anyone who could condone the death of innocent people in any country, however, they may be getting sick of how America is so sheltered and what a big deal we make of our terrorists attacks when they have to live day by day, second by second not knowing if they are going be blown up or not.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Your friends are potential terrorists! Report them to the FBI immediately!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Your friends are potential terrorists! Report them to the FBI immediately!

I was thinking...

When TSHTF I would make sure and get them first.

If you hate America so much...GTFO

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The Japanese said they refuse to take the issue seriously until Americans acknowledge the attack was issued by Americans. I don't think anyone in their right mind would condone a tragedy. The misplaced hate is because we started a false flag war over it, and they have little sympathy for the state of affairs involved withe that.

Almost the entire world and an enormous amount of Americans suspect it was an 'inside job'. The consequences of that coming to light and the thousands of deaths in its name would rock the foundation of America, and so even with the evidence in place, the best course of action for Americans is to just forget.

The reason the world let's us do this to ourselves without sympathy is because we've done this before:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

The only real course of action is being diligent in avoiding it happen again.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
edit on 31-3-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join