It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not using an adblocker!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: VoidHawk

Are you using windows 10 and the Edge browser?"

If you are as I was and still am, I got the same message and after some digging I found where the browser blocked ads automatically. Since I found it and turned it off I have not received that message.

Windows 10 !
Do not use such foul language, I am strictly linux.
Look into the workings of the HOSTS file.

A little off-topic, but which version? I've been looking for a new version of linux to play with, but...too many choices.

I've played with all versions of linux Mint. If you have a reasonable pc then get the KDE version as just about everything is customizable. If your on an old tired pc then Mate would be a good choice.

I have a beast...

...KDE it is.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMNOTYOU

Unless an add is just a product description and a price, its per definition brainwashing, so NO adds are not safe, and i will not remove my addblocker

But your not even using one?? thats weird, but i fully understand you dont want to be forced to see adds

You have a strange "definition" of brainwashing.

No ad for McDonald's has ever forced me to adopt radically different views on their food.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: IAMNOTYOU

Unless an add is just a product description and a price, its per definition brainwashing, so NO adds are not safe, and i will not remove my addblocker

But your not even using one?? thats weird, but i fully understand you dont want to be forced to see adds

You have a strange "definition" of brainwashing.

No ad for McDonald's has ever forced me to adopt radically different views on their food.

Advertising is meant to work at a subconscious level as much as it is at a conscious level. We are often unaware of the subconscious effect, but it is there.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
you know ats recieved the $70,000 it wanted for it anti-ddos measures, yet we still get ddos outages.
call me cynicall, but if i was given 70k i probably wouldnt spend it on my website either.

That is an absolute lie. We barely received 1/10 of that, why would you post something so utterly false? I wouldn't just call you cynical, I'd call you bald faced liar or fabricator of the truth.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I DO NOT USE AD BLOCKERS!

Your browser is doing something that appears to be blocking ads. Like perhaps blocking iFrames or some JavaScripts.
edit on 30-3-2016 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
you get that message regardless of you using any adblocker, it a fault on ats's side.
weve all been having issues i guess.
you know ats recieved the $70,000 it wanted for it anti-ddos measures, yet we still get ddos outages.
call me cynicall, but if i was given 70k i probably wouldnt spend it on my website either.

How do you know what they received and how many attacks there have been? Do you have some special knowledge?
edit on 31-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There was a similar problem at the time of the last DDOS attack, and it seemed to affect some browsers and not others.
I and other Firefox users were free from it, and a Safari user made the same report.

edit on 31-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

We have been told that those who contribute will not be forced to view ads.

I contribute, and I am not forced to view ads!
All I can say is that I never touched my ad-blocker, and it is functioning flawlessly!
I will not willingly subject myself to brainwashing and propaganda/manipulation techniques!
Further, I NEVER experience ANY these problems that seem to be driving you guys crazy!
Not a one!

Of course I see no stars on 'this' page to award anyone, but, if that's all, I can live with that!
Otherwise, ATS is a flawless experience (for me and my adblock)! *__-

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I thought it was common knowledge that viewing a commercial can have a psychological effect on the subconcious mind (at least common knowledge on ATS) so iam sorry for not explaining it that well

An example:
A commercial shows a mand and his wife having a conversation about the wife wanting a new PC. This man wont pay for one, and tries to repair the old one, and gets electrocuted. This man acts like a moron all the way through the commercial, and ends up buying the PC after being ridiculed (for not wanting to buy a new pc)
This is designed to make you feel like a moron, if you dont buy the new stuff the want you to buy, out of fear of being ridiculed...

Between the in-store tricks and sneaky advertising tactics, consumers are struggling to navigate an increasingly aggressive environment. It’s no wonder that 50% of Americans don’t trust what they see, hear, and read in advertisements. The recent book Hidden Persuasion: 33 Psychological Influence Techniques in Advertising, written by Dutch social psychology professors Matthijs van Leeuwen and Rick van Baaren and visual design art director Marc Andrews, delves into the subtle ways that advertisements influence consumers, even at the subliminal level. Many ads are designed to fool you, and sometimes it’s painfully obvious, regardless of the FTC’s stance on false or deceptive advertising.

Source

This qoute is just from some random search about it, but you should do some digging, you will be suprised what you will find.. But common, did you really think that they would spend so much money (like in really HUGE amounts of money) just to show you an add for fun? No, they want something in return...

Edit: Thats why a place like ATS really shouldnt force people to view adds - that doesnt meen i dont want to support the site
I get that it cost money to keep this site running, and they need help to pay those bills, thats only fair - A solution might be to offer memberships to members who dont want adds, but still wants all functions (and help keep ATS running)
I wouldnt mind pay a small amount each year/month/? to keep this site running, just to avoid the adds
There is lots of paranoid people in here allready, so ATS of all places, should understand how some people feels about this and offer and alternative - i would love to support ATS anyway i can, as long as it doesnt involves watching any kind of commercials/adds
edit on 31-3-2016 by IAMNOTYOU because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2016 by IAMNOTYOU because: Edit to fix my bad spelling and wording

EDIT2: Just saw this and i think it is very relevant to this discussion
Microsoft plans to build ad blocker into its Microsoft Edge browser

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

applause received: 44
member posts: 8,226
member threads: 126
member flags: 2,326
member stars: 25,421
I think I contribute!!!

I do not mind ads (why are you rocking a perfectly positioned boat floating still in quiet water). As ATS has a tremendous sense of humor I may be spanked with "Chia Pet" or "Popeils Pocket Fisherman" adverts from the late 70's just for responding to this.
edit on 31-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

I think I contribute!!!

I do not mind ads

Good for you

why are you rocking a perfectly positioned boat floating still in quiet water

Two reasons.
1. We were told that those who contribute would not be forced to view ads. I contribute way more than most people do!
2. and this one is very important for folks like me - I pay by the megabyte for my connection, so those ads cost me real money!
A few months back I contacted SO concerning this issue, more specifically - the delayed video ads that popped up out of site on the main page. If I have the sound turned of I do not know they are running, and just one of those nasties can cost me £'s per go!!! SO did explain they should not be there and it did get sorted out.

As for "Rocking the boat", did you read the op and the following few posts properly? My issue was that I was being denied access because I wasn't viewing the ads, and as already mentioned, we were told those who contribute would not be forced to view them!
However, it seems it was some kind of server or attack problem. Its not happening now and I've changed nothing.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
originally posted by: vethumanbeing

I think I contribute!!!

vhb: I do not mind ads

Voidhawk: Good for you

vhb: why are you rocking a perfectly positioned boat floating still in quiet water

Voidhawk: Two reasons.
1. We were told that those who contribute would not be forced to view ads. I contribute way more than most people do!

Who is *we*; I never received that memo.

Voidhawk: 2. and this one is very important for folks like me - I pay by the megabyte for my connection, so those ads cost me real money! A few months back I contacted SO concerning this issue, more specifically - the delayed video ads that popped up out of site on the main page. If I have the sound turned of I do not know they are running, and just one of those nasties can cost me £'s per go!!! SO did explain they should not be there and it did get sorted out.

You are different; I just 'assume' I pay by the megabyte; (probably just fantasy) as am not a gamer yet keep track of each and every megabyte; (where are they) what they are up to; most important: if they are procreating without telling me.

Voidhawk: As for "Rocking the boat", did you read the op and the following few posts properly? My issue was that I was being denied access because I wasn't viewing the ads, and as already mentioned, we were told those who contribute would not be forced to view them! However, it seems it was some kind of server or attack problem. Its not happening now and I've changed nothing.

I do read the "OP" statements; though admit NOT always properly (sometimes understand them as if looking in a rear view mirror or more forwards; several car lengths ahead). As long as it is not happening now is a good thing.
edit on 1-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

yet keep track of each and every megabyte; (where are they) what they are up to; most important: if they are procreating without telling me.

Actually! that happens often when I visit this site! keep meaning to check out what they're doing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join