It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Most Americans support torture against terror suspects - poll

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Are you saying that not all humans have inalienable rights? I mean...that kinda runs counter to the term "inalienable", doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Are you saying that not all humans have inalienable rights? I mean...that kinda runs counter to the term "inalienable", doesn't it?

Apparently people don't have the 'right' to have their heads not chopped off.

Women have the 'right' to be raped, and treated as slaves, and the list goes on.

Terrorists have no constitution or bill of rights.

So how do we fight an enemy that has no rules, and tie our own hands ?

Playing the 'good' guys hasn't worked for the last eight years.

So what do we do now ?

Continue to sit back and get slaughtered ?

What happens if they actually succeed in infiltrating in nuclear power plant like they tried over in Europe?

Just sit back and die from the worlds largest dirty bomb attack?
edit on 30-3-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Apparently people don't have the 'right' to have their heads not chopped off.

Women have the 'right' to be raped, and treated as slaves, and the list goes on.

Terrorists have no constitution or bill of rights.

So how do we fight an enemy that has no rules, and tie our own hands ?

Playing the 'good' guys hasn't worked for the last eight years.

So what do we do now ?

Continue to sit back and get slaughtered ?

What happens if they actually succeed in infiltrating in nuclear power plant like they tried over in Europe?

Just sit back and die from the worlds largest dirty bomb attack?

I kind of see truth in both of your points. But when we see animals who have a radical view of religion that they use as an excuse to kill innocent people I have a hard time looking at them as human beings and not rabid animals that need to be put down!

Now if they were attacking government buildings and those in government of the Western world? I would have a hard time condemning them for their actions!

With that being said, it confirms my beliefs that Daesh is an organization devised by the elite to do nothing more than kill indiscriminately until they help those who they hate the most accomplish their ultimate goal!

What is that? Order out of Chaos!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

So then, we justify our actions with "he did it first"? What, exactly, are the limits? Where does it stop?

Freedom and liberty is not for the meek, that is for sure.

edit on 3/30/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Do I support torture? No.

Do I support water boarding, sleep deprivation, rock music, confined space, and other enhanced interrogation techniques that do no permanent physical harm? Hell yes. Because they are not torture.
edit on 30-3-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
double post
edit on 30-3-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

So then, we justify our actions with "he did it first"? What, exactly, are the limits? Where does it stop?

Hey I don't like it any more than you do.

But they are using our own system against us.

That is why they have been winning.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I don't know if I'd have the strength to torture someone. But if it saved lives by doing so, then I hope someone would.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Have to agree with that.

This whole nonsense of humanity evolving into an ever lasting and loving utopian orgy of bliss is nonsense. You can't fight Barbarians with hugs and kisses, but with the primal instinct of survival of the fittest.

Kind of reminds me of our military being forced to sit in classes to learn about tolerance! Goes to show you how out of touch our government really is. Teach your trained killers how to be tolerant.........Holy hell, I pray to a God I don't even believe in to grant me mercy to relieve me of living in this mad world.....

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I say torture away. We are not fighting an enemy with a code of conduct. We have to do whatever to win. If we aren't willing to get down and dirty, then we might as well not go to war. War is hell. It is brutal. There are no second place trophies.

With that said, I don't advocate raping and pillaging, but at the same time, if you catch one in the middle of planting an IED, then I say do whatever it takes, no matter how horrible it may be.

Right now, I think our enemies think we are soft. They need to understand that we are a just people and we value life. However, at the same time, they also need to understand don't screw with us. We can be just as crazy and brutal, if not moreso.

I believe when you go to war, you go to win. Salt the earth. Go freaking Roman on them. Take no prisoners.

I want a President who will tell these jihadist on television, we coat our bullets in bacon grease and will put them in a cell with a pig and not give two f's about it. After we are done, we will rip off the burkas of their women and let them drive a convertible. When one of our soldiers take a pic with a dead jihadist and pisses on his corpse, I want our President to invite him to the White House.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

They are "winning" because they are using our system against us alright. They sell oil and opium for cash to fund their operations.

They are "winning" because they find it all too easy to blame us for their woes (many of which we have actually caused). The entire schtick of ISIS is "resistance to America". Were they to conquer the world, the history would record them as brave freedom fighters, part of the resistance to IMperial America. Remove us from the equation, you remove their rallying point.

In other words: leave them to their own devices and withdraw from the area. Itll certainly put a lot of Americans back to work generating our own energy. Maybe we can finally do something about our rotting infrastructure.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Belgium isn't part of America. I think their hatred of America is real, but we aren't their only target.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

In other words: leave them to their own devices and withdraw from the area. Itll certainly put a lot of Americans back to work generating our own energy. Maybe we can finally do something about our rotting infrastructure.

We tried that approach under Clinton and ended up with the '93 Trade Center Attack, The embassy bombings, and the Cole.

WE tried that under Obama, and ended up with San Bernadino, and terrorist attack in Europe, and Australia.

Sticking our heads in the sand doesn't work.

generating our own energy

I have my own theory on this.

The push,and rise of alternative energy over the last 20 years.

The corresponding rise to terrorism from the middle east.

Because the alternative energy crowd is messing with the ME main source of income.

And there are only two main exports from the middle east.

Oil and terrorists.

Once the oil is gone that leaves only one thing.

Which they have been exporting quite a bit under the guise of 'refugees'.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Belgium isn't part of America. I think their hatred of America is real, but we aren't their only target.

The entire west is their target.

We have that separation of church and state that doesn't exist within Islam.

Our very existence is an affront to them.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

They are "winning" because they are using our system against us alright. They sell oil and opium for cash to fund their operations.

They are "winning" because they find it all too easy to blame us for their woes (many of which we have actually caused). The entire schtick of ISIS is "resistance to America". Were they to conquer the world, the history would record them as brave freedom fighters, part of the resistance to IMperial America. Remove us from the equation, you remove their rallying point.

As I agree with your assessment to withdraw from the area, it is a little late for that don't you think? Ron Paul was all for bringing our guys and gals home, but nope! We had to collectively as a country kiss the ass and bow down to the establishment that was making money hand over fist with their nation building bullsnip.

Look at the EU! I am an internet junky and you would be amazed at the people in the United States who are totally clueless as to what is happening over there! Is that by accident, or is it by the social conditioning of the MSM and Farcebook?

There isn't any easy or ethical answer to the problems we as a nation are facing. If we take the moral and righteous path, we will be destroyed.

Not bashing you, it is a moral conviction and action that we as a people and nation will have to decide on. Quite frankly? Illegal means exactly what it means. Protecting me and my loved ones? There is NO definition or law that will prevent me from doing so......

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

So let me get this straight. You think they are winning?

We meddled in the Middle East first. Long before 9/11.
Aside from very few terrorist attacks here in the USA, the war has been fought entirely on their turf. That doesn't sound like them winning.

American death total in the war on terror = 9655 (both military & civilian)

Iraqi death toll = anywhere from 62,000 to 1,120,000 (I'd err on the higher side of those numbers, a lot of these civilian)

Afghanistan death toll = anywhere from 10,900 to 249,000

Pakistan = between 1467 and 2334 (by drones)

Somalia = over 7000

Those numbers definitely don't sound like them winning.

The quality of life in the USA vs any of those countries is night and day.

Now the other parts of it are our fault. We helped to create (and initially train) al-Qaeda. We backed atrocities repeatedly carried out by Israel, sticking our nose into the region. ISIS is a result of us being there. The cost we've spent on this entire thing is foolishness. The war mongering we've waged (for oil, dominance, religion, lest we forget Bush stating that he was on a "mission from god" when he went into Iraq and Afghanistan, so big surprise that they think this is a religious war... so do we). The Patriot Act. The lies fed to us by our administrations. The fear drummed up that didn't/doesn't match reality. That's on us.

No one is winning. But our losses are just as much on us, if not considerably more.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I wonder how many people at Chicago's Homan Square were polled?

Extraordinary Rendition and Torture: It's not just for foreigners anymore.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

2/3 of the population also thinks the 24 scenario is realistic. Hell, Scalia actually voted in favor of torture because (as he used in his reasoning) it would be wrong to throw Jack Bauer in jail after everything he did for the US.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

We meddled in the Middle East first. Long before 9/11. Aside from very few terrorist attacks here in the USA, the war has been fought entirely on their turf. That doesn't sound like them winning.

Very few eh.

en.wikipedia.org...

Iraqi death toll = anywhere from 62,000 to 1,120,000 (I'd err on the higher side of those numbers, a lot of these civilian)

Don't believe everything you read.

Especially that number by ORB poll. en.wikipedia.org...

Hard saying just how many have died. The question is by who though.

Now the other parts of it are our fault. We helped to create (and initially train) al-Qaeda.

No 'we' didn't

AQ did not exist until the soviet withdrawl of Afghanistan in the very late 80s.

The war mongering we've waged (for oil, dominance, religion, lest we forget Bush stating that he was on a "mission from god" when he went into Iraq and Afghanistan,

Did ya miss this 'war mongering' ?

Did ya miss these 'lies' ?

The Patriot Act

You mean Carters FISA Act ?

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 ("FISA" Pub.L. 95–511, 92 Stat. 1783, 50 U.S.C. ch. 36) is a United States federal law which prescribes procedures for the physical and electronic surveillance and collection of "foreign intelligence information" between "foreign powers" and "agents of foreign powers" (which may include American citizens and permanent residents suspected of espionage or terrorism).[1] It has been repeatedly amended since the September 11 attacks.

en.wikipedia.org...

You means CLintons Omnibus Counter Terrorsim Act ?

Months before the Oklahoma City bombing took place, Biden introduced another bill called the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995. It previewed the 2001 Patriot Act by allowing secret evidence to be used in prosecutions, expanding the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and wiretap laws, creating a new federal crime of “terrorism” that could be invoked based on political beliefs, permitting the U.S. military to be used in civilian law enforcement, and allowing permanent detention of non-U.S. citizens without judicial review.* The Center for National Security Studies said the bill would erode “constitutional and statutory due process protections” and would “authorize the Justice Department to pick and choose crimes to investigate and prosecute based on political beliefs and assoc Link iations.”

Biden himself draws parallels between his 1995 bill and its 2001 cousin. “I drafted a terrorism bill after the Oklahoma City bombing. And the bill John Ashcroft sent up was my bill,” he said when the Patriot Act was being debated, according to the New Republic, which described him as “the Democratic Party’s de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism.”

www.washingtonsblog.com...

Have ANYTHING other than factual inaccuracies ?
edit on 30-3-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Strange hollywood got it right back in 1997

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join