It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Most Americans support torture against terror suspects - poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here we are once again people. I know some people think torture began under GW where it clearly did not. According to this poll 2/3's of Americans support torture if justified. Interesting to say the least considering for eight years it is been a topic of conversation, and was one of the reasons that elected the current guy in power. To supposedly stop it.

Torture Poll

Nearly two-thirds of Americans believe torture can be justified to extract information from suspected terrorists, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll, a level of support similar to that seen in countries like Nigeria where militant attacks are common.

Time for some background information.

The current policy traces its roots to the administration of former President Bill Clinton. Following the attacks of September 11, 2001, however, what had been a limited program expanded dramatically, with some experts estimating that 150 foreign nationals have been victims of rendition in the last few years alone.

ACLU

We 'tortured' a little bit but since it was Clinton a 'democrat' is was 'ok'. Then along came GW, and by 'God' we shouldn't!

How the US gets around the 'law'.
Extraordinary rendition

Extraordinary rendition, also called irregular rendition, is the government-sponsored abduction and extrajudicial transfer of a person from one country to another.[1] Although many other countries have in the past participated in the program, it is almost exclusively carried out by the Central Intelligence Agency and United States government,[2] with at least 50 such CIA detainees having been identified by human rights groups in the past.[3]

In the United States, the first well-known rendition case was that of an airline hijacker abducted in Italy and brought to the U.S. for trial, authorized by President Ronald Reagan.[4] President Bill Clinton authorized extraordinary rendition to nations known to practice torture, called torture by proxy.[5] The administration of President George W. Bush renditioned hundreds of so-called illegal combatants for torture by proxy, and to US controlled sites for an extensive torture and interrogation program under the euphemism enhanced interrogation

Torture by proxy goes back all the way to the days of Johnson, and Vietnam. From Laos, and Cambodia.

And last, but not least.

Within days of his inauguration in 2009, US President Barack Obama signed an Executive Order opposing rendition torture and established a task force to provide recommendations about processes to prevent rendition torture.[22] While the Obama administration has distanced itself from some of the harshest counter-terrorism techniques, it has also said that at least some forms of renditions will continue.[23] As of 2011, the administration allowed rendition only "to a country with jurisdiction over that individual (for prosecution of that individual)," when there is a diplomatic assurance "that they will not be treated inhumanely."[24][25

As of 2011 the current administration allows rendition to continue.

Don't care what side of the issue one falls on.

But know the facts.
edit on 30-3-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

According to Zuckerberg and the Pope, they just need some love and hugs!

I'm all for a good dirt nap, for anyone who wants to kill innocent people myself....

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Yea when it comes to information about blowing up a train station or a football game......give me a blow torch.

edit on 30-3-2016 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
America still tortures and kills people, not a huge surprise. Some of it may be justified, the majority probably isn't.

Are you able to quantify or cite examples of what 'if justified' means? Does it mean has been proven to have been involved in serious terrorist activity OR looks vaguely Muslim?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Yea when it comes to information about blowing up a train station or a football game......give me a blow torch.

Nail gun.

Avoid the stench.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Despite protestations that it does not condone torture, recently the Obama administration has been accused of transferring prisoners to face brutal treatment in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Somalia.[4]

Torture by proxy.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I advocated forcing their eyelids open and making them watch every Disney movie ever made

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Torture has been a tool utilized to extract information for centuries. It is commonly accepted that information gained from torture is often of little value, as the prisoner will say anything including what the torturer wants to hear in an effort to stop the pain.

Personally, if the effort to eradicate terrorism is to be successful, we need to change tactics. We need to lose the white hats, and use any means to combat an enemy who targets women and children. If that means torture to stave off another mass killing by Jihadists, I only have one thing to say:
Red goes to positive, black goes to negative.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
"justified." there's a loaded word.

Just goes to show that most people are still violent under a thin veneer if civility and moral high ground.

Is sending them to Guantanamo considered "irregular rendition" since it's a different country technically?
edit on 30-3-2016 by Slanter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Terrorists have no problem torturing people. Is anyone against this?

Personally, I don't like the idea of killing and harming other human beings, but it is hard for me to be too upset about these people getting what they deserve.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

Torture has been a tool utilized to extract information for centuries. It is commonly accepted that information gained from torture is often of little value, as the prisoner will say anything including what the torturer wants to hear in an effort to stop the pain.

Personally, if the effort to eradicate terrorism is to be successful, we need to change tactics. We need to lose the white hats, and use any means to combat an enemy who targets women and children. If that means torture to stave off another mass killing by Jihadists, I only have one thing to say:
Red goes to positive, black goes to negative.

I'm just a dumb ass "hillbilly"!

Let me tell you a secret. These so called Radical Islamists? Love the same thing every man loves! (well not those who are gay) No need to torture them for information! None!

Give them some X and bring in a beautiful woman to seduce them for the information, and CHA CHING!!!!!?????

Look at Saudi Arabia and the sexual perversions their elite thrive on, yet they kill those who dare to enjoy their sexual proclivities who are not as privileged?

See where I am going?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter

Just goes to show that most people are still violent under a thin veneer if civility and moral high ground.

Is sending them to Guantanamo considered "irregular rendition" since it's a different country technically?

I don't know.

In the Extraordinary rendition link. They used ships at sea.

So they probably got long boat ride to find out.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Here's the deal: it doesn't matter what The People think.

Part of the whole Constitutional Republic thing is that the laws that are in place (should) pertain mostly to protecting the rights of the individual. Not American....human.

I guess if we are a Democracy, what the people think matters. Otherwise, the 2/3 of America that are cruel have opinions that, in reality, just don't matter.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

All people are violent under a thin layer of pretending not to be, period, anyone who denies it is a liar and an idiot!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Part of the whole Constitutional Republic thing is that the laws that are in place (should) pertain mostly to protecting the rights of the individual. Not American....human.

Should those rights extend to those that has actively, and openly declared war on the state, and war on the people?

This is where the law enforcement approach fails.

It's a time where those people forfeit constitutional protections.

Like the idiots that have ran off to join ISIS.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Depends on what you mean by "torture." Waterboarding, IMO, is NOT torture. It gives you the sense of drowning, but guess what? You don't. Weenies call waterboarding "torture" and get their panties in a knot. That is extremely silly.

I'll give you an example of torture:

Torture is when they pull your fingernails out with a pair of pliers.
Torture is when they peel strips of skin off your torso.
Torture is when they hook your genitals up to high voltage and turn the power on.
Torture is when you die in the middle of them inflicting it.

Waterboarding and the stuff America has done in an attempt to get people to talk is not "torture" in any conventional sense of the term.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

All people are violent under a thin layer of pretending not to be, period, anyone who denies it is a liar and an idiot!

Primal Instincts have been slowly bred out of a good portion of humanity. Think of Domesticated farm animals! How else has our ruling elite class retained and gained so much authority over us?

I am hanging on to my primal instincts till the end!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

At least they walk away from water boarding.

Unlike a hellfire from a drone shot at them.
edit on 30-3-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Why should we be nice to terrorists? I like Russia's way of dealing with them.

The KGB then apparently kidnaped and killed a relative of an unnamed leader of the Shias' Hezbollah (Party of God) group, a radical, pro-Iranian group that has been suspected of various terrorist activities against Western targets in Lebanon. Parts of the man's body, the paper said, were then sent to the Hezbollah leader with a warning that he would lose other relatives in a similar fashion if the three remaining Soviet diplomats were not immediately released. They were quickly freed.

Soviet Russia doesn't play around

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Why should we be nice to terrorists?

Basically because 'progressives' say we should.

We are not suppose to be mean to people that want to kill us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join