It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't Black People Get Out of the Ghetto?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

So black people have a certain personality and attitude? Thats not race?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
why cant whites get out the ghetto

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The history of the African-American demographic in the United States of America has at its foundation slavery wherein racism, abuse of human rights and deprivation of liberty were the hallmarks.

As the industrial revolution took place, it outpaced the social evolution transformation one expects from being in a technologically developing community. In the case of America, imo, the eternal hatred between blacks and whites of the older generation could never forget let alone forgive past wrongdoings.

Fast forward to today and ask yourself what the African-American community leaders are doing about stamping out the rock-star hardcore gangsta rapper paradigm where the gang mentality has all but destroyed the family mentality.

It's all about the culture

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You lack common sense and all the education in the world won't help you. I respect freedom of speech so I'm not offended by your post as a black woman from Detroit. You are making generalizations about a group of people based off a few and the propaganda that the media puts out. Why should I move out of Detroit when I live a good life? I take at least 3 vacations a year, I'm up to date on the latest electronics and fashions, and I live in nice a home, and I stay educating myself; but because I'm black you assume I'm stuck in the ghetto and refuse to leave lol! Go back to the yahoo comment section!
edit on 2-4-2016 by Teeky because: word

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Same reasons natives can't get off the reservation, whites can't get out of the trailer park and the Asians can't get out of the sweatshops. The factors are too numerous, complex and nuanced to break down simply but like all obstacles; poverty can be overcome with enough determination and focus, at least on an individual level.

edit on 2-4-2016 by MagnaCarta2015 because: corrected punctuation

edit on 2-4-2016 by MagnaCarta2015 because: corrected punctuation

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
theres nott a day gone by on ats where blacks arent demeaned, belittled, stereotyped, begrudged, accused, generalized, etc.
why cant other races get out of the ghetto. ..

God come already. the meek cant stay meek forever. the most persecuted people on this earth... why.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
www.photius.com... I'm just gonna be real and not gonna be PC or sugarcoat it, Black people on average have lower IQs, score lower on tests, and have lower rates of college graduation. Does that mean all black people are dumb? Not at all my brain pales in comparison to someone like Neil Degrasse Tyson and Barrack Obama as well as many others. I am just saying on AVERAGE they are behind the other demographics. Asians having the highest IQs followed by Caucasians, and Latino's. I am a Latino myself with a half black sister, black nieces and nephews so I'm not claiming any superiority I'm just presenting the facts without being PC which it seems most people are afraid to do.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The government puts the drugs in these neighborhoods and its systematic, they couldn't do it because of their pigment

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
So in his story, the parents stayed together and worked hard. So basically you are adding 3. Bad parenting by deadbeat dad's to the list.

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJS4life
So in his story, the parents stayed together and worked hard. So basically you are adding 3. Bad parenting by deadbeat dad's to the list.

a reply to: intrptr

Thats how dad got that way. When he was a kid the same thing happened to them. It goes back generations, fostered intentionally by the state to keep them repressed and hopeless. Where better to get an early start than disrupting the family?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Fast forward to today and ask yourself what the African-American community leaders are doing about stamping out the rock-star hardcore gangsta rapper paradigm where the gang mentality has all but destroyed the family mentality.

Probably they're doing as much as they can w/o alienating their base. Addressing it head-on tends to devolve into flustercucks like this:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Teeky

I think what you say is reversed. You are the case of the few. Not the other way around.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

"I see no changes, wake up in the morning and I ask myself:
"Is life worth living? Should I blast myself?"
I'm tired of being poor and, even worse, I'm black
My stomach hurts so I'm looking for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
Pull the trigger, kill a nigga, he's a hero
"Give the crack to the kids: who the hell cares?
One less hungry mouth on the welfare!"
First ship 'em dope and let 'em deal to brothers
Give 'em guns, step back, watch 'em kill each other"
...."Take the evil out the people, they'll be acting right
Cause both Black and White are smoking crack tonight!"
..."Instead of war on poverty
They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me"

Tupac got assassinated for trying to use his gangster rapper reputation to change the mentality of the kids in the ghetto... At least he got his black president though, even if he wasn't around to witness it.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Yes, this is a silly forum post, and yes, it is also my job is to dispel ignorance/complacency so that we can have more erudite discourses in the future.

And yes, sociology will answer alot of those questions regardless of what demographic or type one is born into. It operates on toxic dichotomies, as if there is a necessity of rich/poor, powerful/disenfranchised,etc. It's really pissing people off though, so that's enough to tell you that a good deal of these dualities do not help holistically. Once we do our job individually (taking personal responsibility if we are contributing to our own /other's healing or demise,) we fix what's broken with no strings attached, then we stop depending on the government and they will abort their enabling and disempowering policies and do as we ask.

No one seems to consider the deep psychological damage of what poverty, toxic cultural upbringing, home and institutionalized abuse,institutionalized racism and an over-privileged mentality does to people, none of this 'happens' in a vacuum and it will not go away passively, either.

Imagine getting kicked around hard and often enough, one would feel too down to get back up. It's really hard to self-actualize while in survival mode on a constant basis.

Imagine thinking that certain racial groups or 'types' of people in certain racial groups are considered always poor without thinking about the mechanics of how it gets that way, while sitting self-satisfied, wrongfully assuming that they're 'lazy' or 'willfully ignorant'.

As long as there are systems in place that do not encourage total equality, community and healing for everyone, and people are being encouraged to follow the blind, the least people can do is stop judging people verbally and mentally at face value that are either presented up front or portrayed by the media and actually find a way help people help themselves (any resistance to that is another story altogether) -- at least take an assessment of the negative internalization of duality and move forward, it helps everyone at that point when everyone finds a way to participate in wholeness.

*contributing my $0.02 here - sociology in a nutshell*

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I can be hard to get out of the ghetto.

It's easy to get lost in the ghetto. Have you ever BEEN in a ghetto late at night? Usually the lighting is bad and all the storefronts are shuttered. All the streets look the same.

I remember being lost in the bad part of Cancun one night in Mexico. I was totally lost, and wandered around for hours. I actually wasn't to scared of being mugged, as I had no idea how much danger I was in.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

Everything has a cause, keep engaging and enabling cultural genocide via subtle exclusion and social deprivation to generations of any people over and over and over.

What are you going to do to help fix it? rave smugly (in thoughts and actions) about your less-pigment status?

No government, country, culture or community is superior if the people in it are expecting (by thoughts and actions) certain others who are considered to be 'not alike' to be less than, due to circumstances that had absolutely nothing to do with them personally generations ago.

People who continue to speak about other people's problems and yet do nothing to find a way to help or encourage better situations are just as hypocritical and murderous as the politicians and those who make the laws active.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: phxflamer

So it's my responsibility to fix the African American? Any suggesting i say such as reinvest in your community once you become successful, use birth control as 72% of African American children are born out of wedlock, deemphasis hip-hop culture etc, would be met with criticism as a whole the group is above criticism because you will be labeled a racist if you say anything critical of them its much easier to blame others than take a look at yourself. I'm committing genocide by pointing out facts? Don't you think that's quite a stretch? I never said anyone was superior to anyone, I was merely pointing out statistics. Every group has social problems in the white commubity heroin is huge, in the Latin community gang violence is a problem, in the gay community STDs remain a problem. But by ignoring the problems ita not going anyway. Not everything is whitey's fault .

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I believe many people ask themselves the same question, but settle to easily on factors like "lack of education" and "racism". While it is true that these are part of a myriad of issues that contribute to people of a certain race populating impoverished areas, my best answer is this: structural impediments.

Societal forces have placed structural impediments preventing these individuals overcoming poverty. Schools that wherehouse them, a lack of any substantive college or vocational training, inadequate housing, little to no positive community involvement, ect. I think of it like this, in the late 1800's and early 1900's it was common in America to live in a "company town." A town would be built by a prominent factory or industry (Pullman, Illinois is the most famous example) to house and support their workers. In fact, many residents in these town were paid for their labor with coupons, which they would then spend at the company store.

Think of a ghetto as a company town of sorts. However, the "factory" in this case, the only option for you to gain enough money to provide for your family, is engaging in criminal activity. Sell drugs and make good money, just like your role models did while you grew up, or work for minimum wage at McDonalds. It's not a difficult choice, in fact it is a logical decision. Then these young, black men are arrested, hastily moved through the criminal justice system, and sent to prison. They often leave behind a younger generation to make the same choices they made, and the cycle continues. Now, thats not to say that there are some individuals who overcome this vicious cycle, because there are. The structural impediments can be overcome, they are just designed to be extremely difficult to do so. This ensures the majority of the population remains segregated and impoverished.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I find it absolutely, glaringly telling that everyone completely ignored Nate's comment for 2 pages thus far. No one cares one way or the other what may or may not be primary factors in keeping blacks in poverty, ghettos, and so forth -- they just want to be on the PC pulpit because it's en vogue.

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

Why can't black people seem to get out of the ghetto?

There are culturally enforced influences to make living in the 'ghetto' or other impoverished areas seem appealing.
Most if not all of these influences come from inside these communities.
I know how this is going to sound...
But I think it's also a partly because black people are lazy.
My family (whom is black btw) would jokingly ask me if I had experienced yet what they called "n*gg3r-itis" which is essentially 'black laziness' or sleepiness.
Now according to them it is quite common among black people to be quite lazy.
Although I wouldn't take my word on this.

Nate, I don't know about the rest of the Wonderbread Brigade, but I'd actually appreciate it if you'd be willing to come back & expound on this further. I'm honestly really intrigued as to why your family feels this way as a black family, considering the other views present in the thread.
edit on 4/18/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
a reply to: Teeky

I think what you say is reversed. You are the case of the few. Not the other way around.

You need to study African history more look into your own history more. Don't just look at the classical or renaissance era go back as far you can into European history. Then you won't make generalizations about a whole race of people. Oh and Greek mythology is a good one. Studying history has helped me understand racism more. Yes there are black people stuck in ghettos, but so are whites, asians, etc....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join