It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't Black People Get Out of the Ghetto?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I'm thinking ATS must have big stables for all the members with high horses
edit on 31-3-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
Does that make a racist? I have black friends who doing really well for themselves. They don't sound or talk like the typical ones though...

Why don't you tell me, what makes a racist?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

Not being any kind of expert, I'd tentatively say that you have to examine the multi-generational impact of slavery, poverty, single-mother families, the epigenetic consequences of violence, and the legacy of having been steeped in the Southern culture of honor. Here's a great book if you're interested in learning more about how these factors have intersected in the last couple of centuries, and why breaking out of the cycle is very difficult.

All God's Children

I gather from the OP that you are a first-generation Asian American, and you are working with a very different cultural template. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but duty to family and an emphasis on performing well in school were two major influences in your development. Exposure to those cultural values ups your chances of attending college and enjoying a stable, fruitful life as an adult, even if you grew up poor. We all have to do the best with what we're born into.

edit on 31-3-2016 by Spookytraction because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Because they are born into a life of pain (pain impairs judgement) www.dailymail.co.uk...

Which leads to bad decisions which leads to more pain which leads to more bad decisions which leads to more pain which leads to more bad decisions which leads to more pain and so on
edit on 31-3-2016 by SpecialSauce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
African American leave the ghetto every day. The large number just makes it seem like it's impossible. There is a huge culture issue within the black community among many of them. It's so strong that it smothers any of them trying to do what is right. Go to school, get good grades, get a job off the streets. Guess what, you get harassed for being an Uncle Tom. Some don't want you to succeed outside of the hood. In fact many become targets if you do succeed outside of the hood.

Also to those who are being ignorant to the statement the OP made about "sounding like the typical ones" you know exactly what he means. I've worked with many many African Americans in my life time and most, not all, have the street slang. It don't matter what profession. I've worked with Managers & Directors and guess what...outside of work the street slang comes out. It is what it is. No point in trying to hide it.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

No one is talking about being millionaires. Just moving out of the ghetto and stop taking hand outs. Why do they wear 200 dollars sneakers? but take government handouts? Sorry if i offended you, but there is truth to it. As for grammar and spellings, no one gives a # on the internet.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I am so tired of all the excuses. What does a history of slavery have to do with you being a punkass? What does that have to do with being super cocky. Have you listened to rap music that's playing nowaday? you think they were billionaires and saving the world.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SeeReeS

Why should I judge people who live in the ghetto? They don't have anything to do with me? Wrong sir. I work hard. Pay taxes. Then some of that money goes into the ghetto. Putting Michael Jordan shoes on those feet. Sorry, but yes it have to do with me cause I pay taxes. As long as I pay taxes and contribute to this country, I can question why generations of people keep living on handouts and blames it on history. History that was decades ago.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: texasyeti

Yeah, I have lots of friends who are in really good situations. They tend not to make excuses. They do complain about mis treatments cause it does happen. But what they don't do is make excuses.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I don't think reality cares what you think.

Basically you have a classic racist arguement.
The cause of the behavior is because of their race.

Other wise you would say its because of a culture which is based in history and and environment.

Slaves were brought over their culture erased through force as much as possible. Then were segregated were second class citizens. Then uncle Sam comes along and gives them just enough hand outs to keep them alive. They killed their leaders and promoted the chumps. They were once pioneers of the most sophisticated form of music to have existed in bebob jazz.

Think beyound your small life and think bigger. It's not as simple as you make it sound.

Name me another culture with those odds that have made grand social achievements in decades.
edit on 31-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

this video gives you an idea

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

a reply to: stargatetravels

As for grammar and spellings, no one gives a &^%# on the internet.

It helps reinforce that ignorance thing that you seem to be brimming with.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'll bet you didn't see this coming, OP.

I'll bet you had no idea you were literally Hitler for wondering about this, although it's seemingly common knowledge, in a way..

I think you've found the answer to your question though.. It's glaringly obvious in this thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

a reply to: SeeReeS

Why should I judge people who live in the ghetto? They don't have anything to do with me? Wrong sir. I work hard. Pay taxes. Then some of that money goes into the ghetto. Putting Michael Jordan shoes on those feet. Sorry, but yes it have to do with me cause I pay taxes. As long as I pay taxes and contribute to this country, I can question why generations of people keep living on handouts and blames it on history. History that was decades ago.

And how much of "your" taxes went directly to the "ghetto"? Research where your federal taxes go in America. tax budget

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I used to be LE. One day we were rolling through the projects and saw a black teenage boy with his pants down around his knees...but with a belt on. (WTF?) I just HAD to stop and chat him up. He wasn't in trouble, I was just curious. Once he got over the initial pants sh*t of having the cops stop him we had an enlightening conversation.
1. He spoke in almost intelligible slang the entire time.
2. He was very well aware that the sagging practice came from prisons, where it meant you were a b*tch and available. Yet did it anyway. He assured us that it didn't mean the same thing 'out in the frees' aka free world.
3. He really wanted to sag, but I guess the belt kept the pants from falling ALL the way down to his ankles.
4. He was wearing a wife beater up top.
5. When asked where he was going he replied "to get a job"

Double WTF?

We proceeded to coach him as much as possible in the limited time we had. Hey son, go home pull up your pants to your actual waist, put on a nice clean t-shirt or preferably a button down or polo. When you go to apply for jobs try really hard to fill out the forms clearly and in proper English. When you're speaking to business owners speak in proper English and refer to them as Ma'am or Sir. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I truly felt sorry for this kid and I still do to this day. He is a product of the environment he was raised in and genuinely didn't know any better. He had no one in his life to tell him that his appearance and speech were going to severely limit him out in the 'frees'. He grew up in a culture where education is shunned, reliance on public assistance is the norm and criminal behavior is exalted.

I have no idea what happened to him, but I really hope our interaction was a good influence. Obviously no one else was taking the time to work with this poor kid.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How did this thread survive so long? Lololol

8/10 troll thread

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Why can't white folks find their way out of the trailor park to painful to move when their knuckles are dragging on the ground?

We have similar areas in the UK - they are called "sink estates" or the "white underclass". You'll see them on TV like the Jeremy Kyle show. How did they get into that state? Mainly because benefits were "means tested" so that if whoever was in the worst possible situation took the highest priority (single teenage mother with children, no father, no other sources of income, unemployed). They got council houses, then bring in a constant stream of boyfriends, then have more children who become feral. That drives out respectable neighbors and good teachers from the schools, the children don't learn. Then as teenager, the girls get pregnant as teenagers, the boys get into drugs and die from drug addiction. And the whole cycle continues until a whole neighborhood had high levels of unemployment.

In the USA, the cities used to be where all the wealth was. Middle class Americans lived in the apartments in the city while poor farm workers lived out in the countryside. Then with the introduction of the car, Ford had the idea that everyone could go out for runs in the countryside in the weekends. People had a better idea, they would live out in the countryside and drive into the city for work. That led to suburbanization of the countryside, the displaced farm workers had to go into the cities to find work. That led to blockbusting of large roomy apartments for middle class families, which were then converted into more densely packed units. What the landlords didn't realize is that the higher density lead to a more rapid wear-and-tear on the fabric of the building.When they couldn't afford to maintain the property or pay the fines, they went bankrupt and sold out to the city. Even when these buildings were demolished and replaced with new housing projects, the first thing that the tenants did was to invite relatives to stay until they were back in the same housing density as before.

That high density leads to gang problems, overcrowded schools and so on.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I am so tired of all the excuses. What does a history of slavery have to do with you being a punkass? What does that have to do with being super cocky. Have you listened to rap music that's playing nowaday? you think they were billionaires and saving the world.

You realize it is white people that own and run the record labels and dictate what the content of the rap music scene is, right?

There has been an effort to keep uplifting, positive messages OUT of rap music. Empowering, educating...encouraging people to be better? That USED to be in rap music until the major record labels began signing the artists back in the 80's...then the entire rap industry changed.

It became all about drugs, sex, violence, turf-wars, ect -- it mirrored exactly what the "war on drugs" was supposed to be fighting, and we know full well the war on drugs was a war on poverty and minorities. Nixon's advisor just recently admitted that the war on drugs was against black people!

One of Richard Nixon's top advisers and a key figure in the Watergate scandal said the war on drugs was created as a political tool to fight blacks and hippies, according to a 22-year-old interview recently published in Harper's Magazine.

CNN

Why that hasn't blown up on ATS is beyond me, but anyway...

There's been an effort in America to keep the poor (both white and black) poor. There's been a documented effort to keep black people at odds with the government and law enforcement system via the war on drugs, and using rap music as propaganda to fuel and feed young people into jail cells.

Me? I personally feel there was a deeper reason Tupac was killed, and it wasn't over gang turf or personal insults.
edit on 1-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Although a little conspiracy theoryyyyy.... I believe you have a good theory here. But who's forcing them to listen to these music?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Incorrect, not so much of the race, but personality and attitude.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join