It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Protests Germany Over Satirical Erdogan Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

ANKARA— The German ambassador to Turkey has been summoned to the foreign ministry over the broadcast by German television of a song that pokes fun at Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, an official said Tuesday Turkey condemned the satirical video to Ambassador Martin Erdmann during a meeting last week and demanded that the public broadcaster that aired it March 17 cease showing it, according to a ministry official who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government rules. The German-language song, which can still be seen on broadcaster ARD's website and on social media, alludes among other things to the imprisonment of opposition journalists, authorities' heavy-handed response to protesters and allegations that Turkey prefers to take action against Kurdish rebels rather than the Islamic State group. It features a clip of Erdogan falling off a horse.

Turkey Protests Germany Over Satirical Erdogan Video

Full clip with subtitles:

More on the NDR site:

The NDR television editor, Andreas Cichowicz, stressed on Tuesday that "the Turkish government has been revealed because of an extra 3-contribution diplomatically active, is not consistent with our understanding of the press and freedom of expression." In Germany, political satire was fortunately allowed. Even the German Journalists Association (DJV) criticized the actions of the Turkish government sharply: "The Turkish rulers Erdogan appeared traction lost", the DJV national chairman Frank said everywhere. The makers of Extra 3 would obviously "hit the mark. Congratulations to!" Erdoğan now be "made a mockery of social networks". Extra 3-editorial director Andreas Lange rejoiced in an interview on NDR Info about the media attention. "The song is funny and entertaining - but of course it also has a journalistic core content." So he occupied himself with the policy of Erdogan and the harassment of journalists.

Erdogan satire: Ambassador Stresses Press Freedom

And now all y'all's: "Erdowie, Erdowo, Erdogan!"

Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Lol, here's what I don't understand. ..why do folks from that part of the world, get all bothered about schoolyard antics? From my perspective their reaction just in flames the situation further.

Cartoons, etc...are not worth killing over. It's just so immature
edit on 30-3-2016 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I liked the video and they should tell him if he doesn't like it then he doesn't have to watch it otherwise he can FO.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Lol, here's what I don't understand. ..why do folks from that part of the world, get all bothered about schoolyard antics?

Because they never grew up.

Adult children are in charge of many of the worlds nations. Thats why things are so screwed up.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Lol, here's what I don't understand. ..why do folks from that part of the world, get all bothered about schoolyard antics? From my perspective their reaction just in flames the situation further.

Spot on!
Erdogans response actually legitimized the whole thing.

Kinda perfect epic fail on his part if you ask me.

edit on 30-3-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I am not sure it is specifically folks from that part of the world, look at 'lil Kim in NK, it rather seems to be a specific class of person. Those who believe that nobody has the right to either criticise or disagree with them. There is a culture of superiority that goes beyond the norm with these people, a culture that people in the west very often forget exists, because satire is part of our everyday lives.

I imagine nobody really gives a toss what Turkish politicians think about this issue in Germany, and nor should they.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I'll agree with that for the most part, but having lived there and Eastern Asia as well, I can say there is a certain level of male leader fragile-ness, that is more prevalent than elsewhere. ..but perhaps I am being biased. I appreciate your contention.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I was, in a roundabout way, actually agreeing with you anyway. The only real difference between these people from some parts of the world and others, is the amount of public (and private) criticism to which they can be subjected.

Believe you me though, there are many, many of this class of people in western society too, they just take it on the chin better, as they really have no choice.

edit on 30-3-2016 by Jonjonj because: including private...in brackets...ooer missus and all that

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
how about live and let live...

why instigate other nations.. why.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is the same as Kanye.

When you are in the public arena, there are 2 solid truths that must be observed:

- People are going to make fun of you because you are a topic that has a common thread with other people. It make no sense for me to make fun of Gunther Wilhelm, my next door neighbor. No one knows him, and its not much more than an inside joke. Political and entertainment folks, however? Everyone knows them, so the joke can have context. All that aside from the fact that you are doing things, if in the public, that everyone can see and have an opinion on.

- If you waste your time addressing people making fun of you, you are only belittling yourself. As a manager, to address minor fun making by my employees only makes me look petty (and encourages more of it). It is absolutely poor leadership to do this.

Nonetheless, what a dumb story for the media to bother reporting. "Erdogans feelings are hurt, so he made it a matter of official state business to tell Germany to quit making it official state business to make fun of him".

LOL, and you Europeans make fun of our politics.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You are absolutely right in all that you say.

But who is Kayne?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass

You are absolutely right in all that you say.

But who is Kayne?

Kanye West....

Do you like fish sticks?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Ok... Now that I have quit laughing now I can say thanks for giving me the laugh of the week... and it is Wednesday getting on into the week.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

lol I should have put some sarcasm tags in my post.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I get your drift but I think there's more to this. Who reacts to jokes regarding his oppression of a free press with demands to oppress the free press further now? Kayne was never in the position to pull such an awesome stunt. Being a public figure and unable to cope with all layers of celebrity status is one thing, nailing a bunch of serious accusations with more of the same madness is a whole other issue on top of that.
Extra3 recently recommended Erdogan as employee of the month (due to his awesome teamwork) in their latest show. Very entertaining in a moronic way, innit?

Art is supposed to give a sh!t about nations if you ask me. And most funny Europeans I know mock all EUS politics, who'd be able to tell the difference anyway... somebody special you had in mind?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The Erdogator himself waisted some air in Washington recently and somehow managed to be a real Dick Cheney again. Surprise, surprise!

NOW THAT that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has nearly completed a crackdown on dissent at home — closing down opposition newspapers, prosecuting students for joking on Twitter about officials, and putting journalists on trial — he seems intent on silencing critics in other countries as well.

After the president arrived in Washington on Tuesday night, his security team got right to work, harassing protesters and journalists outside his hotel, as writers for one of the papers recently shuttered by Erdogan’s government noted.

Turkey Wants Ban on Mocking Its Leader Enforced Abroad Too

And off he goes, making a lot of new friends wherever he lands.

Aaaand there's a little update on this Extra3 clip:

Over the next 24 hours, the video was viewed nearly three million times more on YouTube, including more than a quarter of a million views of the new Turkish version.
The song’s revised lyrics explicitly cite Erdogan’s attack on press freedom. “When a journalist writes a piece that Erdogan doesn’t like,” the singer notes, “he quickly ends up in jail.”
As the German magazine Spiegel reported on Monday when it first revealed Turkey’s attempt to have the German government censor the video, Erdogan’s government has been incensed about European diplomats openly opposing its crackdown on the media.
Germany’s ambassador is one of several European diplomats to attend the trial of two senior journalists, Can Dündar, the editor-in-chief of the opposition Cumhuriyet newspaper, and Erdem Gül, the paper’s Ankara bureau chief. The two men face life in prison on espionage charges for reporting last year that weapons seized at the country’s border with Syria in 2014 were part of a covert operation by Turkey’s intelligence service to supply Islamist rebels.
“This is a tug of war between Turkish democrats and autocrats,” Dundar told the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday. “The Western world has been supporting Erdogan for years and we were telling them that this was the wrong decision, not only for Turkey, but also for the Western world.”

Autsch, that hurts!
3 million more views within 24 hours, not to mention his tug war being all over the place again. What a ride!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The story is actually way more important, than you may think.

The context is that german chancellor Merkel just recently made a deal with Erdogan about Turkey taking in refugees from greece. With lots of promises.
Officially a lot of money and the promise that for every refugee turkey takes in from greece, germany would take one in from turkey.

There is all kinds of speculation what other deals went down inofficially, but it s no secret that Erdogan wants to join the EU.

Which is problematic given the way he acts towards press and kurds.

For Merkel the deal is very important, sort of her last straw.
And it givés way too much power to Erdogan.
So germany is in between a rock and a hard place in this:

After Erdogan cited the german embassy about the satire germany would normally just say: freedom of press germany, get lost. Accept it.

At the same time Merkel has to play nice with Erdogan, because of her deal.

Apart from that the story is really ironic: Erdogan gets accused of silencing journalists in a satire which no one would have known. Through his reaction the whole thing went viral, and he proved that he wants to silence all critique.

Just last day Erdogan visited the UN, his bodyguards had a brawl with UN security staff (i think thats a first in UN history.
Then there have been small protest outside, again the bodyguards acted like thug.

Today was another similar incident; some protesters and journalists thugged up by his Entourage.
Erdogan then said: these protesters don t even know what s going on in turkey.

Ironically even if they would not have known. before, the Erdogan team showed it to them how they treat journalists, even in Washington.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

you are very right about the power Erdogan has to suppress free journalism:

- to get a press license in turkey yu have to apply in an office which is directly under erdogans control. so no chance to get a license for citicsl journos
- in the last few months several press outlets have been raided on his command
- one of the journalists who got attacked in Washington had a media outlet which was expropiated
- there have been many journalist which went to jail, some even killed or had accidents. both turkish and foreign journalists
- there are many stories of Erdogans thugs harrassing and attacking Turkish and Kurdish journalists in Germany

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

Well put, I appreciate your contribution!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join