It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
There I was, sitting in a Tim Horton's coffee shop, minding my own business having a cup of coffee. Suddenly, the man who was sitting next to me -- a complete stranger -- turns to me and says "I just finished the best book that I have ever read". Amazingly enough, the very same book happened to be in my jacket pocket! I had finished the same book only an hour or so earlier. And, to add to the synchronicity of the moment, I also thought that it was the best book that I had ever read: "PILLARS OF THE EARTH" by Ken Follet.

What's the best book that you ever read? (We're talking about the very best book that you ever read here).

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Probably the Baldur's gate trilogy in the Forgotten Realms series. I really like the way those were written.

Halo books were really cool, though I haven't read the third one yet...

My most recent is the Da Vinci Code, really good book you should check it out.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You must be Canadian

I've had several similar occurences in Tim Hortons... more along the lines of people seeing what I'm reading a striking up a conversation

Can;t say what my favorite book atthe moment is...
hmmmm,

I'll say... Perfume by Patrick Suskind

[edit on 12-1-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
My favorite book the Divine Comedy by Dante I love his satire of the hell.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
My favorite book is: The Evolution of Political Thought [copyright 1958] by the late British scholar and historian, C. Northcote Parkinson. His explanation of Theocracy, Chapter X, pp 121~141 from this mentioned work provides the most cogent analysis of the use of religion that I've ever read. Writing from the points of view of both an historian and a social anthropologist he explains, reveals from a logical viewpoint, and defends the unifying and constructive element of a good religion as the word is literally translated; viz: a science of reliance. He also goes on to to reveal how scoundrels at times have picked up the bible to serve their own selfish, even wicked agenda.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
Probably the Baldur's gate trilogy in the Forgotten Realms series.

I've never read the Baldur's Gate books, but the game gave me months of entertainment. If Minsc & Boo are in the books, I have to give them a go.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I still cry when I read Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities - it's probably my favorite. But when I'm in a rut - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or a King novel are my first choices.

Favorite is definitely subject to mood and whim.

B.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I loved Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy. But, then, what wasn't there to love. When confronted by such a keen imagination and presented with such useful rules; i.e. "always carry a towel", you simply can't go wrong, eh?

(oh by the way, I am not a Canadian. I am an American who has resided in Canada for the past twenty years. And, incidentally, they now do have Tim Horton's in Michigan, Ohio and Illinois, if I'm not mistaken).

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
My favorite book has to be Catch22 by joseph heller. Unforgettable characters make up for the lack of plot. I can read it over and over and over again and still laugh.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I've never read the Baldur's Gate books, but the game gave me months of entertainment. If Minsc & Boo are in the books, I have to give them a go.

I used to have minsc and Boo as part of my party in Baldur's gate. I always wondered if Boo was going to surprise me by being some sort of secret weapon, and posses some sort of secret hammie powers lol. Perhaps he did, but I just never got to see them.

anyway, my favorite book. Hard to choose, probably Memnoch the devil by Anne Rice.

JAK

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A couple of what I think are worth reading in no particular order:

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
    - Just fantastic.

Dee Brown's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
    - Tragic yet beautiful.

Clive Barker's Imagica, The Great and Secret Show and Everville
    - I was reticent when offered these by a friend, I am not a horror fan. In fact his name being assossiated mostly in my mind with Hellraiser really gave me no desire to read any of his works. However when finally pestered into trying them, they were excellent. Such imagination.

William L. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
    - I am reading this at present and it is breathtaking. I am spellbound. I cannot praise it highly enough if you are interested in this kind of thing.

Suelette Dreyfuss' Underground
    - This is, in my humble opinion, absolutely excellent. The book itself is legally available for reading online or download . I stumbled across this, I forget how but some time ago. I read a fair amount but can not read a book more than once, I just lose concentration. This is the only book I have ever read more than once. In fact I have read it about five times, I even found an out-of-print book shop and paid them to search for a copy. It did not work out too cheap and as I said I had read tha book before but, tp me at least, there is something about this book.

Jeff Long's The Descent
    - I brought this as a purchase to get me out of a contract with a book club. Just an easy nothing book but I was pleasantly surprised when I read it.

Andrew Collins' The Black Alchemist That will do for now.

Jack

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
My favorite book the Divine Comedy by Dante I love his satire of the hell.

Ive been reading that on the train to work, great piece of work.

The Original Dune by Frank Herbert is prob my favourite book.

I also like Bury my heart at wounded knee by Dee Brown as well

Anything by Greg Bear, Eon, Forge of God

Anything By Bill shakespeare, Henry V is my favorite by him

I also like the Necroscope sieries by Brian Lumbley.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Janus]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Has anyone read the Dark Matter novels ???

Ive read the first two and thought they were great......I have the next two but having trouble finding the final novel - By Dust Consumed by Don Bassingthwaite...........if anybody sees it please give me a shout !!!!

Also the Black Oak series by Charles Grant............really good read !

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is probably my hands-down favorite even dispite its bleak portrayal of the future. I would have picked 1984 except for the kind of f-ed ending that left me all mad about it for weeks.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is probably my hands-down favorite even dispite its bleak portrayal of the future. I would have picked 1984 except for the kind of f-ed ending that left me all mad about it for weeks.

Id have to agree, those are my top 2 favorite books.

Then its the whole Area51 Series by Robert Doherty, iv read an own them all.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
MrJingles

If you like Forgotten Realms books, you may like to try 'The Icewind Dale' books. Started off with (I think),a trilogy collectively known as 'The Icewind Dale Trilogy', and carried on with around another fifteen books following the adventures of the characters within. Theyre by R. A. Salvatore, and amongst the best books Ive ever read. Especially once the Dark Elves of Menzoberantan (Think thats the name, been a long time), really come into it.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I would have to say that it was a toss up between A Happy Death and Thus Speak Zarathustra as those were the ones that changed the way that I think about things.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hehe guess what my answer is.

By far, the Bible. Bestest book I've ever read. I'm only 26, so I may come across another which is better, but I highly doubt it. Never have I read a book where each time I read through even a chapter I discover new things in there I hadn't seen or noticed before. It's like an infinite onion, every time I peel back a layer, there's another one beneath.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I would have to say it's a series of books, not one individual book.

Stephen King's Gunslinger series. With the last book in the series being the Best.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Any Tom Clancy, J.D. Robb, Clive Cussler, Jean Auel, Michael Chrichton, Patricia Cornwell, all great.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join