It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Republicans Will Allow People to Openly Carry Guns at its State Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
File this one under "What could possibly go wrong"

The Republican Party of Texas will allow people to carry guns at their state convention, according to the Dallas Morning News. Both open and concealed carry of firearms will be permitted at Texas State Convention in May, officials confirmed.

www.rawstory.com...

Grab your popcorn folks, this could be an exciting event chock full of fireworks. On a more serious note, what in the hell are these morons thinking? All it takes is one mentally ill individual to cause mass carnage. I hope everything works out smoothly; however, I fear that this may be a harsh learning lesson in the field of "just because you have a right does not mean you need to exercise it perpetually". Thoughts?
edit on 30-3-2016 by WeDemBoyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Curious to know if the actual facility they have chosen will allow it. I'd doubt they could force the convention center to allow it, so it sounds like another publicity stunt. Then they can say, "hey look, we were going to allow it, but the facility balked." All the while knowing damn well the facility was never going to allow it.
edit on 30-3-2016 by usernameconspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Everyone knows that Texans are ALREADY armed at all functions, including BBQ's and shopping @ malls

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well we know the odds of a 'mas shooting' are extremely small.

Might just be a lesson to learn from open carry.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I'm giving you a star and a flag for filing this under "What can go wrong"

Great

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

This is a party with members who preach utterly insane nonsense about all teachers being armed, and you think they should be able to get away with the disgusting hypocrisy of banning guns at their own events?

The same with TRUMP.

How the hell can any Conservative not slap themselves in the face over this hypocrisy?

Every NRA-backed Conservative event in the country should be FORCED UNDER LAW to allow guns, every form of firearm, and they should be forced to accept that until they stop being so disgustingly hypocritical.

Conservatives don't get to rant about the rest of the country wanting gun free zones, no guns in schools or gun control laws, while refusing guns at their own f-ing events.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The Republican Party conventions are no different than going to a outdoor sports store, or a Twin Peaks restaurant. I would be more worried seeing SWAT teams hanging around than seeing armed citizens.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is all I thought of when I read this thread:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

The Republican Party conventions are no different than going to a outdoor sports store, or a Twin Peaks restaurant.

Is it really no different? Really?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ha! Aw, Butters, what happened. & looks like he brought a shotgun to a pistol fight.

Anyway, this whole narrative is pretty funny. And the fact that the petition that got this all going was most likely just baiting by liberals to expose the idiocy of the birthday-cake-in-the-shape-of-a-gun conservative crowd.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

You gotta watch the end of the most recent season.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Everyone knows that Texans are ALREADY armed at all functions, including BBQ's and shopping @ malls

Damned skippy, I have a .45 ACP with a spare mag on my hip right now at work.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

On the one hand, the risk is completely unknown.

On the other hand, the worst that could happen is a massive shootout involving the people we like the least.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I think that you appear to have a limited view on the reality of how many people currently carry concealed weapons all over the US that are full of people.

Just because people have weapons doesn't mean that anything bad will happen. Of course, it doesn't mean it won't, either, but to hinge your whole point on the what-if-a-mentally-ill-person-blah-blah-blahed is based on unfounded fear. I'm not saying that it's not a sane thought to have enter your head, but I don't think that it's anything to worry about.

But, please understand that my experiences here in KY where I know plenty who always carry concealed and I've seen some that I don't know carrying openly for all to see have all amounted to zero problems. Same when I lived in TN...but like I said, that doesn't mean that something won't happen, but I think that it's ideological fear more than anything that may be driving your concern.

And I would bet money that, if gun fire does erupt, it will be from a protestor first. But it's a good thing that I'm not generally a bettin' man.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz

The Republican Party of Texas will allow people to carry guns at their state convention, according to the Dallas Morning News. Both open and concealed carry of firearms will be permitted at Texas State Convention in May, officials confirmed.

www.rawstory.com...

Grab your popcorn folks, this could be an exciting event chock full of fireworks. On a more serious note, what in the hell are these morons thinking? All it takes is one mentally ill individual to cause mass carnage. I hope everything works out smoothly; however, I fear that this may be a harsh learning lesson in the field of "just because you have a right does not mean you need to exercise it perpetually". Thoughts?

Yes, just like every time a state legislature votes to mandate "shall issue" laws for concealed carry, the result is blood running in the streets. And just like every time a state legislature votes to allow open carry, the result is blood in the streets. And just like every time a state legislature votes to allow open or concealed carry without a license, the result is blood in the streets. The only streets running with blood are in cities and states with draconian anti-gun laws. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

"All it takes is one mentally ill individual to cause mass carnage." Clearly it has escaped your notice that a mentally ill individual is not going to give a rip that some law says he/she is not allowed to carry a gun where it's prohibited. Said individual can bring a gun to an event just as easily whether the location is declared a gun-free zone or not. He/she does not care what the law says. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Over there's a theater that is posted as gun-free. Over here is another one that isn't posted. The gun-free one is farther away but the mentally ill individual sees the "gun-free" part as an overwhelming advantage over the closer location. Gee, should he/she choose the one with the greater probability he/she will find people able to put up armed resistance to slaughter, or should he/she choose the one where there's little likelihood of finding said resistance?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

What's truly disgusting is that there will be people who will be disappointed if nothing happens.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What's truly disgusting is that there will be people who will be disappointed if nothing happens.

"So they'll learn".

Its a George Lopez stand up bit that nails it on the head. We have a rather sizable segment of our population that is willing to do bad things to people that they think need to learn a lesson. An example: someone who lets the baby grap the hot pan "so they'll learn".

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How authentic is the message, if the answer has to be artificially created?

top topics

join