It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina Owns the Falklands....!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

I'm sure that behind the UN declaration is a decision to return the Falklands to Argentina....

How can you return something to someone who never owned it?

The Right to Self-Determination is one of the core principles of the UN Charter.

In the recent referendum on this the Falkland Islanders voted almost unanimously to remain a British overseas territory.
As long as they wish to remain so then they will so regardless of anything anyone may have to say on the matter.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Normally territorial waters are decided by the continental shelve around the country claiming ownership. In this case the decision by the UN is that the Argentine continental shelve encompasses the Falkland Islands.

I did notice that the oil fields currently being drilled, well the ones that have proven to hold at least a billion barrels, are now in Argentine waters. There could be trouble ahead.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Take away the large fish stocks and the promise of big oil in the Falklands ridge, the Argentinian would forgot the Falklands inside 12 hours.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
People need to stop this childish play, the endangering of others and start doing something useful for their community and start improving their own lives, instead of always wanting to seek conflict because of pride and guilt of things they did not do. Live and let live.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnSmith77
People need to stop this childish play, the endangering of others and start doing something useful for their community and start improving their own lives, instead of always wanting to seek conflict because of pride and guilt of things they did not do. Live and let live.

Who is playing childish?
The historically established Falklands people voted overwhelmingly for British centric self-determination. Do you agree with democracy?

Who is seeking conflict? Certainly not the UK, but it will defend the islanders if they face conflict from Argentina. Do you disagree with self defence and defending your family against attackers?
edit on 31.3.2016 by grainofsand because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

No, they haven't.
This is a UN Commission, it has absolutely no say in any policy making.
Even if it did, the UN stands by the right of self determination. The Falkland Islanders have already stated that they are British, they wish to remain British, and their Falklands will remain theirs regardless of any Commission claiming otherwise.

The waters around their territory will also forever be recognized as theirs and theirs alone.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Not at 300 miles from the coast it doesn't.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Not at 300 miles from the coast it doesn't.

Yeah, Argentina has nothing, and will continue to have nothing regarding the Falklands.
The people voted with an overwhelming result to be part of a UK based family where mutual protection is agreed in the event of attack from a third party.
Argentina knows this, and is just bleating like a lost lamb on the hillside as all it can do.
The rest of us remember the victims of 1982 with solemnity, while also chuckling at the silly claims which Argentina can in no way enforce in 2016 lol.
edit on 31.3.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

British. Thanks

edit on 31-3-2016 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter
My wireless is not showing the clip....ill be back after dark to check it out.....
This thread has been an absolutely marvey read though.....such a variety of thoughts...

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Ah yes... 1982.

Not the best example of the US supporting an ally.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

XCathdra sorted it

edit on 1-4-2016 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

To do youtube links only use the text that comes after the = in the url. In this case you would use "Z_cdast5WU8". Click the youtube tab, copy/paste in the segment after the = and voila.

edit on 1-4-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Cheers Xcathdra

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Ah yes... 1982.

Not the best example of the US supporting an ally.

Well, the Sidewinder air-to-air missiles and Stinger hand-held missiles were certainly a help, plus logistics support from the US base on Ascension Island.
Britain took help from whoever offered it, the Chilean long range radar made a massive difference, and explains why Thatcher supported the despot Pinochet after the conflict.

Argentina invaded, they lost, and haven't stopped whining about it.
The Falkland islanders have since voted overwhelmingly to remain British, and the UK will defend them from hostile attack again, if Argentina ever decide to be stupid again.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I was referring to our initial response to the UK by trying to play both sides of the street. There never should have been any debate / discussion on which country to support to begin with.

edit on 1-4-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I was referring to our initial response to the UK by trying to play both sides of the street. There never should have been any debate / discussion on which country to support to begin with.

Ah, agreed, nice to hear it from the US side

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Been doing a lot of looking to this recently as a slew of videos have shown up on You Tube.

At the end of the day it seems Argentina has yet another financial crises - and oh Problem Reaction Solution - Malvinas solves the problem.

Or does it ?

To mount ANOTHER all out offensive on the Falklands would - Im afraid result in another catastrophic war for a belegured economy. Ok we couldn't stage the same armada we did before - but we don't need to this time. Our weapons sytems are much more mature and the Garrison there is fortified beyond belief (from testimony of pals I have who have rotated through)

Its a talking war at best - ironically Argentinians ares visiting the islands as tourists - and visiting war graves - which serves to remind them.

To believe we would give up the islands today - given the graves that are there is like saying we would surrender Ypres to the Germans.

Only my belief but Im afraid before the War it might have happened - today I would hope our resolve is even stronger -

Civis Britanis Sum

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Oh, then perhaps you should make a point

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
You might consider me simple for saying this but how about we let the citizens of the disputed territory decide which nation they are part of?

Just my 2 cents

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join