It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina Owns the Falklands....!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
According to a UN decision the Argentines have gained 35% more off shore waters.....including the |Falklands islands....

Falkland Islands ARE In Argentina, According To United Nations

A ruling by a UN commission has expanded Argentine maritime territory in the South Atlantic Ocean by 35% to include the disputed islands.

The decision will be key in Argentina’s dispute with Britain over the islands.

Argentina’s foreign ministry said its waters had increased by 0.66 million square miles.

It lost a war in 1982 with Britain over the South Atlantic archipelago that Latin Americans call the Malvinas.

But the UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf backed Argentina’s 2009 report that fixed the limit of its territory at 200 to 350 miles from its coast.

I don't think Brits will just go along with this ruling....In fact I think I hear the drums beating....
During the last go round...nuclear armed submarines were lurking under the fridgid southern atlantic just in case......
Argentina will not get the Falklands back if Britain has anything say about it...
Britain has a historic presence there, and the residents have voted to stick with Britain....
I look to a heavy rearming of the islands to withstand another Argentine thrust to take them.....with a nuclear armed sub constantly circling in the south atlantic just in case.....

edit on 30-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)
uk.yahoo.com...

What do you British think of this turn?
Having shed the blood of the British forces to retake it last time...I doubt you want to give it up without a serious fight....what say you?

edit on 30/3/16 by JustMike because: I closed out the "ex" tags so they'd work properly and the member's own comments would not be incuded within them.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
UN Charter supersedes all else, in regards to all UN activities.

I think self determination is going to trump continental shelf reports.

Sounds more like a major issue for the UN to sort out, internally, long before it becomes an added issue to the UK/Argentina/Falklands debate.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

This is the problem with the UN. They make decisions with no authority what so ever. They ARE NOT a governing body. We are a world of sovereign nations, some more than others.

These UN oligarchs will be butting heads with national oligarchs often me thinks.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

The UN has no authority, it trumps nothing. I don't recall the vote giving our nation's decisions over to the UN, do you?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
The UN has no authority, it trumps nothing. I don't recall the vote giving our nation's decisions over to the UN, do you?

Yes.

Right after the officials WE ELECTED ratified (which means the MAJORITY of the officials WE ELECTED agreed on this) binding agreements.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Please direct me to where National sovereignty is given up?

I know they serve a position of arbitration between member nations, but not the final word...that is absurd and goes against our Constitution I'd think...not being a constitutional scholar myself.
edit on 30-3-2016 by BlueJacket because: eta

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The concensus of our British members as to whos gonna get the Falklands is what im after here.....
Will Britain give up her citizens to Argentine rule?
I DONT BELIEVE THIS WLL WASH

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
UK and Argentina have no say in it.

Only people that do are the Falklanders. Which, I'm just spit-balling here, is going to leave it as is.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I agree that the British I know will not take to this, heck they fought a war over them....recently
edit on 30-3-2016 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Please direct me to where National sovereignty is given up?

I know they serve a position of arbitration between member nations, but not the final word...that is absurd and goes against our Constitution I'd think...not being a constitutional scholar myself.

I never claimed that the UN had the final word. Learn to read better.

I claimed that the UN laws on self determination will trump a UN continental shelf report, which would leave the decision up to the residents of the nation in question, which would be the Falkland Islands.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Is there a need to be rude?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yeah, it's an amusing joke more than anything, the Falkland Islanders have voted to remain UK centric, the UK government backs them, and in turn it is likely that a vast majority of British citizens back the government regarding the Falklands.
Many families were affected by events in 1982, indeed I remember the relief as a child when my older brother came back from fighting there.

Non-story, Argentina is just an annoying whinging flea at best, they've got nothing, and they shall be getting nothing in the future.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Is there a need to be rude?

Since you were incapable of reading and understanding my first post...yes.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
No it doesn't. The UN can get lost. Since when does anything they say mean anything to anyone?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Another reason why britain needs to leave the EU!! Now the UN want to give whats ours away, want to share in our military technologies which the tax payer has forked a bomb shell on. And we have to pay millions of ££££ Just to stay in the EU!! I say we vote out and close the boarders now, before its too late!!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

That is a pretty piss poor report. The actual findings are not binding and refer to water close to the islands, not the islands themselves. Way to be sensationalist - the Argentinians just want to steal the oil, some would call that modern day piracy....

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
The concensus of our British members as to whos gonna get the Falklands is what im after here.....
Will Britain give up her citizens to Argentine rule?
I DONT BELIEVE THIS WLL WASH

It is up to the Falklanders, surely? They voted recently with a turnout of 91.4% (fecking huge in any democracy) and voted 99.8% to stay in Britain. I'm pretty sure there were no troops forcing people to vote for the UK because they don't need to!!!!!!. My son was there (in the army) according to him it's as British as anywhere in the UK....even the sheep but as bleak as the highlands of Scotland (which reminds me should the UK/Scotland hand over the Shetlands's to Norway and Denmark hand over the Faroes to the UK and do the French have a claim on the channel Islands especially since all the street names and towns are French!)

Now, given ATS members propensity for whining about MSM. How about the Argentinian media that suppresses all stories produced by Argentinians who have visited the Falklands who say they can't believe how British it is and how NOBODY wants to be part of Argentina. A message that undermines successive Argentinian presidents from playing the Malvinas card when their popularity is waning.
edit on 30/3/2016 by yorkshirelad because: incomplete

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

But surely due to the fact that the population is transplanted and of British origin it's not quite that straight forward?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100
a reply to: yorkshirelad

But surely due to the fact that the population is transplanted and of British origin it's not quite that straight forward?

There was no indigenous Argentinian population on the Falklands.
It is straightforward, the established population of the islands have obvious claim to self-determination under any flag they see fit, something they voted for with an overwhelming majority not too long ago.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

We don't have a nuclear weapon sub in the area, we have a nuclear powered sub on patrol with normal weapons but it doesn't have any nuclear weapons on board as its part of some treaty that says in that area no ones allowed nukes.

Plus if we have a type 45 down there it can pretty much sit in port and take out most of the Argentinian airforce without even having to pull up anchor

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join