It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former MP Jean Lapierre and family among seven dead in plane crash on Îles-de-la-Madeleine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

For all his hobnobbing with premiers and prime ministers for whom he was a sounding board that they ignored at their own peril, Jean Lapierre never lost sight of the little guy.

In fact, his zeal for taking the pulse of “le vrai monde,” was such that Lapierre — the politician turned pundit — once spent an entire election campaign touring Quebec in a recreational vehicle so he could talk to Quebecers hiding from the din of politics in campgrounds and provincial parks.

On Tuesday, Lapierre’s familiar “Salut, salut,” greeting fell tragically silent when he and members of his family — his wife Nicole Beaulieu, brothers Marc Lapierre and Louis Lapierre and sister Martine Lapierre — were killed in a plane crash on les Îles-de-la-Madeleine.

Former MP Jean Lapierre and family among seven dead in plane crash on Îles-de-la-Madeleine

He was traveling to the island on an MU2B private aircraft for his father's funeral. Questions are being raised as to why they even attempted the flight to begin with. The regular air service was canceled due to high winds. The aircraft dove into the ground short of the runway and broke apart. One person survived the impact but died at the hospital.

Witnesses say there was high wind, rain, and fog at the time of the crash.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That's horrible. A whole family lost ...my heart pours out to any of their family members left behind. I can't even imagine the amount of grief losing that many at once.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A controversial figure but a person who had his finger on the pulse of Quebecers. He will be sorely missed. My condolences to the remaining family members and their many friends as well as those of the other victims of this tragedy.

Family bonds are especially strong to Canadiennes and sometimes this may overrule common sense when it comes to "being there" for the family.

My heart and soul goes out to those who are suffering at this time of loss.

Je ma souviens

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

He was traveling to the island on an MU2B private aircraft for his father's funeral. Questions are being raised as to why they even attempted the flight to begin with. The regular air service was canceled due to high winds. The aircraft dove into the ground short of the runway and broke apart. One person survived the impact but died at the hospital.

Zaphod, I'm curious if you came across this on an aviation forum since the MU2 is fairly well-known for being hard to handle in crosswind situations, what with the spoilers in place of ailerons....

Best wishes to the family and friends, and may the departed rest in peace.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

they were trying to get to their fathers funeral...I can't even imagine such a loss.....

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Talk about skimming the gene-pool...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

It was a headline on one of the aviation news sites I visit.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Many of the laws and commentates of the opinion molders and the view shapers in the media are beginning to have their desired effect. They will be very heartened by this news.

They've all got their ticket, have you got yours?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The regular air service was canceled due to high winds. The aircraft dove into the ground short of the runway and broke apart. One person survived the impact but died at the hospital.

Lapierre was an ex transport minister. It is probable the pressure was very high on the pilots to go to Lapierre's father funeral as scheduled.

The crash occurred during landing approach, the meteorological conditions were execrable. The pilots should have returned to the departure point, st-Hubert airport.

edit on 2016-3-30 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
You did not Say it so I will.
plain on auto pilot, all people past out.
some one killed them.
did he have a chanse to win a election??
"The aircraft dove into the ground short of the runway"

edit on 30-3-2016 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
As a dedicated watcher of Canadian news, I'm going to miss Jean Lapierre as a regular panelist. His sense of humour and insightful reflections were a bright light on difficult interprovincial issues.

All of Canada will miss him.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Update by the TSB.

www.tsb.gc.ca...

The aircraft was wings level, slightly nose high at impact, and the engines were producing power.

top topics

join