It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-Clergy Militants Arrested for Attacking Students in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Is there a possibility that the new cases of anti-Iranian government/pro democracy protests in Iran may be a CIA led overthrow attempt?

Iran is obviously on the US "to do" list, and they have a very powerful vote on OPEC. Iran has publicly indicated, along side Iraq, thier interest in switching the oil standard currency to the Euro.

Maybe they have decided to take Iran with internal revolution to avoid the public backlash and problems with justification for a complete military engagement with Iran. (Although a military engagement is the backup plan, and I am sure we have contingency plans in place to justify one).

TEHRAN, Iran � Police on Saturday arrested dozens of pro-clergy militants who smashed their way into university dormitories and beat up sleeping students in a wave of violence aimed at putting down protests against Iran's Islamic government.

The arrests appeared to be an attempt by Iran's ruling hard-line clerics to rein in their militant supporters, reflecting fears that the violence might only stoke the past week's anti-government protests, which were the largest in months.

The Islamic regime is worried about alienating a restive public at a time when the United States has stepped up pressure against Tehran (search) over its nuclear program and alleged links to the Al Qaeda terror network.

In Washington, the White House called on Iran to "protect the human rights of the students

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I heard about this from an Iranian friend of mine about 5 years ago in his words a majority of Iranians thought the religious clerics were out of touch with reality.

Its really just a matter of time the Iranian military will not support the clerics

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I posted on this topic yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Iran is probably the most interesting country to watch in the world right now. Give it one more week of demonstrations and change will definitely be in the air. Things will have gone to far for the regime to go back to it's old ways.

But I don't see it as being as disorganised as a revolution. I reckon the Iranian regime knows exactly what it is doing. It's still got full control of what's going on at the moment. Whether or not it will maintain it is another question but I believe that Iran has been preparing for this time with the appointment of it's moderate, reformist president a couple of years ago.

Hopefully this is the start of the handover of power to the moderate civilian government.

I found this link regarding the identity of the "militants" which the regime seems to be cracking down on.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Confuses the situation even more to the onlooker doesn't it?

And some emails that the BBC says are coming out of Iran at the moment.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[Edited on 15-6-2003 by Leveller]

join