It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Joecanada11

Gods judgement was righteous.

Deuteronomy 12:30-32 do not fall into the trap of following their customs and worshiping their gods. Do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How do these nations worship their gods? I want to follow their example.’ You must not worship the Lord your God the way the other nations worship their gods, for they perform for their gods every detestable act that the Lord hates. They even burn their sons and daughters as sacrifices to their gods. “So be careful to obey all the commands I give you. You must not add anything to them or subtract anything from them.

God is doing exactly as I would expect him to do.

Leviticus 20:1-2 The Lord said to Moses, “Give the people of Israel these instructions, which apply both to native Israelites and to the foreigners living in Israel. “If any of them offer their children as a sacrifice to Molech, they must be put to death. The people of the community must stone them to death.

Perhaps you favor pedophilia and child sacrifice?

Perhaps you know nothing of what you speak.

source

You do realize that only means something if you believe it.

If that's all you got - - - why bother talking with an atheist at all?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

You're only looking at it the way you want to.
Not the way it is.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

i like the challenge?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I am looking at it from a logical point of view.
Logic seems the be the thing believers fear the most.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I see organised religion as the ruling casts attempt at control. Lets face it most religions are laced with control constructs designed to make you follow the rules laid out in what amounts to nothing more than a collection of books, written by Man, with all his fears and fallibility at play.

The do this, or do that mentality or some omnipotent being who is supposed to have unconditional love for your soul but will somehow punish you for all eternity should you not quite have performed to a predefined standard laid out in a book just does not sit right with me.

I do however entertain the notion that there is indeed a form of existence after we have shuffled of our mortal coil down to the fact that energy cannot be lost but only change form.

Think of it this way, we cannot be sure that life exists anywhere else in the universe, yet given the sheer scale and volume of the cosmos, and the fact that life seems to follow the rule of infinite diversity in infinite combinations it would be sheer arrogance in the extreme to assume we are the only ones around.

End of the day humanity is only really beginning to scratch the surface regarding our understanding of what consciousness actually is never mind where it resides. So who is to say what happens to our collection of experiences and meaningful interactions once our meat sack has reached its expiration date?

Personally these days i find myself leaning towards the holographic principle with regards to how our universe or our perception of such actually functions and point of fact once we are able to determine individual units of Planck we may indeed be able to prove that our universe is a simulation.
edit on 7-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84

I am looking at it from a logical point of view.
Logic seems the be the thing believers fear the most.

On the contrary, it would be highly illogical if a Creator could not
destroy his creation and start over if it displeased him.
So your're wrong.
edit on Ram40716v29201600000048 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Off course, IF there is an almighty creator he would be able to kill each and everyone again and again.

But we started under the premise that killing people is evil.

So if he kills his own creation he would be considered bad or evil.
Let alone go against his own rule 'though shall not kill'.

edit on 7-4-2016 by svetlana84 because: added 'or evil' secomd last line

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Oh and why would he be displeased in his creation in the first place?

As an almighty being he would be able to create it as he pleases.
If he s not happy with the result means he made it horribly wrong.

Accountability.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

If the killing of evil people, who burn their own children is evil?
Where is your logic in that? What kind of human being is that?

As an almighty being he would be able to create it as he pleases. If he s not happy with the result means he made it horribly wrong.

Not at all.
And if you bothered to find for yourself, you'd know why?
edit on Ram40716v47201600000042 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Annee

i like the challenge?

Well its one sided.

Unless you have something actual to say.

Scripture? Might as well be a blank page.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Unless of course in the building of his/her creation he managed to create a superior version that did not want to be destroyed and had the ability to resist such destruction.

Which is probably exactly what humanity will accomplish once we manage to create/grow/build and artificial intelligence that supersedes our own and learns at an exponential rate.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Unless of course in the building of his/her creation he managed to create a superior version that did not want to be destroyed and had the ability to resist such destruction.

Which is probably exactly what humanity will accomplish once we manage to create/grow/build and artificial intelligence that supersedes our own and learns at an exponential rate.

"A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.

The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.

The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.

All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.

All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.

There is no remembrance of former things,
nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be among those who come after."

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

According to the bible he did not only kill 'people who burn their children' but everyone on this planet, except the passengers aboard Noah s arch.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Yes. According to the Bible and over two hundred other accounts from cultures the world over.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

There obviously was not only one ark through or Noah must have built it out of adamantium considering the sheer size and volume that would be required so as to allow 2 of each animals accommodation.

Think the Noah's ark and other parables pertaining to the ancient flood mythos are accounts of humanity surviving ancient natural disasters as apposed to Gods wrath and destruction.

I just cant imagine any benevolent creator doing such a thing to his own creation.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

So you agree that god is an evil genocidal mass murderer,
but still worship him?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Comparatively speaking the God of the old testament, compared to the God of the new testament do seem to be diametrically opposed with regards to there treatment and views on Humanity.

Almost as if they are two separate entity's.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I agree, old an new testament are two completely different books.

Which makes it even more difficult to believe the whole story.

It s kinda funny how the catholic church treats the issue: often they tend to focus on the new testament. Every time i bring up the horrible passages of the old testament ( condoning slavery, stoning, an eye for an eye etc.)

They (the catholics) resort to: old testament is not that important anymore.
Of course completely denying that if the OT Would not be important it would mean that genesis is not important, the 10 commandments either.
And the biggest point: if the bible would be the book of god, i would expect believers to follw the whole word/book of god and not cherry picking parts of it.

All in all, as stated above (and proven in the following discussion): logic is something they fear.

But i guess humanity is inherently stupid, including myself still believing that arguing with believers would lead to somewhere ;-)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I feel that the stone agers were not so caught up with religious policing as some of the religious are today. Also they were not into politics which govern religious or run intrinsically with it so Stone agers were free in their ideals and I suspect what we call religion would seem alien to their world-view.

My family is a multi religious one and over the years I have seen more disillusionment settle in although we go through the usual younger ones getting into it and then getting out of it.

From what I have read ancient people lived their lives through the cosmos and their astrologers were held in great respect over a very long time. Their relation and awareness of the spiritual side of the earth and everything on it is now becoming a reality as we get into the new ideas that the earth has its own intelligent design features etc so perhaps the old views - which we call religious ones today may concur with the scientific research now going on and be far closer to the truth than we have put up with for the last couple of thousand years. (How any sane person can think one God/man sitting on a heavenly throne can conduct the affairs of a whole planet is …… When I heard the local priest say he calls god his literal Daddy, I realised the guy has his own little world where his ego abounds only).

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

They certainly knew a lot more about astronomy, mathematics and construction techniques than we give them credit for.

As is evidenced by the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza or Ancient stones laid at Baalbek.

We are only being to fathom how they built such structures.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join