It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: spy66

Much appreciated. 'Cause, I'm on Team Annee.

Okay, didnt know that, sorry

But i did say she was probably not alone. And there you are

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

originally posted by: Annee

You completely dismiss I was raised Christian, researched, and became knowledgeable of fact vs myth.

Why? Because Faith isn't knowledge.

What is it then? Believing a myth that has no factual support?

Believing a book that's a compilation of man chosen ancient mistranslated scripts with a smattering of questionable historical "facts"?

A historical novel is fiction with real historical facts mixed in. Should I claim faith from reading Gone With The Wind?

No, You are missing the point.

NO, I'm not.

What ever you say. Non of us can help you any way.

Why do you continue to try to keep pushing religion on me?

I don't want it. I have zero interest.

I am not pushing religion on you. I have said that religion is a political concept of truths and lies basically. God does not need you to fallow a religious concept to know that he exists. Human society does. There are many people With faith and they need to be guided and controlled.

God/Religion. Same thing.

Its laughable those who think its OK to push God and claim its not religion.

It is not really the same thing, when religion is being controlled by human authority.
Because then, religion is not related to God but to the authority that controlles it. Human authority use religion to controll you even if you dont beleive in it.

God is a creation of man.

There is no difference.

Man have created many Things. But man have never created God. Man have claimed idols and objects to be God(s)... big difference.

Man creates god in his own image. Christianity has the Father, Mother Mary, and son Jesus. In other words, a nuclear family which mirrors the culture in which it is believed. Go to India and there are many gods, reflecting the culture that is matrilineal, with "uncle" as the patriarch. It's not a nuclear family at all, but based much more on descent through women. And guess what? The gods are arranged the same way. Wherever you go, in any society or culture in the world, the gods of that culture look like they came from that culture.

That you believe in your own culture's gods is simply a reflection of your indoctrination in that culture. You believe YOUR god is the "right" one because your Mommy and Daddy told you so at an impressionable age when you believed everything they said. It doesn't reflect any sort of reality at all, as anyone from another culture who views your strange beliefs can tell you. That you cannot see that and insist on your culture's gods as being the only right ones is, quite frankly, part of the insanity of such beliefs.
edit on 4/10/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

What you support or not changes nothing.

So much for trying to have a polite conversation.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

You completely dismiss I was raised Christian, researched, and became knowledgeable of fact vs myth.

Believing a book that's a compilation of man chosen ancient mistranslated scripts with a smattering of questionable historical "facts"?

A historical novel is fiction with real historical facts mixed in. Should I claim faith from reading Gone With The Wind?

NO, I'm not.

I am not pushing religion on you. I have said that religion is a political concept of truths and lies basically. God does not need you to fallow a religious concept to know that he exists. Human society does. There are many people With faith and they need to be guided and controlled.

It is not really the same thing, when religion is being controlled by human authority.
Because then, religion is not related to God but to the authority that controlles it. Human authority use religion to controll you even if you dont beleive in it.

There is no difference.

Man have created many Things. But man have never created God. Man have claimed idols and objects to be God(s)... big difference.

Man creates god in his own image. Christianity has the Father, Mother Mary, and son Jesus. In other words, a nuclear family which mirrors the culture in which it is believed. Go to India and there are many gods, reflecting the culture that is matrilineal, with "uncle" as the patriarch. It's not a nuclear family at all, but based much more on descent through women. And guess what? The gods are arranged the same way. Wherever you go, in any society or culture in the world, the gods of that culture look like they came from that culture.

That you believe in your own culture's gods is simply a reflection of your indoctrination in that culture. You believe YOUR god is the "right" one because your Mommy and Daddy told you so at an impressionable age when you believed everything they said. It doesn't reflect any sort of reality at all, as anyone from another culture who views your strange beliefs can tell you. That you cannot see that and insist on your culture's gods as being the only right ones is, quite frankly, part of the insanity of such beliefs.

If you have read my replies. You would probably notice that my mom or dad did not explaine God to me the way i have.

What i have explained dont relate to any of the other Gods you mention.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

What you support or not changes nothing.

So much for trying to have a polite conversation.

Sorry if you take it that way. But the fact is.... what you support does not change anything.

Just like what i have told you means nothing to you. And it actually doesnt change anything. We are still disagreeing and we always will be. Because we dont share the same knowledge nor do we agreen on it.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

If you have read my replies. You would probably notice that my mom or dad did not explaine God to me the way i have.

Don't take it personally. I don't care about YOUR Mom or Dad. I'm simply relating to you and others how beliefs percolate through a culture. You believe what you believe through the lens of your culture which, ONE WAY or another, taught you that. It's not an objective reality. If you had grown up in a completely different culture, you would profess beliefs about gods in relation to that culture. There is nothing special or inherently "true" about your beliefs.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Don't take it personally. I don't care about YOUR Mom or Dad. I'm simply relating to you and others how beliefs percolate through a culture. You believe what you believe through the lens of your culture which, ONE WAY or another, taught you that. It's not an objective reality. If you had grown up in a completely different culture, you would profess beliefs about gods in relation to that culture. There is nothing special or inherently "true" about your beliefs.

Right - - I usually say I was assimilated into the Christian religion - - not raised in it.

As I got older I began to question it because it really doesn't make any sense.

I do enjoy the energy euphoria when people congregate. But, you get the same thing at a sports event. It is not God you feel.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

I see you have not read my earlier replies. I dont beleive in a religion. I beleive in God....that is a big difference. My beleif in God is not related to any culture. And you would have known that if you had read my replies.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

I see you have not read my earlier replies. I dont beleive in a religion. I beleive in God....that is a big difference. My beleif in God is not related to any culture. And you would have known that if you had read my replies.

I don't care about your beliefs. What you believe and how you came to believe it is immaterial to me. But yes, indeed, they were created out of your culture. You needn't profess a given offshoot of some religion for that to be true. Your culture put the idea of "God" into your head and it stuck. You are not in any way unique or special in that regard. To deny that is absurd. This is not about you. It's about answering the OP about the nature of belief. Though you are an excellent example of what I'm talking about, I'm not answering you; I'm answering the thread. Why is that so hard to understand?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

I don't care about your beliefs. But yes, indeed, they were created out of your culture. You are not in any way unique or special in that regard. To deny that is absurd. This is not about you. It's about answering the OP. Why is that so hard to understand?

You are right, I would be the founder of this particular culture, because there is no others who share my view.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

I don't care about your beliefs. But yes, indeed, they were created out of your culture. You are not in any way unique or special in that regard. To deny that is absurd. This is not about you. It's about answering the OP. Why is that so hard to understand?

You are right, I would be the founder of this particular culture, because there is no others who share my view.

Nonsense. Your beliefs are typical.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

How would you know. You dont know why i believe.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

It doesn't matter. You have a bad case of "It's all about me! me! me!"

I know you're a special little snowflake and all, but the title of this thread is: "Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?" And from what I've seen, you do not fit in that category. So that begs the question, doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The old myths are obsolete

Religion from the highest level is mythology

Motifs and themes of cosmic science put in primitive form to primitive people.

Even though we may have advanced intellectually, we're still primitive, though, morally and ethically, so we are still in a level of Hell.

The old myths are now transparent and have been all interpreted.

But that’s only intellectually.

Some of the old myths, I’ll interpret for the forum:

Garden of Eden: An aspect of the Soul that relates to higher states of consciousness.

Some of the Myths for this are Mary the Virgin and Mary Magdalene. Jesus and the 12 disciples

Fall of Man: The lost of inner control of this Garden

Jesus dying on the Cross:

Represents the fall of humans into the corrupted state of controlled ignorance.

Jesus’ rise from that cross represents the possibility that any human can rise above the fall of the soul.

The Western Religions= three Conundrums

Judaism: has come to represent the aspect of family and nation

Christianity: Represents the humans fight with death

Islam: represents the human dilemma of war and peace

These are just a few

edit on 10-4-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

NO, I'm not.

There is no difference.

It doesn't matter. You have a bad case of "It's all about me! me! me!"

I know you're a special little snowflake and all, but the title of this thread is: "Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?" And from what I've seen, you do not fit in that category. So that begs the question, doesn't it?

I Guess they have their reasons. But you dont share them. Live With it flake. There is not a damn thing you can do about it.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I Guess they have their reasons. But you dont share them. Live With it flake. There is not a damn thing you can do about it.

"Flake"?? You look at YOUR writing and MINE and call ME a flake? You ARE deluded! You can't even write a grammatical sentence! As far as there being a "damn thing I can do about it" that has never been the issue, nor does your response add to your credibility. You are not being responsive to the thread. It's not about that special little world you've created for yourself, nor do I even want to change what people believe. I do find it an interesting study in self-deception. What I CAN do about it is discuss it with people who have at least some understanding of the issues involved and can contribute to these ideas in a meaningful way. Given what I have seen, that would not include yourself. None of my following comments have the remotest thing to do with you and your obsession with your own beliefs.

My basic contention in this thread is that your culture determines what you believe. I trust I have laid that out in sufficient detail that I need not belabor that point any further. Religion is cultural truth, not intrinsic truth. But belief systems encompass more than just your choice of religions and their off-shoots. After all, there's not much difference between Methodism and Congregationalism. They're all into the God and Jesus trip, just variations on the theme arguing over the number of angels on the head of a pin. But the culture itself is bigger than that. It includes, for example, rationalism, the idea that the whole religion thing is utter crap, more along the lines of the OP's opening statement. The belief that there is NO God is just as much a belief as that there is. Atheism, as a religion, has made great inroads into Western Culture since the Enlightenment. It powers our science and our response to our environment. We didn't get to the Moon or Pluto by believing in God; we got there by cold, hard, unassailable mathematics whose Bible is Principia Mathematica. And there's no doubt that it works because we have visible verifiable results that it does. The real point is that this is also a part of our World View.

The "Big Problem" as I see it is that we believe these two sides of the reality conundrum are mutually excludable. Either one is true, or the other is true, but not both. You can see that in OP's title. How can any EDUCATED person reasonably believe in stone age mythology? Now the really easy answer here is that it's because so-called "educated" people have not studied nor do they understand mythology, as some posters here have tried to show. But there's a bigger answer, too. Pedantic answers that point out "It wasn't the stone age" are irrelevant.

It's because the two belief structures are not mutually excludable at all. They can co-exist without contradiction. I'm not saying I believe stone age mythology is "true" alongside science and rationalism. I'm saying there is a glimmer of truth in stone age mythology. It's just buried in allegory and stories that, if properly translated, can yield as much enlightenment about "True Reality" as science can. And because of the current blinders science insists on wearing, more so.

Every single one of the religious traditions hints at a Force, a Realm, a "place" on the "other side" that is where our higher selves "return" after death. Indeed, MOST of the world, except western culture, believes in reincarnation even as Christianity insists that Christ will return. And if you look around even around here, you don't get very far without personal anecdotes about Aunt Lucy or OBEs, or operating room transcendence. In other words, there is a whole lot of evidence, anecdotally, that this exists. And some of it is as scientific as you can get. It's just that a practicing scientist would be committing professional suicide to pay attention to it.

The bottom line here is that progress in this realm will proceed slowly until a breakthrough takes place. This may come about through advanced physics, where the practitioners are almost expected to be a bit spiritual, or it may come from practitioners in the ITC field who come up with a reliable way to communicate between the two realms. But the point is that if you are an extremist on one side or the other, you owe it to yourself to at least explore the possibility that at a very fundamental level, you may not be right at all.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Bible prophecy has been accurate and true, that is why. It predicted the rise of the Persian empire and the fall of Babylon. It predicted the fall of Persia to the Greeks, and even predicted Alexander's empire would be split into four kingdoms among his generals. It predicted Greece would fall to Rome, and that Rome would splinter into many Nations until Britain became the predominate world power along with it's eventual ally the United States.

These things are not make believe folks, it is history and the bible predicted it. So I ask, why should any educated person not believe the bible?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TheChrome

Nonsense. It wrote about many of these events after they happened. That isn't prediction that is fraud.

Where in the bible does it predict anything about Britain or the United states or anything at all in he last 2000 years that happened ?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: TheChrome

Nonsense. It wrote about many of these events after they happened. That isn't prediction that is fraud.

Where in the bible does it predict anything about Britain or the United states or anything at all in he last 2000 years that happened ?

The Greek Septuagint version of the Hebrew scriptures is dated to the second century B.C.

The date of the 2nd century BCE is supported (for the Torah translation) by a number of factors, including the Greek being representative of early Koine, citations beginning as early as the 2nd century BCE, and early manuscripts datable to the 2nd century.

en.wikipedia.org...

The start of the Roman Empire is historically dated to 27 B.C., so from that standpoint the Greek Septuagint predates the Roman Empire. So what does the bible say?

Daniel 7:6 “This beast had four heads, and it was given authority to rule.” This beast refers to Greece and correlates to Daniel 8:21,22 “The shaggy goat is the king of Greece, and the large horn between its eyes is the first king (Alexander). The four horns that replaced the one that was broken off represent four kingdoms that will emerge from his nation but will not have the same power. ( Ptolemy, Seleucus, Lysimachus, Cassander)”

Rome replaces Greece at Daniel 7:7 “After that…a fourth beast…It was different than all the other beasts, and it had ten horns.” The ten horns represent the European nations that would arise from Rome.

Then Daniel 7:8 says “there before me was another horn, a little one, which came up among them (the ten); and three of the first horns were uprooted before it.” So among the 10 horns of Rome, Britain first defeated the Spanish Armada in 1588. It went on to subdue the Netherlands and France as well, thereby uprooting 3 horns, and establishing itself as the predominant world power.

edit on 11-4-2016 by TheChrome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Yak, yack, yack.........
Atheism, as a religion, has made great inroads into Western Culture since the Enlightenment. It powers our science and our response to our environment. We didn't get to the Moon or Pluto by believing in God; we got there by cold, hard, unassailable mathematics whose Bible is Principia Mathematica. And there's no doubt that it works because we have visible verifiable results that it does. The real point is that this is also a part of our World View.

[More yak, yak,yak]

Every single one of the religious traditions hints at a Force, a Realm, a "place" on the "other side" that is where our higher selves "return" after death. Indeed, MOST of the world, except western culture, believes in reincarnation even as Christianity insists that Christ will return. And if you look around even around here, you don't get very far without personal anecdotes about Aunt Lucy or OBEs, or operating room transcendence. In other words, there is a whole lot of evidence, anecdotally, that this exists. And some of it is as scientific as you can get. It's just that a practicing scientist would be committing professional suicide to pay attention to it.

The bottom line here is that progress in this realm will proceed slowly until a breakthrough takes place. This may come about through advanced physics, where the practitioners are almost expected to be a bit spiritual, or it may come from practitioners in the ITC field who come up with a reliable way to communicate between the two realms. But the point is that if you are an extremist on one side or the other, you owe it to yourself to at least explore the possibility that at a very fundamental level, you may not be right at all.

And these two sections are where your pontification eats itself. Atheism is not a religion, not now or ever. It is at its mildest a questioning of dogma (this would be closest to Annee's state) At its most strident an absolute declaration: "there are no gods". (my position) or anywhere inbetween. The only commonality is the rejection of gods. All bets are off beyond that.

Science has nothing to do with spiritualism, nothing at all, unless it is science with bias. You can be spiritual AND operate in the scientific sphere, but the two do not mesh overly well.
Science is at its most basic the observation and decoding of "what is". No metaphysical why required.

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join