It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would legal gun ownership protect citizens from a terrorist attack?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

I would rather be free to choose myself.

I cannot even carry a broadsword on my own nations soil. You have no idea how that feels, because you live in a nation which allows for personal defence properly.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah I have to admit, I've carried swords here and no one even cares. Swords are cool man.

I just wish the freedom came with responsibility rather than abandonment of action.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: imjack

I would rather be free to choose myself.

I cannot even carry a broadsword on my own nations soil. You have no idea how that feels, because you live in a nation which allows for personal defence properly.

You've got a good point there.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Well this is the only place I get to show anyone my point! That's precisely the trouble!

As a Celt, I find this circumstance outrageous!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Anyone can be surprised, even a group of people, but where I live in Wyoming..... many people have arsenals. Well.... multiple guns. So if word got out there were some turban wearing yahoos shooting guns at people, they would soon be lead filled yahoos. And not wearing a turban doesn't make you safe.... if you are taking terrorist actions, you will be targeted quickly by the cowboy hat wearing yahoos! (though we don't all wear cowboy hats either!) A gun out of reach is useless, an unloaded rifle or shotgun is a club, an unloaded pistol no better than brass knuckles, a loaded gun you don't keep safe control over is a weapon that can be used against you or someone you love. Try showing love or using diplomacy with a terrorist and you end up a victim. If that was going to work it would have needed to be used far earlier.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
Unless the public are all going to start the practice of concealed or open carry I can't imagine they would protect much people from attacks in public places.

I dint believe anyone has advocated for that either. Typically, the only advocated for is for MORE people to be publicly armed.

Imagine if just one in 15 or one 20 were armed. With that ratio, typically at least ONE law abiding gun owner is going to be present in most public areas. Often times though, terrorists pick population centers. City's, Downtowns, etc. So you think ok, at any given time downtown their may be 3, maybe 4 CCWs. Now imagine if those CCWs were there when someone starts shooting at people coming from City Hall. If our numbers are right, there should typically be at least one other person with a gun in the vicinity who could potentially stop that threat minutes before Police show up.

In the case of locations like schools: If one of the teachers in one of the classrooms that Psycho shot up had a gun, how many casualties could have been avoided. San Bernadino. If even one person in that office would have been armed, is it really a stretch to imagine they could fire back? I understand that you live abroad, but guns are used quite frequently for Self defense in America. You may not hear about it because the Liberal mainstream doesn't want you to, but that means it doesn't happen. I could link several videos where someone came into a building and started waving guns around and or shooting and they were stopped by a bystander with a gun.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
I'm just interested how citizens believe having a gun would protect them.

Predominately, the gun is a penis substitute, an ego prop, a false sense of security.
Which is, I guess, better than no 'sense of security' for people who need it!

edit on 30-3-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Minus all the ignorant statements made about guns by a few posters there are actually quite a few ways having a gun would help in the type of terrorist attacks we have seen. A firearm being used in a active shooter situation would not have to be used to "stop" the threat. Actually occupying the attackers while the police get themselves geared up would be the most probable outcome. That kind of distraction can save lives.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Funny I never killed anyone with my D##K.
an M60 or M203 yes but NOT my penis.
MOST philosophical or new age types are so anti war ,their grasp of the mechanics of it are skewed to 2 dimentional,characters seemingly below them.
They forget what would happen if we didn't volunteer and we weren't so successful. DEATH is scary to you isn't it?
If you actually think this way,I am indeed rewarded as I am FAR more intelligent and experienced than yourself.
AND I can destroy you in debate as THAT is what I do.
YOU may indeed have some grasp of the great beyond but your grip on reality is tenuous at best.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I walked around in a parade with my Batleth.
wearing a broadsword is popular at our RENFEST, Where people act like YOU.
I would believe you would find it QAINT ...after we went SHOOTING at the range of course...
edit on 30-3-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Heh...noisy, smelly guns!

Still, at least it's a point and click interface inside of fifty yards

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

You should try that cowboy shooting, it's a blast to fan a pistol better than a subgun for accuraccy at close range.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Personally, if I was to fire a firearm for the first time, I think I would avoid that particular method until I had secured some practice in the basics! Seems a safer way to roll!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I've trained up scouts to shoot expert using a DIME on the barrel when you pull the trigger.
In the prone position, If you jerk it the trigger the dime falls.Once you do that 10 times without disturbing the dime,shooting at a range is EASY.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: MayanBoricua
a reply to: anxiouswens

There was a Draw Muhammad Day in the Outskirts of Dallas, Texas a while back. A few muslims got angry and decided to go shoot up the building it was being held at.
The assault didnt even last 30 seconds, and the didnt make it ten feet from the car before they were gunned down. No one was hit in the crossfire, and guns were put away once the threat ended.
Thats what happens when you mess with Texas.

Bunch of redneck idiots go out of their way to insult a religion they do not understand. Don't mess with Texas? Don't try and think they are playing with a full deck of cards. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Grow up.

In that case , if you are ever in a situation as described hold up a "peace sign" with your left hand. That way I will know you and I promise I will not use my firearm to assist you in any way.

Redacted
edit on 30-3-2016 by uncommitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix
a reply to: uncommitted

What gives you the idea that we are rednecks or idiots??? As far as understanding a religion, child brides, FGM, beheadings, and so on and so forth, I think we have a clear understanding of what we don't like. Ohh and yes it is for the most part a bad idea to mess with Texas.

Why would I say idiots? Hmmmm, feeling the need for a 'draw Mohammed day' when even most people would appreciate the cultural insensitivity that exposes to people who would on the whole be extremely moderate. That's just childish idiocy. BTW, you can't mess with a plot of land, it has no awareness it's being messed with.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I wish you were around at my range from time to time. The closest one to me (outdoor) has tactical bays where some serious idiots like to shoot.

I was practicing for a three gun race when I started hearing wizzing around and lone behold some idiots were standing in the back of their pickup firing with double pistols.

Same place in the target bays had some idiot with two girls waving his gun around trying to get a jam out.

This was in the Texas hill country.

Point is the gun isn't enough you need to train.

I spend about 2-3 hours a week doing all kinds of shooting and I still worry about being able to shoot my bersa .380 with accuracy past 15 yards under stress. Concealed hand guns without sights or low profile sights are not a fail-safe. Sure give me a rifle or shot gun and I feel much more comfortable. Most people carry small belly guns. Those aren't going to do much in most cases except save yourself from getting jacked.
edit on 30-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Funny I never killed anyone with my D##K.
an M60 or M203 yes but NOT my penis.
MOST philosophical or new age types are so anti war ,their grasp of the mechanics of it are skewed to 2 dimentional,characters seemingly below them.

Now that we have the foreplay out of the way...

They forget what would happen if we didn't volunteer and we weren't so successful.

If you want to call me names and refer to 'me' in those left-handed remarks, please have the honesty to be straightforward about it.
Why in the world would I answer to your complaints about some imaginary "them"?
I an not a 'they'!
Get it?

And don't 'forget'!?
I look at 130,000 years of your 'guns', in one form or another, at 130,000 years of violence to get 'this', to defend 'that'!
I see the insanity of defending ancient practices that have NEVER worked in the first place, and I certainly think that all of you insane people who want to own and carry guns, and go off and kill each other and leave us healthy people to go about out peaceful Loving practices.
It won't be me threatening your guns, babe!
Knock yourselves out!
Evolution will proceed, as always...

DEATH is scary to you isn't it?

No, dear, I'm far too old for there to be any fear of death!
And, besides, there is no 'fear' in unconditional Love!
But, you wouldn't know that, would you?
Which is why YOU need your guns and the false sense of security they bring.
Kinda like a religion! *__-

If you actually think this way,I am indeed rewarded as I am FAR more intelligent and experienced than yourself.
AND I can destroy you in debate as THAT is what I do.
YOU may indeed have some grasp of the great beyond but your grip on reality is tenuous at best.

Any time you want to debate in front of a philosophical jury, junior, I'd be happy to leave you straining to attack me! *__-
You have already displayed many weak points...
And that out of control ego is one....

Now take a breath and have a beer (that is what you shooters do, right?)...

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Predominately, the gun is a penis substitute, an ego prop, a false sense of security. Which is, I guess, better than no 'sense of security' for people who need it!

A penis substitute, eh? Ego prop? False sense of security? Wow, did you come up with those all by yourself???

So lacking in argument you stoop to playground insults? Well played, nameless, well played.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

REASONABLY articulate, and your major point of conversation is a belittling reference to our crotches and NOW you think you have been wronged by my words.
I give a S##T.
You're wrong again.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join