It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Worst Bleaching Ever' Observed on the Great Barrier Reef

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
'Worst Bleaching Ever' Observed on the Great Barrier Reef

^ (first thing that came to mind while reading headline)

But in all seriousness, these are the words of marine biologists, not comic book guy:

It’s “the worst bleaching ever seen on what was the healthiest part of the Great Barrier Reef,” Dr. Mark Eakin, the Coordinator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Coral Reef Watch, told me. “It’s quite sad.”

A new survey conducted by Professor Terry Hughes of James Cook University, who used charter planes and helicopters to conduct an aerial survey of the reef, found that as much as 95 percent of the northern section of the Reef—an area spanning 100,000 square kilometers (38,600 square miles)—was “severely” bleached.

The Great Barrier Reef is the largest organic structure on the planet. It can be seen from space. It is a world heritage site.

It is in heaps and heaps of trouble.

Coral bleaching has long been predicted as a "canary in the coal mine" signal for the arrival of some bad news climate disruption. This is not an isolated incident either:

Eakin adds that while the plight of the GBR is making headlines, there are other reefs that are currently faring even worse. The water was so warm in Fiji that it wasn’t just bleaching that grew severe—fish were straight-up dying off. The inshore reefs of New Caledonia are also in deep trouble, as are those in Kiribati, where Eakin’s colleagues are currently returning from an expedition with what he expects will be extraordinarily dire news.

All of which is to say: The world’s reefs, one of our most colorful, vibrant ecosystems, are going white. Many are dying off. Some experts, as I’ve noted before, fear that this is the beginning of the end of coral itself.

When I asked Eakin just how dire the situation was, he responded with a two-word sentence.

“Very dire.”

Uh oh: scientists using words like "fear" and "very dire". That's the trigger for establishment apologists to now label this some government funded gibberish. Because what the hell do marine biologists know about coral reefs that free-market think tanks don't. Please observe** how cool-as-a-cucumber they need you to know they look in the face of such alarmist alarmism.

**(pictured at top of post)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This has been known for decades yet the Australian government criminally continue to neglect it, with the encouragement of high pollutant shipping lanes and the US dropping bombs there during military exercises.

Infuriates me.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

This is sad, we humans are failing miserably at looking after our home...

I am planning to go to Whitsundays in the next couple of months and spend some time viewing the reef i will make sure to take lots of photos....

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Well that kind of narrative just doesn't fit the "scientists getting paid to say stuff so I have to pay more taxes" meme.

The brilliant conspiracy theory that explains why Terry Hughes was quoted as follows:

The government has not been listening to us for the past 20 years,

I'm really angry that the government isn't listening to us, to the evidence we've been providing to them since 1998.

Great Barrier Reef coral bleaching at 95 per cent in northern section, aerial survey reveals

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I am planning to go to Whitsundays in the next couple of months and spend some time viewing the reef i will make sure to take lots of photos....

Hold on to them. We really may be the last generation to see this amazing natural wonder alive.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I think I may love you for that laugh. It caught be unawares.

Then you made me sad. I read about this on and off for a while now. There is just so much we are doing to the planet...no way we can ever go back.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Isn't our government wonderful?

We also apparently, in Australia, don't believe climate change exists.
Because it's ALWAYS hot here, so what's a few extra degrees gonna do, eh?
Our government is only fixated on foreign trade and investment, privatisation, and making sure we keep all those coal mining companies happy, even if it ruins our "PROTECTED" nature sites. Because minimising national debt (which really is nowhere near as bad as hyped up to be) is more important than the environment and sustainability of our future.
Geez guys, didn't you already know this?

new topics

top topics

join