It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Agrees To Raise Minimum Wage To $15

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
California Agrees To Raise Minimum Wage To $15

And that means WHAT ?

Other than the state gets more money to blow because the more someone makes the more they pay in taxes.

Which means any wage increase is effective NIL.

Of course that's bad news for employers.

That now have to shell out more cash for their employees social security, and medicare, and unemployment, workmans comp benefits.

Go California!

Absolutely asinine!.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

OOoooOOOOoohh. Okay. So - you go ahead and keep paying for the food stamps and public housing and medicare/medicaid, if it doesn't bother you....right? And also SHOP at those places, like WalMart, and McDonalds, whose employees are underpaid. They might as well just jack all the prices up at retail, save the bureaucratic bullsh!t, and tell shoppers -

"You like these low prices? Cool! It seems all good then! Except Joe and Mary have to get foodstamps. And YOU have to pay for the foodstamps. You pay either way. You pay enough NOW, at the checkout, or you pay LATER, via taxes. We will continue to off-shore jobs, evade taxes, and visit the Caymans every six months. Toodles! Thanks for shopping!"

Either way, it's YOUR MONEY making up the difference, NOT THE CORPORATIONS OR THE STOCKHOLDERS.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Piss off.

It is all about buying power. If you think that the recipient of that raise to $15 per hour is going to be any better off because of it you are stupid.

Right now you are saying that somebody making minimum wage can't afford things like rent, food and other items. I've got some bad news for you. when they are making $15 per hour they STILL won't be able to afford them. This fixes NOTHING.

The guy om minimum wage right now($7.10) can't afford $400 per month for rent. So what's he going to do when he makes $15 per hour and his rent goes to $800 per month?

This whole "living wage" BS is a scam by politicians and unions. Many union contracts are tied to the "minimum wage". So when it goes up, their members get an automatic pay raise that they don't have to negotiate for. As a result of that their "dues" also go up, meaning that the unions have more money to give to politicians.

Wake up and smell what you are being shoveled. if I thought that raising the minimum wage would do any good, I'd be totally in favor of it. I've worked my share of those jobs when the minimum wage was $3 an hour and below.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

'Piss off', you say?
LOL!!

Did I piss you off? (Good!) Not my fault you don't know algebra or how to use common sense. Grow up.

Go ahead, then: keep paying for their cost of living. Don't blame the shareholders and corporate executives, by all means.
And don't miss this year's Black Friday riots! Walmart shoppers - always keepin' it classy!!! You might even get on youtube or the local news!!

I've been working since I was 12, pal, that's 45 years now. Shove it.

edit on 3/31/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Small businesses will be hurt as will small communities, or so I thought. But then I read this:

Anyone working for very small businesses: Under federal law, an employer doesn't have to pay the minimum wage to a worker if the company's annual gross sales are less than $500,000 and if it doesn't do any business across state lines, according to Tsedeye Gebreselassie, a staff attorney at the National Employment Law Project.

Teenage trainees: Federal law allows employers to pay $4.25 an hour -- $3 less than the current federal minimum -- to anyone under 20 for the first 90 days of employment, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Maryland, which just increased its state minimum wage to $10.10, now exempts those under 20 for the first 180 days, during which employers are allowed to pay them 15% less than the state minimum.

Federal law also lets employers pay 85% of the federal minimum (or $6.16/hour) to full-time students working in retail or service businesses, in an agricultural occupation, or at an institute of higher education.

They are also allowed to pay just 75% of the minimum wage (or $5.44/hour) to students who are employed part-time as part of a vocational training program at an accredited school.
[SNIP]
Other exempt workers: Other groups exempt from federal minimum wage protection include newspaper delivery people, occasional babysitters, employees of small circulation newspapers, those elected to state and local government offices (and their staffs); and anyone who works for some seasonal businesses such as amusement parks and summer camps.

money.cnn.com...

Also, disabled employees can also be exempt.

So my question, does State law super cede Federal law? If not, out of 1360 cities in CA, 689 with a population over 4,000
671 with a population under 4,000, 500 of which have a population under 2,000. So almost half the cities in CA have small populations with, more than likely, small businesses as well. Also, a small business in a larger city will not be able to compete with larger and higher wage paying businesses.

There may not be as many employees helped as people think and many businesses will fold, as well as larger businesses automating more so, using fewer humans to handle business. It's hard to tell whether this is a good move or not for CA. It's one I believe we'll have to wait and see. It might not work in every state simply for the sake of sheer numbers in consumers and goods/services sold. Again, time will tell. Unfortunately, it's a LONG time to wait.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join