It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Agrees To Raise Minimum Wage To $15

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, you are right. It doesn't matter. And yeah, you are.
Glad you at least own up to it.

ha

So you want to promote class division?

Glad you at least own up to it.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

That's ridiculous.
YOU are the one talking about profits above all, and the employees be damned.
YOU are the member dissing social safety nets.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

So 15/hour wages are government safety nets?

???

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

$15/hour is a livable wage. Your precious profits do not warrant people being on welfare because their Wall-Street-Traded employers won't pay them enough.

Do you seriously not understand "Corporate Welfare"? It's when YOU AND I pay to make up the difference between what they're paid and what they NEED TO SURVIVE.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Actually corporate welfare is bailouts from government.

If 15/hour is a livable wage, then when it stops being a livable wage, do we raise it to 20/hour?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

That's very cool. Cool and good to hear.
But - then - WHY are you against Bernie?
I'm confused by your posts, man.

The only people I know even thinking about supporting Bernie are people that have or have had some kind of government job, either local, state, and especially federal, people that make their living off of taxpayer dollars in some capacity...oh, and, of course, the kids...freebies and all that.

These supporters probably get or will get some kind of government pension, and so get all giddy and excited about the prospects of the government taxing producers even more.

Bernie wants to tax corporations and businesses to the max. He always quotes the Eisenhower years. That makes me laugh. Our economy has changed since the 50's in so many ways it is laughable to use a near-ancient model of taxation.

401(k)s didn't even start until 1978. So many of the average person's RETIREMENT is dependent upon how well companies do and the better they do, the more return on your investment you receive. Better prospects for a better retirement.

Taxing corporations to death can't be good for the average worker, much less their retirement income.

Who gets those big taxes? Government. So, government gets bigger and bigger, full of bloat and bureaucrats, and at some point the head will have to eat its tail.
edit on 28-3-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with Kali having a $15 min wage...burgers will get cooked and Walmsrt will keep the shelfs stocked...perhaps a MacD owner buys a slightly smaller second home...but Johnny may only need two rather than four room mates to cover the rent.

The Doors lyric...the West is the best, get here and we will do the rest...let it roll baby roll..

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So here a problem that happened when Minimum wage was increased. A few of the companies here in Cali that raised minimum wage from $8.75 to $10 hour, decreased everyone's hours that they worked. Instead of working 40 hours week, they now work 31 to 37.5 hours a week. Companies still work on the 5-7% labor budget. If you increase wage, they decrease hours. Still make the same amount of $$.

edit on 28-3-2016 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2016 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Geez. Cost of living in CA is already so high already. I feel bad for my parents.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
"The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 since 2009."
(From the op article)

Plus it doesn't get to $15/hrs until 2022.

There should have been some type of increase every year or two. Or at least an attempt when the cost of living goes up massively. At this rate maybe it'll be $20/hr by 2030....🙄

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

I think I'd be trying to persuade them to leave.

I have some cousins and an aunt and uncle out there. I think of them too.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
(From the op article)

There should have been some type of increase every year or two. Or at least an attempt when the cost of living goes up massively. At this rate maybe it'll be $20/hr by 2030....🙄

And what will everything else cost by then?

I can guarantee you that none of the rest of us will get raises along with the wage floor. So basically, you are asking for the rest of us to have our livings devalued, while everything else in the economy gets more expensive to reflect the change in labor costs.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The government will then provide you with a safety net.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: snowspirit
(From the op article)

And what will everything else cost by then?

I can guarantee you that none of the rest of us will get raises along with the wage floor. So basically, you are asking for the rest of us to have our livings devalued, while everything else in the economy gets more expensive to reflect the change in labor costs.

That's the problem. The cost of everything goes up, so wages have to also, or too many people end up on welfare. Unfortunately it's a vicious circle, but wages can't stay low unless the cost of living does too.
I have absolutely no idea how this vicious circle stops, but everyone's wages need to go up accordingly as well. And yes, prices then go up, again...(but they will anyways)....

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Try to all the time. My dad wants to pick up and go to Montana, but he'll never leave his grandkids lol. And he would have a tough time convincing Mom too.

I keep trying to convince my wife to move to Alaska! But we're already too far from family as it is. Miss em all the time.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Yeah, in EIGHT YEARS!
Big deal!
$15,/hr in 8 years is still less than $10./hr now!

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: onequestion

Yeah, in EIGHT YEARS!
Big deal!
$15,/hr in 8 years is still less than $10./hr now!

Interesting point.

So the proposal fools the poor into thinking they're getting something when they aren't, without actually addressing the problem that HIGH PAYING JOBS ARE GONE and everyone is fighting over bottom wages.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
All the people that were making 15-20 dollars an hour before are now going to see their purchasing power drop into the poorest bracket of society as inflation will compensate, particularly on goods held or,produced in California, like rent, real estate and services.

If inflation wasnt bad enough there, its only going to get a lot worse, and the rest of,the country will help,subsidize it through paying higher prices for a lot of food. Jobs will decrease. Unemployment will rise as well as the needed social programs to compensate the new poor. Which the rest of us will also pay for.

What a load of ****.
Who are these ignorant oafs running the asylum?

Furthermore, businesses will continue to move out of California, creating even more unemployment. The peolple will follow, to places like texas where we dont have ridiculous minimum wages,and actually have jobs, and these people will then vote to increase the minimum wage here, and thus destroying anoter economy before moving on again.
edit on 28-3-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I never worked a minimum wage job nor has anyone I know except when they were 15-16 years old.
In the 80s I made from $100-$300 a day cash giving surfing lessons at Waikiki Beach. Why? Because the alternative of working minimum wage was and is repulsive to me.
I raised my minimum wage myself.
When I needed stability I joined the carpenters union and completed an apprenticeship. After having two spinal surgeries due to work I went and earned a bachelors degree in construction management. I continued to raise my minimum wage.
Now I'm a superintendent building a Saks Fifth Ave and guess what? I want more $. I sold myself to another company, let the company I work for now know and there's now a bidding war going on for my work. In the end I raised my own minimum wage, no one else.
Do I have4 to go on about Oprah, Ice Cube, Eddie Van Halen or any other people that came from less than rich parents and smashed their minimum wage?
You can do anything, be what you want if you truly want it.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: onequestion

Painful truth, but labor is supply and demand like everything else. If the job is so easy that you can train someone to be competent at it in a few minutes or hours, tops, then the supply is enormous. The only way someone distinguishes themselves at such a task is to always be on time, always work diligently, but even that is only going to take you so far when so very many other people (virtually everyone else on the planet) can step into your spot on a moment's notice.

The scarcer the supply, the higher the demand, and the more the job will command.

If you don't like the idea that you are only fit for a crap job, you get educated so that you have skills that make you marketable in range of jobs that have a tighter supply.

And, of course, there is no guarantee that any of us won't find ourselves out having to work at a crap job to cobble ends together tomorrow, but if you have the skills, you can keep working your way up off the bottom rather than whining about how crappy your life is and how you deserve to be paid what you think you want instead of actually doing something to earn it.

^^^This

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join