It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Able to Hack San Bernadino Shooters iPhone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Trying to post this on an iPhone, so bear with me while I edit the link. But the just if it is the FBI was finally able to hack into the infamous iPhone.

From the article:

"Federal officials said Monday that they have unlocked the iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino shooters and are dropping a request in front of a federal judge that sought to force Apple to help with that effort.

The move comes a week after officials announced a "third party" had come forward to help investigators unlock the phone without help from the computer giant. It's unclear what the FBI found on the phone."

Link to LA Times article: LA Times

And my own iPhone autocorrected Bernardino apparently losing the other r...

Glad the third party was able to help the Feds out and now all this iPhone nonsense can be put to bed!

But, then again, who is this "third party" and why are they able to do something the FBI could not??
edit on 28-3-2016 by lovebeck because: Added link, info from article.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I wonder if the Feds took up John McAfee on his offer? They will never admit it, and I am sure they paid him well enough to keep his mouth shut.

John McAfee: FBI should let me hack iPhone

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So... will Apple file a DMCA suit against the FBI's third party?

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

From Day #1 I found it highly improbable that the FBI "needed" Apple to show them how to do this... it was all semantics and the GOV in bed with Apple, putting on a show to help Apple boost sales because they were "protecting the little guy" (total bullsh*t)

Mainstream media and propaganda is so predictable these days, it's pathetic how easily people fall for it

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

From Day #1 I found it highly improbable that the FBI "needed" Apple to show them how to do this... it was all semantics and the GOV in bed with Apple, putting on a show to help Apple boost sales because they were "protecting the little guy" (total bullsh*t)

Mainstream media and propaganda is so predictable these days, it's pathetic how easily people fall for it

That's possible as well.

Maybe the SCOTUS is getting nervous in their rulings as of late and the FEDS were told not to push the issue in court. All speculation of course.....

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Apple could have maintained the mystique and bragging rights of being unbreakable if only they cooperated in investigating muslim terrorist murderers.

Now it will be widely known their security can be defeated.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Good!!

terrorists who killed innocent people's- phone..

remember that's what the # we are talking abou, absolutely, unlock it and hunt down anyone who was complicit or had knowledge.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
So much for the great powerful FBI. I suppose everyone working on this in the FBI will get a raise despite their inability.
edit on 3/28/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Maybe this will free up some agents to assist the 147 FBI agents who are already working on the Hillary email scandal.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

All they are doing, the fbi, is essentially brute forcingredients the phone. They make an image of the os/memory on the chip so they have a clean backup, try passwords till it locks, then refresh the good image back on, viola! Infinite amount of password tries, at least until the flash chip dies

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

They didn't have to. They simply followed the instructable linked earlier in the week.

Is anyone surprised? The notion that *any* smartphone is a secure platform is laughable.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Maybe this will free up some agents to assist the 147 FBI agents who are already working on the Hillary email scandal.

Scandal ?

Pig Vomit Clinton said it's a "Compliance Check".

If all 147 FBI Agents say PV Clinton did nothing wrong.

I will never mention it again.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
so from now on will the police be able to hack all iphones if you refuse to open yours up for them as is like a stop and search ?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

You don't even need to use a physical chip. No flaky single memory chip to deal with once its in the emulator and you store a baseline backup. Just load it into an emulator in a VM. All you do is refresh the VM each time the device locks after failed attempts. Automate the process and press the button....let it spin until it unlocks.

Not rocket science folks, just industry standard Software Development/QA testing tools.

FBI = Fails Being Innovative

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: seeker1963

They didn't have to. They simply followed the instructable linked earlier in the week.

Is anyone surprised? The notion that *any* smartphone is a secure platform is laughable.

Do you think I am going to disagree?

The whole deal was nothing more than to put more surveillance without reasonable cause or a court order.

Fun times!

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tempestking
so from now on will the police be able to hack all iphones if you refuse to open yours up for them as is like a stop and search ?

I was wrong, but I wasn't convinced anyway when I first thought that nobody would come up with what you say, with all that entails.

The dilemma of being an innocent comms user as opposed to an active terrorist whatever, remains.
However I still think new law is needed to protect innocent people form government machinations. God knows how that could be.
edit on 28-3-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
So... will Apple file a DMCA suit against the FBI's third party?

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Good!!

terrorists who killed innocent people's- phone..

remember that's what the # we are talking abou, absolutely, unlock it and hunt down anyone who was complicit or had knowledge.

I agree. Apple should've done that from the jump.

I'm just curious if we will ever learn of the third party's identity.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Glad the third party was able to help the Feds out and now all this iPhone nonsense can be put to bed!

if you seriously think that this court case was a simple as that, then you are a fool.

This is what it was actually about:

"The United States government has demanded that Apple take an unprecedented step which threatens the security of our customers. We oppose this order, which has implications far beyond the legal case at hand," Cook said.

www.cnbc.com...

But, then again, who is this "third party" and why are they able to do something the FBI could not??

And if you had paid attention to the case then you would know it was an Israeli firm who cracked it:

Cellebrite, an Israeli mobile forensic software company, is aiding the Federal Bureau of Investigation in its quest to unlock the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters, Israeli media reported.

www.rt.com...

If you don't fight for your digital rights, then maybe it is best to live with your head in the sand.
edit on -180002016-03-28T19:22:14-05:000000001431201614032016Mon, 28 Mar 2016 19:22:14 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Steve Jobs just rolled over.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join