It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Government Of Indonesia Restrictions in Tsunami Effort, Refugees Want Troops To Stay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Personally I don't blame them for wanting to take some control, I' mean, would we like other countries running around our countries armed? I wouldn't. The Australian troops have been there from the start & the agreement was that they are not to be armed. If the Indonesian Govt fear for the safety of the aid workers, isn't it only fair that we abide by their wishes? Reality check guys, think about your feelings in their shoes.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Fig,

Its not about the right to bear arms and its not like they are running around thier country. Were talking about a disaster zone. Also they are the only country thats making a fuss

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Its still their country & they still have the right to have control over whats going one there, even with the distribution of aid. Perhaps they could have been nicer about it & not given us a time limit to leave, but I'm thinking that the USA folks would be none too happy to have the people of the world in their country ( helping with a disaster like this ) & nobody taking charge of the situation, eg: their Govt.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I doubt it, whenver we have had a disaster, IE: Loma Prieta Quake, of Florida Hurricanes, Liz Menelli, we handle it ourselves (We can given out economy etc.) However, this stuff smacks of the give us the money now leave that just drives me nuts. Its not like they wanted to set up an airbase or something

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yeah well the Indonesian Govt are not known for their tollerance of western culture or countries, so it's not suprising. The only thing I can say is that I'm suprised that they didn't come out & say anything sooner. I'm doubting that deadline will be met, there's so much to do. If the aid owrkers abide by their wishes then they are pretty much guaranteeing that their military will guarantee their safety. I know what I'd be doing if I was there.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
To be fair, The government of Indonesia is defending its actions:

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (Reuters) - Indonesia said on Thursday restrictions on aid workers in Aceh were for their own safety in a province troubled by a decades-old insurgency, and voiced readiness to sit down with the rebels to seek a cease-fire.

As aid agencies and Indonesian government officials put the limitations into effect, palpable signs emerged that the devastated region was beginning to pull itself together after the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami.

Responce

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
While the Indoneasian government is saying that all troops will be out of the country by March 26th, those directly affected want them to stay.

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - Jordanian military doctors treat patients at a clinic inside a refugee camp, while Australian and German troops swarm around the city's main hospital making repairs. The buzz of U.S. military helicopters has become so routine it's now ignored

Foreign troops have been a key lifeline in the tsunami relief effort — and welcomed warmly in Aceh province despite its history of resistance to outside forces. Though the government says it wants foreign soldiers to leave by March 26, refugees say they hope the troops will stay as long as needed — provided they stick to aid work and don't establish permanent bases.

"If they leave, we will starve," said Syarwan, 27, a tailor who is now crowded with some 45 relatives under a tarp at a survivor camp in the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.
Troops

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I am getting quite a bit of mixed messages here. From the original news thread, it appeared that armed troops were the problem. Are they now saynig that ALL foreign troops, whether ARMED OR NOT must leave ?

If so, this is strange.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Yes, it is a bit confusing. However, they were clear from the beginning that the foreign troops, mainly the U.S. marines were to be un armed. However, they all get the boot unarmed or not on March 26th. I hope for the people sake all the work is done because Indoneasia has shown it cannot take care of its own.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Fred, can't say too much on this but we have not been informed and we have a very sizeable presence there. In fact, ideas have been mooted for long term assistance on rehabilitation and re-construction. Army engineers are preparing construction equipment.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join