It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I really hate our damn consumerist society.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
There have been times and there are still places where people didn't / don't have as much leisure time as some do now.

A lot of complaints could be made about the moral fibre of 'the people' but I wouldn't begrudge them their holidays. It's not my business if they spend their time in religious contemplation or indulging their appetites. The point is, a person's time is high on the list of the most important things they have.

Good for them if they have more of it to spend freely.

I'm not religious but can see the value of educating people in ethics - that's a programme I'd support.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

But at the end of the day we will die.....

And all those fancy trinkets we surrounded ourselves with will not come with us. They will just cause fights among the living who we left behind over who gets to have them

There's always something to look forward to

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: markosity1973
We upgrade our phones not because our old one is worn out, but because the new model does one more 'thing' than the old one and we don't want to be laughed or sneered at by 'that guy' who just bought one.

Not everyone. My last 2 phones conveniently went wonky within a month of my 2 year contracts coming due. Planned obsolecence is very real in electronics and it's creeping into other things...

Lolz buy an HTC next time - 4 years and still going on the original quadcore one model.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: 3danimator2014
Things are becoming more and more shallow and less and less genuine.

Have you considered that part of what you feel may be because you're getting older?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

I don't know if 25 is old these days. Suppose it could be.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

It's less about how they spend their free time, more about how people spread across the nation don't care about things.. Pushing and fighting in a line of people on Thanksgiving night to receive slight discounts on old models of products is how they are spending their time, right after the day they were meant to express gratitude for what they had.

It's not a judgment of each individual, but of society as a whole.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

One other thing...life without cable tv is such a peaceful bliss...recommend blackout consumer media well worth your time

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

a reply to: ForteanOrg

I don't know if 25 is old these days. Suppose it could be.

Nah, that won't be it then. I must say that I'm amazed that such a young person already is fed up with todays consumerism. But I am actuall hopeful - you and your generation will be in charge soon and you may change all this. For starters, vote Sanders

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Oh I don't watch cable TV. Occasionally I watch Netflix, but not so much a these days. I'll have to look up whet you mentioned.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I think I understand some of your frustrations and I think they are warranted. I agree that in some respects, there is an unhealthy obsession with having the newest gadget. I know a few people whom are CONSTANTLY upgrading their phones for example. I personally find it odd but at the same time it's their money that they gained by spending their time working, so it's basically none of my business. (I realize you aren't writing specifically about phones).

As a bit of a side note, as others on this thread have mentioned, while I have zero proof I'm convinced that for the past several years phones have been designed to fail (perhaps something in software). I can't get myself to believe that almost like clockwork, just as our contracts are up and we are eligible for an upgrade, our phones start going on the fritz. I mean, EVERY.... SINGLE.... TIME.

One thing I do take issue with in your rant though is when you wrote:

Christians don't give a damn about Jesus. They care about their vacations, time off work, shoving sugar down their throat until they can't anymore, hardly any mentions of crosses or atonements or anything at all dealing with Christ, benevolence, gratefulness of a savior, nope.

Unless you're a mind-reader, I'm not sure you are qualified to state what is in the hearts and minds of others. If someone attends religious services and are generous with their money as well as with their time and energy, who are you to say what people believe in or what they care about? Actually, even if someone does not attend services, how can you speak to what they think and believe?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Rants are not meant to be taken as gospel, it's hardly something I believe to my very core of anything, simply my own observation. I saw more Christians celebrating gluttony and excess than I saw celebrating Jesus. It's not to say I have all, or even some of the facts though. And I certainly don't know their hearts

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
More than fair.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Tiamat384

It applies to more than religion.

July 4th I hear less about freedom and liberty, more about beer and fishing.

I'm disappointed that our nation is so apathetic about everything.

More and more the reasons for most American holidays are being chased out of public discourse. You cannot have religion in the public square because not all are religious, so that puts a heavy emphasis on the secular (read consumerist) side of any holiday that was previously mostly religious.

We cannot be proud to be American anymore. There is no such thing as patriotism. We skip that degree and head straight on into jingoism now, and we have to be sensitive to our neighbors who might not like our heavy-handed jingoistic displays on the 4th ... so, yeah, it's all about beer and BBQ (read consumerism).

We are slowly being cut away from our own roots, religion, and culture in the name of not offending others, but it's a purposeful design. If we cannot celebrate who and what we are, we lose sense of what there is to fight for and preserve and thus we can be molded in a way more to the liking of our so-called betters.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Oh I don't watch cable TV. Occasionally I watch Netflix, but not so much a these days. I'll have to look up whet you mentioned.

What do you mean by "I'll have to look up what you mentioned"? you are using present tense and past tense in same sentence...so I don't get what you mean

edit on 29-3-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Might not be directly related to the thread, but reading the posts in here reminded me of something i had read a while ago by a creative. he said that what he sometimes did was a TOTAL image blackout. No TV, no newspapers, no billboards, nothing with an image on. he avoids it all. He read books, you listened to the radio, music, news etc...just no images. The point being that our brains are so bombarded with imagery everyday and everywhere we look that we have very few original thoughts.

So, the point of the blackout, done for a week if i recall, is to cleanse your brain of all the images you see everyday and let your imagination take over. He said that hes never as creative or as "good" (for lack of any other word) as he is when he does that. Get your own personal juices flowing rather than subconsciously leaching from elsewhere.

I keep meaning to try it, but i live in central London...so its kind of impossible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join