It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any programs that finds drivers for you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

I have tried a search and I couldn't find anything(I suck)

I have a wireless network usb adapter (generic) 802.11n wlan adapter

I got this off of ebay it never came with a cd but on other computers windows update finds the correct driver while hardwired to modem.

one of my computers I can't get it to update with windows. I can't find a suitable driver from the net.

is there anything out there, hopefully free, that finds drivers or has all the possible drivers for dang near everything out there to download?

I should note the computers the adaper has worked on is win 7/vista

The problem computer is running xp

Thanks for your help and intput.

J

edit on 27-3-2016 by jickler because: added needed info

edit on 27-3-2016 by jickler because: fixing booboos

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jickler

If its an old windows version...some XP's, 7's, 8...etc...'some are no longer updateable, or at least really hard to do so....but Im sure some members here can help.Not entirely impossible...

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Try this one that i use www.iobit.com...

Or go back to the vista computer and download the driver onto a usb flash drive

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Another vote here for Iobit, which in the past has found me some drivers I haven't been able to find for myself. It's simple to use, and nicely free too.

edit on 27-3-2016 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

3DP Chip

Used it on a lot of older machines.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Motorhead

The simple to use and free gets me everytime !

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Uber or Lyft are the most widely used I think.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As for drivers sometimes a manual search is best,

on the USB device there should be model and serial numbers, or if you look in the device manager on the details tab you should be able to find a hardware ID that describes the item sort of like,

PCIVEN_14E4&DEV_1680&SUBSYS_04291028&REV_10

that code right there tell you most everything you need to do the search for the driver by manufacture of the chipset that self identifies (most 99% of the time unknown devices will still give this code...)

Couple that info with The version of your OS, which can be found on the System page like for example mine is

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit

if you need even tighter details then that some versions can get you down to the version Number of your OS,

For example

Evaluation Copy.Build 14279.rs1_release.160229-1700 (yes I know I need to upgrade to the new release but it chokes my laptop every time)

The Hardware ID in Bing or google should get you close to what you need, it may be preferable to choose links to the hardware manufacture like if it is a Cisco device then you want Cisco.com not Maybeyourfreedriver.com. Most of these sites have legacy drivers available if you look for them.

Bear in mind when you looking drivers some times you will find better comparability in reverse operation system order, for up to ME drivers 95 drivers may work, while up to XP, the drivers from NT 4.0 on up are plausible fits, When it comes to windows 7,8,8.1,X the Vista Drivers are the Lowest you can go.

Hope that information Helps...

CoBaZ

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Try this one that i use www.iobit.com...

Or go back to the vista computer and download the driver onto a usb flash drive

NO. Do not try that one. Anything from iobit is rogueware/junkware. They are a well known scammer among techs.

There are no legitimate tools that search for drivers, that I'm aware of. All of the existing ones are either malware or loaded with adware. Go to the manufacturers website, and put in the model number, or give me the model number, and I'll see if I can find it for you.
edit on 3/27/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Wow i have never come across that before Klassified i have been using their products for years

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Wow i have never come across that before Klassified i have been using their products for years

It's your computer, and I won't try and tell you what to do with it. But remove it, and your machine will likely run better, and be less vulnerable to the crashes I've seen their programs cause. iobit system mechanic has taken out many machines over the years, and their other software is no better.
ETA: Some of iobits programs are written to look like they are doing something, when in fact, they are doing nothing but a dog and pony show.

Note that I'm not an amateur. I'm a working tech, and have been for decades. For whatever that's worth to you.

edit on 3/27/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Thanks for the tip Klassified , i am a rank amateur when it comes to computers , what would you recommend rather than iobit software , as i have quite a bit of it running in this computer

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the tip Klassified , i am a rank amateur when it comes to computers , what would you recommend rather than iobit software , as i have quite a bit of it running in this computer

Depends on what you need.
Anti-virus - Microsoft Security Essentials for a free one that doesn't expire. Windows 8 and 10 have it built in. It's called Windows Defender. If you want something more invasive, try endpoint protection. There are some decent ones out there. Just stay away from AVG. It's total junkware.
Malware programs - Malwarebytes and Super anti-spyware have free versions. Pay attention when installing either one.
Junk file cleaner - Ccleaner. Again. Pay attention when installing. Free programs often offer other free software you likely don't want. Uncheck the boxes next to them.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I use Malwarebites and CCleaner and panda as my anti virus but found Microsoft Security Essentials a little needy , thanks for the heads up as i had been using Advanced system care for years

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I use Malwarebites and CCleaner and panda as my anti virus but found Microsoft Security Essentials a little needy , thanks for the heads up as i had been using Advanced system care for years

Sounds like you're good to go.

Needy? You've got me curious.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

NO. Do not try that one. Anything from iobit is rogueware/junkware. They are a well known scammer among techs.

thats just not true, iobit make perfectly good software that does exactly what it claims to do.
they got into trouble a few yrs back for using malwarebytes data without permission.
thats no reason to assume its 'rogueware/junkware'.
whatever the hell rogue/junkware is.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I found it was always running and using up resources on the cpu mind you that was back in the day when i was using win xp

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I found it was always running and using up resources on the cpu mind you that was back in the day when i was using win xp

Ah. I see. That would be it then. On 7, it uses very little in the way of resources.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

thats just not true, iobit make perfectly good software that does exactly what it claims to do.
they got into trouble a few yrs back for using malwarebytes data without permission.
thats no reason to assume its 'rogueware/junkware'.
whatever the hell rogue/junkware is.

Suit yourself. I won't argue over it. I know my own experiences with it, as well as other techs across the country. None of which will go any where near iobit, except to remove it. But as I said above. It's your computer.
edit on 3/27/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Try driver talent.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join